Putting the 'green' Earth on a stinking F1 car is like...

Formula One related discussion.
User avatar
darwin dali
Forum Queen
Posts: 26936
Joined: 18 Mar 06, 02:56

Putting the 'green' Earth on a stinking F1 car is like...

Post by darwin dali »

...casting DC for a sequel of Coneheads.

...giving Bush the peace Nobelprize.

...handing Michael Jackson a Playboy magazine.


...?

(fill in the blanks)
Last edited by darwin dali on 27 Feb 07, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
Image Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. Image
McLaren786
Posts: 38
Joined: 03 Jan 07, 23:11

Post by McLaren786 »

Its true, i don't see the point, i think they should atleast waited unitl F1 becomes eco friendly but right now it's simply pathetic. Honda doesn't care about the environment.
Image
R00DIT
Posts: 284
Joined: 28 Sep 05, 21:55

Post by R00DIT »

McLaren786 wrote:Its true, i don't see the point, i think they should atleast waited unitl F1 becomes eco friendly but right now it's simply pathetic. Honda doesn't care about the environment.


oh but they do, cant you see a picture of earth plastered all over their car?

i think theyve scored a massive own goal with this one, pr it is not! :roll:
User avatar
Stephen
Site Admin
Posts: 2195
Joined: 24 Sep 05, 12:47
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Team: McLaren

Post by Stephen »

R00DIT wrote:
McLaren786 wrote:Its true, i don't see the point, i think they should atleast waited unitl F1 becomes eco friendly but right now it's simply pathetic. Honda doesn't care about the environment.


oh but they do, cant you see a picture of earth plastered all over their car?

i think theyve scored a massive own goal with this one, pr it is not! :roll:


Yup, this only brings forward the debate for F1 to turn green. Truth be known though, it's not so much the cars that are the problem, it's the teams/journalists/fans travelling to and from the circuits. Perhaps if the FIA let teams pursue green technology without restriction, the sooner we can all expect to live in a cleaner/greener world.

Wishful thinking I know, in truth, motorsport will probably be banned in the UK and other developed countries, much the same way as cigarette advertising! :roll:
sonic
Posts: 48
Joined: 09 Sep 06, 18:37

Post by sonic »

Honda are bringing their teams to each race on a bicycle and the cars are coming in kit form with each team member bringing a piece across the crossbar. For the flyaway races they are using zeppelins.

Seriously,
I think it will just give the "Green Campaigners" something to use against not only Honda but F1 as a whole.
User avatar
7UpJordan
Posts: 7368
Joined: 18 Jan 07, 19:49
Location: Yorkshire, UK

Post by 7UpJordan »

It's like re-signing Ade Akinbiyi for well over £2million.
Image
"And Mansell was lucky not to be taken off by that RIDICULOUS bit of driving by Alliot!!" - James Hunt
"AAAAAND into the pitlane..... OHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!" - Murray Walker
User avatar
Irv the Swerve
Posts: 1504
Joined: 02 Sep 06, 19:41
Favourite Driver: Michael Schumacher
Favourite Team: Ferrari
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Irv the Swerve »

7UpJordan wrote:It's like re-signing Ade Akinbiyi for well over £2million.
:lol:

What a s*** player!! :D
User avatar
7UpJordan
Posts: 7368
Joined: 18 Jan 07, 19:49
Location: Yorkshire, UK

Post by 7UpJordan »

Denílson wrote:
7UpJordan wrote:It's like re-signing Ade Akinbiyi for well over £2million.
:lol:

What a s*** player!! :D

Every time you say him charging through on goal, he always shot over the crossbar, and some of the goals he scored were right flukes, usually from a dodgy first touch, falling over or coming off his dreads. :P
Image
"And Mansell was lucky not to be taken off by that RIDICULOUS bit of driving by Alliot!!" - James Hunt
"AAAAAND into the pitlane..... OHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!" - Murray Walker
User avatar
Irv the Swerve
Posts: 1504
Joined: 02 Sep 06, 19:41
Favourite Driver: Michael Schumacher
Favourite Team: Ferrari
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Irv the Swerve »

User avatar
darwin dali
Forum Queen
Posts: 26936
Joined: 18 Mar 06, 02:56

Post by darwin dali »

Never heard of this guy, but watching the clip I didn't miss much.

But back on topic - nothing to do with 'green' or anything.

