FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
The FIA is taking it too far.

The FIA aren't necessarily taking it any further. It's speculation at the moment. I'm not entirely sure it will go to the WMSC, but Lewis may receive a warning about repeating that in the future.
i saw the video of that interview, there was definitely something fishy about it. He seemed to desperately want to apologise but didn't want to overdo it because the official line was that it was all Dave Ryan's fault.

I think something was a bit odd about LH in the interview as well here is my suggestion of what might of happened

Ok this is how I think this whole fiasco might of happened Lewis goes past Trulil, Lewis asks if that was ok then Dave Ryan tells him to give the place back when he didn’t need to so now the race ends Hamilton 4th and Trulli 3rd. After the race Dave Ryan realises that he has effectively cost Hamilton and the team a podium and wants to make up for it so when they go up to the stewards he suggests/tells Lewis to “withhold” Information in the hope that Lewis will get his 3rd place back and his mistake rectified it works. Thursday Lewis is hauled to the stewards to find out the truth and is found to be dishonest gets disqualified, Dave Ryan then feels even worst for what has happened puts his hands up and takes one for the team hoping that if he takes the blame it will not be as bad for Lewis.

[EDIT]

This seems incredibly out of order. Feels like he's a scapegoat

:yes: He is a scapegoat without a doubt!
Ryan has been involved in motorsport since he was young lad in New Zealand and has worked for McLaren since 1974. He has no previous offences to his name. Moreover, his actions seem to have been spur of the moment and trying to preserve McLaren's fairly-won third place. Ryan should not have lied, yes, but we need to get a sense of perspective.

I'm not sure that the place was fairly won. If LH let JT past, then that's perhaps McLaren's mistake, and loses them a moral right to third place. Ryan not having been involved in similar situations before may mitigate things somewhat if it's true (did he have anything to do with Stepneygate?), but still lying to the stewards is serious enough to justify some sort of censure. If he had recent similar black marks to his name, then I'd expect him to be fired!
I don't disagree with you that Ryan should be punished in some way, either by the FIA, McLaren or both, which is something that looks to be happening.
I don't disagree with you that Ryan should be punished in some way, either by the FIA, McLaren or both, which is something that looks to be happening.

Mm hmm.

I'd still be interested in seeing what McLaren say to Lewis about the whole situation. There have to be some angry men up-top. I don't think Norbert Haug would be too impressed by the whole thing, either.
Yesterday, it was "Lewis didn't lie"
Today, it's "Lewis is a team player adn was ordered to lie" and throw Ryan under the bus to save Lewis. :rolleyes:
Even if you were told to lie, wouldn't anyone with an ounce of common sense say "Hey this isn't going to work. I just told a bunch of reporters that I was ordered to let him past" ???
I doesn't add up IMO.

BTW, how the hell can Hamilton say:
I am not a liar. I am not a dishonest person.

when he clearly lied his rump off. :thumbdown:
Lewis didn't actualy lie apparently

He was asked did you willing let trulli though.

and he said no.

the telemetry shows he didn't slow down and trulli said he drove along side him and passed him.

He's just not gone on to say "but the team did order me to do so"

to be fair you have to say if you were in a meeting with your boss and your boss said were going to do this to you before the meeting.

And then when on to say somthing that wasn't stricly true you wouldn't condratict him would you?

and he said no.

the telemetry shows he didn't slow down and trulli said he drove along side him and passed him.

to be fair you have to say if you were in a meeting with your boss and your boss said were going to do this to you before the meeting.

And then when on to say somthing that wasn't stricly true you wouldn't condratict him would you?

But the footage shows that he did slow down.

and he said no.

the telemetry says otherwise i've read.

Trulli was wrong to over take him, Lewis was wrong to hold back infomation but he did not lie.

The punishment is very harsh still imo

and he said no.

Trulli was wrong to over take him, Lewis was wrong to hold back infomation but he did not lie.

Are you saying that the footage is somehow incorrect?

Furthermore, they didn't use telemetry, but compared lap times to ascertain whether or not Lewis slowed. Which is a flawed method, especially when you consider that Trulli slowed down three times to yield the position. Given the circumstances, Trulli was not wrong to pass Lewis. Watching the footage, you'll see how suddenly Lewis slows down and pulls over. In the same way as you would if you lost drive.
I think the whole situation is utter bollocks anyway, daym FIA-race stewards etc etc etc!! Let the guys race without fear of being penalized for being a racer. :thumbdown:
The whole thing is a mess and we will never know what was said in the Stewards meeting because none of it is recorded which is something that needs to be sorted out instantly next time the stewards are involved i want to see minutes of the meeting posted on the F1 website!

and he said no.

Are you saying that the footage is somehow incorrect?

Furthermore, they didn't use telemetry, but compared lap times to ascertain whether or not Lewis slowed. Which is a flawed method, especially when you consider that Trulli slowed down three times to yield the position. Given the circumstances, Trulli was not wrong to pass Lewis. Watching the footage, you'll see how suddenly Lewis slows down and pulls over. In the same way as you would if you lost drive.

telemetry shows he didn't lift.

But according to McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh, Hamilton did not slow down and offered no encouragement for Trulli to overtake: "Lewis didn't stop, and the telemetry data which was shown to the stewards today showed that the lap on which he was overtaken was no different from the succeeding lap that was under the safety car. It was difficult conditions but there was no evidence from the data that Lewis did anything that induced Trulli to go past.

See our F1 related articles too!