FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By R00DIT
ive just been reading an article on the f1 news section about redbull. i dont know if its been mentioned before, but i do sometimes feel that newey who built such an awesome 1998 mclaren (mp4/14?) has become overrated as a result.
By McLaren786
I don't think he is overrated, he is a genius when it comes to designing cars but every dog has its day and you can't always be the best but his cars have won alot of races and championship.
By Stephen
It has more to do with the team around him, the environment and length of leash he has at Red Bull.

He's perhaps the finest designer we have in F1 at the moment, but that's no good if he has only monkeys to work with. I feel all of this conjecture is a bit premature, let's see what the season holds next month. :)
By 7UpJordan
I wouldn't say so, he was behind the dominating Williams cars, the resurgent McLaren cars in the late 90's and also for March's great season in 1988.
By Irv the Swerve
Who's idea was it with the third brake pedal that got banned in Brazil 98?
By Stephen
Who's idea was it with the third brake pedal that got banned in Brazil 98?

Not sure, but a very clever idea. By memory a photographer, I think it was F1 Racings Darren Heath, was curious to see the McLaren's brakes glowing red in corners, and put his camera down inside the footwell of DC's retired car to find a third brake pedal there! 8) I believe Williams and Jordan were running, or testing similar systems at the time.

I believe it worked by slowing one rear wheel in slow corners, providing a massive speed advantage. At the time Walkinshaw declared that the system provided all wheel steering! :roll:

Rumours emerged in 2002 to suggest that Ferrari could be testing/running a similar system, sadly no proof of that one i'm afraid.

By Marco
I bet that system took a bit of getting used to, and it makes me wonder whether Mika's famous mistake at Monza had anything to do with it.
By Alien_SAP_Fiend
I hope for Webber's sake that these problems are just the result of the late choice of engine and not the chassis.

DC is a waste of a race seat, but Webber really needs a car that doesn't break down on him all the time.
By sonic
DC will go well in 2007. He has a Newey car which he will be familiar with. Almost all of his cars throughout his F1 career have been Newey designed. I expect to see DC have the best season of his F1 career to date. He will blow Webber away. The team has been built around DC he has the best engine, should have one of the best chassis and knows the team. He will fly.

Newey over rated?

Right ok we'll see.

Think what you like of Damon Hill, I'm not his greatest fan, but for him to refer to Newey as "the greatest racing car designer ever to walk he earth" is no mean feat. Damon drove some excellent Newey designed cars in his time and a few animals from other designers. He knew what he was saying.

If you know better than Frank Williams and Ron Dennis, who both paid a considerable fortune for Newey's talents, why not apply for a job. I hear there could be a vacancy for cheif mechanic at Ferrari quite soon, Nigel Stepney seems well Peed off.
By 7UpJordan
I hope for Webber's sake that these problems are just the result of the late choice of engine and not the chassis.

DC is a waste of a race seat, but Webber really needs a car that doesn't break down on him all the time.

In my view Webber needs to shut up, he's written off Williams' chances and slagged the team off at every opportunity and is now slagging off Red Bull.
By deMuRe
I've got a lot of respect for Adrian Newey, it was Newey vs Schuey for so many years... However, I fear that gone are the days where designing an F1 car is a black art that can be handled by one man and that now adays the task is more then one man can handle.

Personally I would love to see Red Bull start off conservative, with big updates each race. For Newey to prove that one man can still make all the difference means there is a little bit of Romance still left in F1 and that would bring a big smile to my face...
By Forza
For Newey to prove that one man can still make all the difference means there is a little bit of Romance still left in F1 and that would bring a big smile to my face...

That would be nice. But so unlikely to happen.
By bud
I've got a lot of respect for Adrian Newey, it was Newey vs Schuey for so many years...

Didnt know Schuey designed cars :shock:
By Stephen
I think he means Schumacher's driving skill vs Newey's technical ability.
By darwin dali
For Newey to prove that one man can still make all the difference means there is a little bit of Romance still left in F1 and that would bring a big smile to my face...

You're such a romantic :roll::twisted:8)

See our F1 related articles too!