47%
Yes, banned for one race
26%
Yes, 10 place penalty at next race
5%
Yes, take away his super licence
21%
By madbrad
I feel such ongoing incompetence should be left to the team to deal with. There's your existing mechanism rihgt there. They took care of JV that way. DC hasn't been much better.
By Red Five
I believe the magnitude of the result of the contact should not affect the degree of punishment. Only the move should be considered.

The first thing I heard DC tell Louise was that he was going too fast and it all caught up to him too quickly for him to react. That imlpies that he never even intended to pass at all. I'm not sure if I have it right. Either way it was indeed stupid.

I'll agree with that, and the fact that DC said that he was going too fast and it happened too quickly for him to react means that he was driving dangerously and that it's not a racing incident, it was purely brought about by someone's inability to control their car.

Personally I would ban him for one race (as I have previously stated), I feel that that would be fair, he has admitted being at fault and he has apologised to Wurz but that doesn't mean he should escape punishment.

The fact is according to the poll nearly 50% of the people who voted say it was a racing incident. And surely everyone is entitled to their own opinion?!

Just because the majority think something, doesn't make it right! Yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion - including DD - and that's what forums are for, sharing our opinions.
By 7UpJordan
There have probably been even less careful and wreckless drivers trying out ridiculous moves before Coulthard's time ie. early 80's De Crasheris.
By bud
they are not going to ban a driver for trying a passing move, heck no one will ever try and pass again! the FIA is having enough trouble with lack of passing already ;)
By darwin dali
Definitions for the noun 'passing':
noun: success in satisfying a test or requirement (Example: "His future depended on his passing that test")
noun: going by something that is moving in order to get in front of it (Example: "She drove but well but her reckless passing of every car on the road frightened me")
noun: the end of something (Example: "The passing of winter")
noun: the motion of one object relative to another (Example: "Stellar passings can perturb the orbits of comets")
noun: euphemistic expressions for death (Example: "Thousands mourned his passing")
noun: a bodily process of passing from one place or stage to another (Example: "The passing of flatus")
noun: (American football) a play that involves one player throwing the ball to a teammate (Example: "The coach sent in a passing play on third and long")

Nowhere does it say: to step on it and nail the other car as DC seems to have wanted to. Maybe DC confused passing in F1 with the euphanism for dying? I sure hope it'll mean the passing of his career eventually...
By madbrad
There have probably been even less careful and wreckless drivers trying out ridiculous moves before Coulthard's time ie. early 80's De Crasheris.

And Irv the swerve. Also IIRC Patrese had a rep for that early on in his time, not later when he was in a Williams, then a Benetton, although once he took someone out and when the guycame to his garage to tear a strip off him he was sitting there crying and told the guy how sorry he was.
By Red Five
they are not going to ban a driver for trying a passing move, heck no one will ever try and pass again! the FIA is having enough trouble with lack of passing already ;)

But he admitted that he wasn't trying to pass, he was 'just' driving too fast for the bit of track he was on, and lost it! JPM got penalised for a lot less in his time (in fact JPM was once given a drive-through for MS hitting him at Indy a few years back).
By bud

But he admitted that he wasn't trying to pass, he was 'just' driving too fast for the bit of track he was on, and lost it! JPM got penalised for a lot less in his time (in fact JPM was once given a drive-through for MS hitting him at Indy a few years back).

so youre saying he missed his braking point? driver error ! there you go, whether his intent was to pass which i think it was deep down or whether he just duck up his braking zone he still shouldnt be penalized for it. did JV get penalised when he had a crash in melbourne nearly a decade ago when a marshal lost his life due to driver error? a guy died afterall
By 7UpJordan

And Irv the swerve. Also IIRC Patrese had a rep for that early on in his time, not later when he was in a Williams, then a Benetton, although once he took someone out and when the guycame to his garage to tear a strip off him he was sitting there crying and told the guy how sorry he was.

Patrese also got blamed for the crash at Monza 78 which killed Ronnie Peterson, and even after he got cleared and video evidence suggested that it was actually James Hunt who started the crash, James Hunt still had proper goes at Patrese for a couple of years after the crash whenever Patrese made a mistake.
By Red Five
One minute you're saying

doesn't matter if the guy lost his head or not

Then you say

a guy died after all

So do the consequences of a dangerous driver matter or not? The point I am making is that other drivers have been penalised for a lot less, so DC should be penalised for reckless driving! Yuji Ide lost his licence for an incident that was more 'nothing' than this!

Anyway, it's obvious that we don't agree on this, and we'll just keep going around in circles unless we shut up and look forward to the race this weekend!
By Marco
Does anyone know if the stewards looked into it?
By bud
One minute you're saying

doesn't matter if the guy lost his head or not

Then you say

a guy died after all

So do the consequences of a dangerous driver matter or not? The point I am making is that other drivers have been penalised for a lot less, so DC should be penalised for reckless driving! Yuji Ide lost his licence for an incident that was more 'nothing' than this!

Anyway, it's obvious that we don't agree on this, and we'll just keep going around in circles unless we shut up and look forward to the race this weekend!

I said a guy died afterall because all you pommy wimps are going on and on about how Wurz nearly died. I brought up that event as evidence to back me up, no one called for any bans or so forth when a marshal died yet when a f1 driver nearly dies everyone is crying penalise penalise dangerous driving why does the weather suck in my country.

where do you get off comparing Ide to DC thats just plain stupid how many GPS has DC had compared to Ide? he lost his licence because he didnt deserve it in the first place wasnt due to one stupid move!

and again DC did try and overtake his latest inteview he clearly states he wouldnt have tried such a manouvre if he knew the outcome. which goes to show in any manouvre you dont know the outcome. you either get called a hero or zero depends if you pull it off.
By Red Five

I said a guy died afterall because all you pommy wimps are going on and on about how Wurz nearly died. I brought up that event as evidence to back me up, no one called for any bans or so forth when a marshal died yet when a f1 driver nearly dies everyone is crying penalise penalise dangerous driving why does the weather suck in my country.

where do you get off comparing Ide to DC thats just plain stupid how many GPS has DC had compared to Ide? he lost his licence because he didnt deserve it in the first place wasnt due to one stupid move!

and again DC did try and overtake his latest inteview he clearly states he wouldnt have tried such a manouvre if he knew the outcome. which goes to show in any manouvre you dont know the outcome. you either get called a hero or zero depends if you pull it off.

All of us Pommie wimps is it? You're the one that brought up death or injury, up until that point the only thing that had been mentioned was how reckless the move was. While we're on the subject of throwing around derogatory comments based upon people's origin you as an Australian (a country born from the criminals of others) perhaps you shouldn't go there.

DC is a hell of a lot more experienced than Ide, therefore he should have the knowledge that a move like that (yes I was wrong that he hadn't gone for an overtake, he has since said that he definitely was) can only result in the two cars coming together, that for me is the main reason it was a much worse incident than anything Ide ever did in F1.

Yes I agree that Ide should never have got a drive in F1, but that was down to the FIA not doing their job properly (as per usual), and they should have admitted so instead of blaming his driving.
By madbrad
Had DC not admitted anything, Maybe we'd be apportioning some resposibility to Alex. The replay doesn't exactly show him doing nothing, minding his own business. I'm not saying he does deserve any blame, just that the replay doesn't necessarily prove to a layman that it wa 100% DC's actions that caused contact.
By darwin dali
splitting hairs here, mad? In a racing incident, conventionally the blame for it goes close to 50:50 to both drivers - not 10:90 or so, which you may imply here.

See our F1 related articles too!