47%
Yes, banned for one race
26%
Yes, 10 place penalty at next race
5%
Yes, take away his super licence
21%
By welshie
Actually the impression I got was that he said it was a racing incident that DC had apologised for, not that it was a racing incident BECAUSE DC apologised. :roll:
By madbrad
It can be someone's fault and still be a racing incident.
By welshie
My point exactly.
By darwin dali
So, according to that logic, it can be someone driving dangerously and it still can be a racing incident? DC was driving dangerously, taking a chance without the slightest hope of success at (almost) the cost of AW's life.
Just imagine FM/Ferrari in cubehead's situation doing a DC on FA/McLaren. You'd be crying for lynching the Brazilian and banning Ferrari from racing for the entire season! What a bunch of frigging hypocrites!
By welshie
Actually I'd be saying exactly the same thing. The fact is according to the poll nearly 50% of the people who voted say it was a racing incident. And surely everyone is entitled to their own opinion?! Maybe it's just me that thinks that though
By madbrad
DD I don't mean that. I meant that sometimes when the stewards find an offing just a racing incident, they might, even so, also say who made the stupid move. I believe all racing incidents are the result of a stupid move, and this one is no different. When the magnitude of stupidity for said move is at a sufficient level, after considering his intentions afterward, and considering all the circumstances and his driving behaviour in the last lap or so, and considering the other driver's intention, they then decide this is not a racing incident and apportion some pennance to the driver at fault.
No one is saying that DC reduced the severity of the incident in the stewards eyes by taking responsibility apologizing. The apology and the decision are separate.

I cannot say whether DC's move, although very dumb, was bad enough to punish him. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. I don't have the expertise, 5 camera angles, or driver briefings. If the stewards said it's a racing incident, I trust them because they are in the best position to percieve it correctly, politics notwithstanding.

I believe the magnitude of the result of the contact should not affect the degree of punishment. Only the move should be considered. No one could have predicted the car would launch over the other, and said vertical storage system doen't increase or decrease how stupid the move was.

The first thing I heard DC tell Louise was that he was going too fast and it all caught up to him too quickly for him to react. That imlpies that he never even intended to pass at all. I'm not sure if I have it right. Either way it was indeed stupid.
By darwin dali
that he was going too fast and it all caught up to him too quickly for him to react.

If that's true, maybe he IS too old and SHOULD retire? :twisted::P
By deMuRe
It's a fine line isn't it?

You don't want to start punishing drivers for having a punt, then the spectacle would be even more sh!t, but I can understand with F1 being so expensive these days there is a lot of pressure from sponsors to keep the cars on the black stuff...
By darwin dali
Can you even imagine the fallout of a worldwide TV audience watching in horror AW's helmet rolling on the track with his head in it? Sponsors? Manufacturers?
By deMuRe
Can you even imagine the fallout of a worldwide TV audience watching in horror AW's helmet rolling on the track with his head in it? Sponsors? Manufacturers?

As sad as it may seem, I think something like that would boost TV ratings not reduce it...
By darwin dali
That might well be, on the short run. But on the long run, calls for drastic changes in F1 or even race bans would be likely as well.
By madbrad
Can you imagine the sponsor's horror as it's logo on Alex's helmet is obscured by tire marks?
By bud
theres a disclaimer when you buy tickets to a motorsporting event that reads motorsport is dangerous bla bla bla basically by entering you are knowingly putting yourself in danger of being hurt or killed same goes for drivers! what DC did was not worth a life ban doesnt matter if the guy lost his head or not. its racing deal with it girlies
By darwin dali
I can appreciate your position bud if we're talking about people driving responsibly and not suffering from brain farts like DC has been throughout his career.
This was reckless - do you condone such on-track behavior? What about, e.g., your clamoring about MS swerving at the starts of GPs until it got banned? These days there are certain 'rules of conduct' on track, like it or not. And driving like a chicken without a head and endangering other drivers that way is certainly not the right etiquette...
By bud
oh please coming from a self proclaimed shumi fan whos reckless at all cost driving is hailed by you!
hypocrite

Sure his move was a long shotted one but i mean ffs if youre gonna ban a guy from trying to pull a move in a new season with new rules new braking zones new aero effects all that make passing different to previous years then i suggest you dont watch road racing and try Rallying where there is no actual racing

you know the funny thing is if they didnt touch wheels which made DC airborne you guys wouldnt even be talking about it.

See our F1 related articles too!