FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.

What percent of the race is quali?

7%
7%
7%
14%
0 (not part of it at all - the race is the race, quali is the quali)
14%
Monaco 75%, the rest it's <30%
50%
By darwin dali
Fernando, Ferrari seemed to have a bigger gap in the race. Is that a worry?
FA: Well, yes it is. We are here to win the world championship and we know that the race is the most important part of the weekend. Qualifying is good, but it is just only maybe 40 per cent of the race[...]

Really? That much? What do you think?
By certom
well, you see...today we have no overtakes, so every circuit is quite a little monaco, so i think that quali is a 30 %...
By darwin dali
You are forgetting that the race is about 300km and that there are many dnf's possible, which have a PROFOUND impact on your race result. If you DNF in Q, you can still start the race and in rare cases even win the whole thing. So, Q doesn't really have that much of an impact on the entire race weekend.
By bud
no who cares about starting from the front of the pack compared to last on the grid, i sure as hell dont mind either way

SARCASM
If there was passing in F1 then Qualifying wouldnt be as importnant but there is none so guess it makes Q important ;)
By madbrad
No passing? I expect that from a Nascar idiot that never watched an F1 race. Not from anyone in here.
By bud
maybe youre too young to remember when F1 cars actually raced each other on the track and not in the pit stops?

but please enlighten why F1 has no problems with passing? its been a topic of convo for a few years now .,... even so much so they did the CDW twin rear wing concept.
By madbrad
Yes there was more slicing and dicing on track in the distant past. All I meant was since this era in which peole who do not know F1 say there is never any passing, there has indeed been passing, in the literal sense. You do see cars passing other cars, even for the lead, not just a faster car who is behind passing slow cars coming up through the field. Sometimes it's even exciting. The scraps are gone forever, and that's a shame. Today's passing is done with calculation and precision. I think Prost pioneered that. G Villeneuve and Rene Arnoux were artists. Today they are technicians.

See our F1 related articles too!