Clearly surplus to requirement

Formula One related discussion.
manmonkee

Clearly surplus to requirement

Post by manmonkee »

OK there must be a reason for windscreens of F1 cars, there not needed and probably really harm the aerodynamics. Does anybody know the answer to this one
darwin dali
Forum Queen

Post by darwin dali »

I'm sure engineers put the windscreen there to help guide the airflow around the driver and the midsection of the car and to avoid turbulence caused by the driver/cockpit.
Image Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. Image
Irv the Swerve
Favourite Driver: Michael Schumacher
Favourite Team: Ferrari

Post by Irv the Swerve »

Look what I found about this subject:

''Button appeared on the 30 July episode of Top Gear (recorded 26 July) where presenter Jeremy Clarkson mocked his F1 car for having a windscreen which was bad for aerodynamics. The following Sunday, Button won his first Grand Prix though it is not known if the windscreen was removed.''
manmonkee

Post by manmonkee »

It's definetly not an aero device otherwise you'd see different teams tweaking them and coming up with different designs, all the windscreens look the same almost as if there a common device that all the teams MUST use. I wonder if it's some weird tradition thing??, it's not a car unless it's got a windscreen.
Lets face it, apart from the wheels a modern F1 car has more in common with aircraft than road cars.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Surely turbulence is the key? Without such mirrors the driver's helmet would receive a buffetting.
certom

Post by certom »

i'm not sure, but i remember that i had read an article when they said that the windscreen blocked the air on the neck of the driver

ORGOGLIO FERRARI

VOLVO DRIVER 8)
bud
Shrub
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna, Lewis Hamilton
Favourite Team: McLaren

Post by bud »

certom wrote:i'm not sure, but i remember that i had read an article when they said that the windscreen blocked the air on the neck of the driver

yes its only a minor aero flaw compared to the cockpit/drivers helmet. it is there to ease the force on the drivers head and neck!