FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
...Can someone explain what a 'cookie cutter track' is? :scratchchin:

That's how Americans call a biscuit mould. It implies that the circuits all are unimaginative replicas of each other.
...Can someone explain what a 'cookie cutter track' is? :scratchchin:

That's how Americans call a biscuit mould. It implies that the circuits all are unimaginative replicas of each other.

:rofl: Implies? It down right rubs your nose in it!
What did I say. It'll probably be another purpose built Tilke track.

When was the last time F1 went a track that wasn't purpose built for F1 by Tilke. I just hope it's not going to be another crap track that he's designed to strict FIA regulations. Say Valencia or Bahrain. New India circuit looks rubbish as well.

Actually when was the last time F1 went to an existing track. Meaning a track that was already there, and hadn't been built from scratch at request of Bernie, or been recently rebuilt in the eyes of Tilke. The most recent time that happened that I can find is Donington Park in 1993.

I couldn't agree anymore. I found Valencia and Bahrain let downs because especially in valencia there was hardly any overtaking points, the track has no character with the swing bridge seeming to be the only interesting point around the course.
Such a shame they dont use any of the already existing tracks. A GP at Road America would be awesome.

I think the current trend is more about the venue than the actual track. You could probably pick a handful of good base circuits for F1 stateside but F1 is as much about image and putting the beautiful people on display stag front as it is about the leading edge of technology in racing.
Such a shame they dont use any of the already existing tracks. A GP at Road America would be awesome.

I think the current trend is more about the venue than the actual track. You could probably pick a handful of good base circuits for F1 stateside but F1 is as much about image and putting the beautiful people on display stag front as it is about the leading edge of technology in racing.

Yes your right and as long as Bernie's in power thats the way its going to be :( . I think the track should be the number one priority and then everything else built around it. If they have to have tents in the paddock, so be it.

Ah well, there's always my dreams :cloud9: .
It is to be a Tilke circuit. To make matters worse (as if anything in F1 could be worse than yet another Hermann Tilke circuit), there's already rumours it won't be ready for the 2012 season.

I don't want to be played with emotionally. I want a US GP but I'm not sold on this Austin circuit and certainly not sold on it being ready for 2012. Things that involve major money and contracts stateside take an eternity to be built. Nine years after the World Trace Center attacks there is basically a big hole in the ground, while they are able to plant height record setting building Asia-Pac in a few years.

Unless local and state agencies are FULLY behind the circuit and the money is there and flowing (unlikely in this economy) I just don't see this happening.
Too bumpy and nowhere near the facilities needed. Not enough hotel rooms, restaurants, grandstands etc. Sebring is one of my favorite tracks to drive, but that's in a GT car...an F1 car requires more run off, etc etc and Sebring just doesn't have it. F1 cars jockeying for position on turn 17 would be a thing to behold though.

See our F1 related articles too!