Hey, Al Gore's film won two Oscars. That's a glimmer of hope...
Image Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. Image
User avatar
darwin dali
Forum Queen
Posts: 26936
Joined: 18 Mar 06, 02:56

Post by darwin dali »

Leading environmental group Friends of the Earth has slammed Honda's attempt to champion environmental issues by launching the 'Earth Car'.

Spokeswoman Emily Armistead referred to the "irony" of a major car manufacturer urging ordinary people to contribute to solutions by giving up ironing or cutting "unnecessary flights".

Indeed, one F1 journalist this week pointed out that Jenson Button flew from Bahrain to London for the Earth Car's launch, and then back to Bahrain to test, but his only major contribution to the event was to explain to reporters that he no longer leaves his TV in 'stand by'.

It is understood that Greenpeace has also declined to back Honda's environmental approach.

Armistead told the Guardian : "There is some irony in the fact that Honda are attempting to promote the environment and calling on others to address environmental issues when they are contributing to climate change by participating in what is probably the most polluting sport on the planet."
Image Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. Image
User avatar
7UpJordan
Posts: 7368
Joined: 18 Jan 07, 19:49
Location: Yorkshire, UK

Post by 7UpJordan »

darwin_dali wrote:Leading environmental group Friends of the Earth has slammed Honda's attempt to champion environmental issues by launching the 'Earth Car'.

Spokeswoman Emily Armistead referred to the "irony" of a major car manufacturer urging ordinary people to contribute to solutions by giving up ironing or cutting "unnecessary flights".

Indeed, one F1 journalist this week pointed out that Jenson Button flew from Bahrain to London for the Earth Car's launch, and then back to Bahrain to test, but his only major contribution to the event was to explain to reporters that he no longer leaves his TV in 'stand by'.

It is understood that Greenpeace has also declined to back Honda's environmental approach.

Armistead told the Guardian : "There is some irony in the fact that Honda are attempting to promote the environment and calling on others to address environmental issues when they are contributing to climate change by participating in what is probably the most polluting sport on the planet."

Well first of all, the Plane was there for Jenson to catch, it's not as if he was the only one on the flight. Secondly, aren't Honda making cars that are emmitting less and less greenhouse gasses than before and there's one that supposedly only emmits Hydrogen or something? And how do people not know that their F1 car will follow suit?
Image
"And Mansell was lucky not to be taken off by that RIDICULOUS bit of driving by Alliot!!" - James Hunt
"AAAAAND into the pitlane..... OHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!" - Murray Walker
User avatar
darwin dali
Forum Queen
Posts: 26936
Joined: 18 Mar 06, 02:56

Post by darwin dali »

First, aren't you guys in Europe all into 'offsetting' your carbon footprint? JB's turning off the TV won't 'pay' for those two flights in a loooooong time!

Secondly, from my recollection it's been Toyota that came out first with the Prius and has been wildly successful with it. Honda followed suit, sure, but pioneer?

I can't wait to see a car that emmits hydrogen, lol! That would be cool, a bit explosive, but cool...
Image Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. Image
User avatar
madbrad
Posts: 3194
Joined: 04 Mar 07, 00:34
Location: Pickering ON Canada

Re:

Post by madbrad »

darwin_dali wrote:Putting the 'green' Earth on a stinking F1 car is like...


locking the keys in your car then calling the auto club to get you out, and getting soaked waiting because it was raining and the top was down.

sprinkling oat bran on your chilli cheesedog.
sent from my supercray using assembler.
_______________________________



Image
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
User avatar
Selcouth_Feline
Posts: 1809
Joined: 26 Sep 05, 18:59
Location: Deepest, darkest Essex

Post by Selcouth_Feline »

darwin_dali wrote:First, aren't you guys in Europe all into 'offsetting' your carbon footprint? JB's turning off the TV won't 'pay' for those two flights in a loooooong time!



Yup....and we're led by the media who feed us incorrect facts all the time. Personally, I loved the piece that Boris Johnson, an MP over here, wrote for a daily newspaper over here a few months back...I wish he'd become our prime minister ;)

There are 1.3 billion cows on this planet, and every year each cow produces about 90kg of methane, and as greenhouse gases go, methane is about 24 times worse than CO2 in sealing the heat in the air. According to a recent report by the UN's Food and Agriculture Organisation, agriculture produces 18 per cent of the world's greenhouse gases, as measured in CO2 equivalent — and that, my friends, is more than is produced by the entire human transport industry.

Think of it: for every cow you killed, you would be ridding the world of 90kg of methane a year — easily enough, surely, to justify an Easyjet flight.
:lol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main ... w_11012007