FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By Irv the Swerve
Could the FIA be blamed if a death happened in the sport. Last time no TC and deaths happened in F1.
By 7UpJordan
Could the FIA be blamed if a death happened in the sport. Last time no TC and deaths happened in F1.

I'm sure teams are aware of what happened when they took TC away and Imola 94 happened, but of course times have changed and cars have been made safer since those days, so hopefully lightning won't strike twice.
By deMuRe
I don't think you can blame a banning of TC for the death of anyone... This is a good idea, we don't want gadgets taking away from driver skill...
By Freddie
No but the one of the points of motorsport is also to develop stuff that can be used in street cars and if you prohibit safety gadgets then this development will stop

But of course I would also like to see the drivers have more importance than the gadgets
By bud
now we will see real drivers
By Red Five
No but the one of the points of motorsport is also to develop stuff that can be used in street cars and if you prohibit safety gadgets then this development will stop

But of course I would also like to see the drivers have more importance than the gadgets

I agree with your main point, but Traction Control is already widely used in normal road cars, so there's no real need to develop it further so I'm definitely glad it's going, there's a few driver's on the grid that will have to drastically change their driving style from next year!
By welshie

I agree with your main point, but Traction Control is already widely used in normal road cars, so there's no real need to develop it further so I'm definitely glad it's going, there's a few driver's on the grid that will have to drastically change their driving style from next year!

That is exactly what I was going to say. That fact is though that all of the drivers have come in to F1 though other track cars without traction control, so i cant see it taking them long to revert back to squeezing the throttle on rather than just nailing it. I seem to remember JB's Honda loosing traction control in a race and he was still on the pace, he also said it was the most fun he'd had in an F1 car, so it sounds good to me!! Is clutch and gear-levers in the pipeline :lol::wink:
By madbrad
The technology was an attraction for me, but I also liked the shift back to the driver. I believe the purpose of banning the aids in 94 was to reduce the cost of competing, which would help pull back markers further up the grid and track. Not sure if it worked, but an Arrows almost won once, and the Jordans started winning, and a Ligier and a Stewart won.

I liked JV's idea of reducing downforce and increasing mechanical grip. I think it would be exciting, if not a little dangerous.
By 7UpJordan
I liked JV's idea of reducing downforce and increasing mechanical grip. I think it would be exciting, if not a little dangerous.

Apparantly next year all the stupid little fins and wings and bits you see plastered all over the bodywork will be scrapped making the cars look a lot smoother, reducing downforce but at the same time re-widening the cars and bringing back the good old slicks. It's as if we're going back to 1997. :P
By certom
as soon as i read this news, i couldn't believe that those chicken heads could have approved stuff like this!
By darwin dali
No slicks in sight...
By deMuRe
No slicks in sight...

That's a real shame, now we are back to a control tyre we can go back to slicks and make the cars more stable...
By 7UpJordan
AH CRAP!!! It's true!! BLOODY MAX AND BERNIE!!! :evil:
By madbrad
Curse them! Damn you! Damn you all to hell!

See our F1 related articles too!