FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By sonic
It appalls me that champagne is allowed on the podium or in F1 at all. Similarly, alcohol sponsorship is totally irresponsible, far mor so than tobacco. Any kind of motor racing or other "driving" sport should take steps to distance itself from alcohol.

Alcohol and driving are a recipe for disaster and F1 needs to wake up and realise that. To use motor racing to "glamourise" alcohol defies beleif. I am surprised that drinks manufacturers see F1 as a suitable platform for advertising as well.

Ron Dennis is behaving very responsibly in publicly stating his drivers are not to drink. If they choose to do so out of the public eye and in a responsible manner that is unimportant. Ron Dennis has publicly declared that drivers are not to drink and that is commendable. It is a pity that he didn't think of it before putting his pen to the Johnny Walker contract. I suspect that may come back to haunt him in the future.
By darwin dali
It just shows his hypocrite alter ego... :roll:
By bud
Have either of you seen the JW advertisements with McLaren?
Their all about drinking responsibliy, thats the message they are trying to get out.

Im appalled at Ferrari having Marlboro brandished on their cars still. Double standards for the evil empire team!
By madbrad
Jackie Stewart had rules of some sort for his guys. He even sent them to some training on how to act for the public and for the press, and how to word their answers. Don't you wish Mika Hakkinen was sent there?

Anyway Magnussen was fired from Stewart GP partly because he was a party animal given to spirits.

I heard at the time that Damon Hill's contract with Williams forbade him from going near a motorcycle. A true athelete like Senna would never have needed any rules to make him behave off track, if you don't count punching people.
By Jens
I've got no opinion either way about this, but when someone said McLaren's corporate image was improved by their "sexy" cars, I had to laugh.

Anyway, back to the drinking. Whilst it might seem draconian, looking at Hamilton and Alonso it seems unlikely that they would be drinking that much anyway, they seem to be the perfect matches for the JW/McLaren Drink Responsibly campaign.

See our F1 related articles too!