FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

WHICH OF THE TEAMMATES WILL HAVE MORE POINTS AT THE END OF 2011 ?

Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull
20%
Mark Webber - Red Bull
5%
Fernando Alonso - Ferrari
23%
Felipe Massa - Ferrari
2%
Lewis Hamilton - Mclaren
17%
Jenson Button - Mclaren
9%
Nico Rosberg - Mercedes
17%
Michael Schumacher - Mercedes
7%
With RBR and Ferrari, it's an easy question. Vettel and Alonso will easily top their teammates this season.

With regards to McLaren and Merc, it's more difficult, but when I voted on this poll a fair while ago, I selected Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg.
I think the forum membership got it right. I believe being beaten by a team mate would probably have a more profound impact on Lewis' approach to racing than crashing out and not finishing a race where his team mate goes on to win or do well in. I would be surprised if he were beaten, but I wouldn't be surprised if Button does it.

Does that make sense?
I think the forum membership got it right. I believe being beaten by a team mate would probably have a more profound impact on Lewis' approach to racing than crashing out and not finishing a race where his team mate goes on to win or do well in. I would be surprised if he were beaten, but I wouldn't be surprised if Button does it.

Does that make sense?

Yes, I know where you're coming from. :wink::yes:
Button and Hamilton have been very close this year. Hamilton is probably a bit quicker, but Button has been more intelligent in the races. Currently Button is a few points ahead in the championship, but who will win out for the season?

<We can continue to discuss this here, topic merged> WB
By scotty
Still too close between Button and Hamilton, but if Button hadn't had those two unfortunate DNF's he'd be well in front. No doubt he's generally been the better driver too. Hamilton has been SO inconsistent this season, i can't believe it, a far cry from '07. I daren't call it...
Nah, it's too close to call at the moment. This season, they've been very evenly matched. I'll wait a few more races and see if the answer is any clearer...
Right now I would edge towards Jenson (not just because I am a fan); JB seems to be on the ascendency right now and would have been further ahead in points if it weren't for the two retirements through no fault of his own. Lewis' head seems to have dropped judging by today's performance; apparently he needed encouragement to chase down Alonso near the end, not a good sign!
By FRAFPDD
MOA, Scotty.

You cant have your cake and eat it.

" Hes ahead and he sufered two DNF's werent his fault etc"

May i remind you of Mclarens outrageous race strategy for leader Hamilton in Hungary costing him the win to..........well?

May i remind you of Mclarens outrageous fooling around in Q3 Monaco which started Hamilton tenth?

May i remind you of Mclaren short fuelling his car in Silverstone so that he was losing 2 seconds a sector to Massa for two laps?

If your going to start mkaing claims for Jensons superiority itd be nice to include the far greater bad luck Hamilton has suffered, whether he finished the race or not.
Button and Hamilton have been very close this year. Hamilton is probably a bit quicker, but Button has been more intelligent in the races. Currently Button is a few points ahead in the championship, but who will win out for the season?

<We can continue to discuss this here, topic merged> WB

Dear Moderators.

I don't mind at all if topics are merged. However, it may be best to inform the poster when a topic is merged. I was wondering where on earth my thread had gone, and assumed that it was a technical issue, rather than a thread merge. If the thread is merged with one in the same forum, then usually it's easily spotted. But, in a case like this where the thread is merged into another forum, the OP is not necessarily going to know what happened to it.

<good suggestion actually, thanks. It's not always clear given the merged thread's name> WB

I'd agree with those who say that it's too close to call. In my opinion it could even come down to plain luck as to which one of them wins out. Unlike Ferrari and Red Bull where it's very clear who will win the battle of the teammates.
By scotty
A DNF is a far greater penalty than losing some time on track FRAF! Don't worry i hadn't forgotten any of the small incidents Hamilton has suffered (hope you didn't discount any of Button's :wink: ), i just think that his ludicrious driving has more than cancelled out any potential claim for bad luck being the only reason Hamilton is behind. Look at Spa, Button had bad luck in quali but recovered brilliantly.

Yes, Hamilton got unlucky in Monaco quali, but he drove like an amateur in the race and was actually lucky to finish 6th. Hungary - he span the car and got himself a drive through, dunno why the team is to blame for that. In Malaysia and GB Hamilton got unlucky with some things, but Button has had setbacks like those himself.
By f1ea
A DNF is a far greater penalty than losing some time on track FRAF! Don't worry i hadn't forgotten any of the small incidents Hamilton has suffered (hope you didn't discount any of Button's :wink: ), i just think that his ludicrious driving has more than cancelled out any potential claim for bad luck being the only reason Hamilton is behind. Look at Spa, Button had bad luck in quali but recovered brilliantly.

Yes, Hamilton got unlucky in Monaco quali, but he drove like an amateur in the race and was actually lucky to finish 6th. Hungary - he span the car and got himself a drive through, dunno why the team is to blame for that. In Malaysia and GB Hamilton got unlucky with some things, but Button has had setbacks like those himself.

:yes:
You cant have your cake and eat it.

What's the point of having a cake if you can't eat it? :confused:

If your going to start mkaing claims for Jensons superiority itd be nice to include the far greater bad luck Hamilton has suffered, whether he finished the race or not.

The 'bad' luck balances out between the two drivers, you could argue Jenson was robbed of victory in Monaco; the red flag allowed his two rivals for the win to change tyres when they were about to fall off the cliff (of tyre degradation), I would say Jenson and Lewis have been equal, more or less; two retirements each, two wins each, only nine points between them, I'm not claiming superiority, nine points is nothing in today's points system, the difference is that Lewis's retirements were unforced errors while Jenson's retirements were a result of team mistakes or car failure!
By FRAFPDD
I just think you were both cleverly, ill give you that, misrepresenting, or falsifying (like lawyers do in court) certain facts etc to make your argument look stronger.

Im certain you two know what your talking about, and have watched every race this year, as a result, youll know that everytime Jenson has finished a race hes had nothing go wrong to him that wasnt his fault, in about several races this year, that literally means about 7, over half, something has happened in the race, that wasnt Hamiltons fault (i dont mean Monza btw, if you have a poor start and poor SC restart then its self inflicted) that Mclaren has caused with strategy etc, that hasnt affected Button. This UNBELIEVABLY convenient but its the damn straight facts.

I actually urge you to recap the events on Wikipedia or something from Australia to Monza, the races where Hamiltons finishing 4th all the time and once or twice 6th or 7th have quite literally always been the fault of poor strategy, Lewis has done nothing wrong.

Do i believe they favour Button actively, not anymore, but i still believe the favour him passively and this has an affect, but thats irrelevant, you shouldnt include DNFs of Buttons, of which there are only two i must stress, when no taking into account Hamiltons bad luck (as convenient as that phrase sounds its 100 percent true) thats blighted him ALL year.

Remember guys, losing 10 points from say a 2nd place to fourth on average loses you more points then DNF'ing when you were only on for a 5th place finish anyway.
We can argue who is better all year long, Lewis fans will say Lewis is better; Jenson fans will say Jenson is better, in reality they'll be near enough equal come the end of the season.

Both drivers have their strengths and weaknesses; both are capable of winning races and championships as proven, why do we constantly have to argue who is better? Can't we just appreciate that we have two top drivers at McLaren, there's no shame in Hamilton being beaten by Button or Button being beaten by Hamilton, two drivers of contrasting styles make the racing interesting!

Originally I voted for Lewis to beat Jenson but seeing Jenson become more confident over the season has made my opinion swing towards the man from Frome!

See our F1 related articles too!