0%
Heikki Kovalainen
33%
Kamui Kobayashi
10%
Tony Fernandes
No votes
0%
Paul Hembery (Pirelli Motorsport Director)
5%
Karun Chandhok (promoting Indian GP, and his excellent media work alongside)
No votes
0%
Alex Zanardi - there's no stopping this former F1 racer!
10%
Not everyone was constantly in the floodlights in the 2011. Who else do you feel deserves a special mention? There are many contenders, including drivers, team bosses, and other figures in the paddock. Thanks to scotty for suggesting this poll. :)

If you can think of someone else who you think deserves this award, please don't hesitate to mention it below. There's a lot of potential candidates, so I've done my best. :)
Schumacher and Petrov for me.

Schumacher because those in the know who actually know nothing but have loud mouths were unrealisticly expecting him to win races and be back leading the way. The this year the same people were totally binning him and know they are all kissing him backside and saying he's wonderful. Him and Rosberg are an excellent pairing, if not the best pairing in F1 and they have both done a top notch job in a dog of a car, but it has to go to Schumacher for making various pundits backtrack and look like the idiots they really are.

Petrov as he was dropped into being the No 1 Renault driver at the last minute and performed extremely well. He had some mind farts but this is only his 2nd season so he is still learning. He was let down by an underperforming car but I think more podiums would have come had Renault kept up the development. I think he has stepped up to the role unexpectably handed to him very well, given his relative lack of experience.
I voted for Nico Rosberg as he has quietly amassed 89 points with solid drives all season long, but honourable mentions go to Adrian Sutil for the same reasons and Alex Zanardi who, although no longer a F1 driver, his spirit to carry on in adversity in very admirable, many people in his situation would have given up...
Sutil. Hardly got any attention at all with the great year Di Resta has had, but managed to finish ahead of Di Resta and all Renault drivers (even if you were to combine Senna's and Heidfeld's points). Topping it off with the 6th place in Brazil (ahead of the Mercs and behind only Red Bulls, McLarens and Ferrai) is surely going to make the driver decision for next year difficult on Malya.
Wait, what is Zanardi doing there? This is unsung F1 hero of 2011 right? Zanardi was 0% involved with F1 in 2011, so how does he qualify again?
Wait, what is Zanardi doing there? This is unsung F1 hero of 2011 right? Zanardi was 0% involved with F1 in 2011, so how does he qualify again?

Alex Zanardi is a former F1 racer, and he's been in the press a lot recently with his latest successful efforts in hand cycling. The guy has so much determination and drive, despite the accident he had a decade ago.

I decided not to simply confine this poll to current drivers / figures. Being an "UNsung" poll, I felt F1 figures from all wakes could be considered if they've done something worthy of recognition.
My vote would go to Pastor Maldonado. At one of the latter races Jake Humphrey said something along the lines of "Maldonado has had the worst season of any Williams driver in x number of years (maybe ever?) - can't remember the quote exactly but it did grind my gears a bit.

He's been the equal of Barrichello all year - only chance and a very slow car restricted him to 1 point.

Schumacher because those in the know who actually know nothing but have loud mouths were unrealisticly expecting him to win races and be back leading the way. The this year the same people were totally binning him and know they are all kissing him backside and saying he's wonderful. Him and Rosberg are an excellent pairing, if not the best pairing in F1 and they have both done a top notch job in a dog of a car, but it has to go to Schumacher for making various pundits backtrack and look like the idiots they really are.

Eddie? Eddie Jordan, do I hear you say?

I think both Mercedes drivers had strong seasons, the car was further off the pace than the W01 but they hauled it clear of the midfield runners.
Please Ross, give Michael one more championship capable car :rolleyes:
Last edited by JamesD89 on 09 Dec 11, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.

Eddie? Eddie Jordan, do I hear you say?

I didn't name names but if the cap fits, let that particular idiot wear it. :wink:
Heikki for me, He basically was the top driver in qualifying out of the 3 new teams at most GPs and also had some very strong races putting his Lotus where it shouldn't have been.
Heikki for me, He basically was the top driver in qualifying out of the 3 new teams at most GPs and also had some very strong races putting his Lotus where it shouldn't have been.

And did it without a complaint.

And did it without a complaint.

He wouldn't complain if you cut off his hand, he'd probably say "it's ok, I have another".

See our F1 related articles too!