FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
OK there must be a reason for windscreens of F1 cars, there not needed and probably really harm the aerodynamics. Does anybody know the answer to this one
By darwin dali
I'm sure engineers put the windscreen there to help guide the airflow around the driver and the midsection of the car and to avoid turbulence caused by the driver/cockpit.
By Irv the Swerve
Look what I found about this subject:

''Button appeared on the 30 July episode of Top Gear (recorded 26 July) where presenter Jeremy Clarkson mocked his F1 car for having a windscreen which was bad for aerodynamics. The following Sunday, Button won his first Grand Prix though it is not known if the windscreen was removed.''
By manmonkee
It's definetly not an aero device otherwise you'd see different teams tweaking them and coming up with different designs, all the windscreens look the same almost as if there a common device that all the teams MUST use. I wonder if it's some weird tradition thing??, it's not a car unless it's got a windscreen.
Lets face it, apart from the wheels a modern F1 car has more in common with aircraft than road cars.
By Marco
Surely turbulence is the key? Without such mirrors the driver's helmet would receive a buffetting.
By certom
i'm not sure, but i remember that i had read an article when they said that the windscreen blocked the air on the neck of the driver
By bud
i'm not sure, but i remember that i had read an article when they said that the windscreen blocked the air on the neck of the driver

yes its only a minor aero flaw compared to the cockpit/drivers helmet. it is there to ease the force on the drivers head and neck!

See our F1 related articles too!