FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Hamilton disqualified from Australian GP

Thursday, April 2nd 2009, 08:49 GMT

Lewis Hamilton has been disqualified from the Australian Grand Prix and Jarno Trulli's post-race penalty rescinded, giving the Toyota driver third place again.

The two drivers had been summoned to meet the stewards in Malaysia this morning after new evidence came to light regarding their incident behind the safety car, which saw Trulli regain third place from Hamilton under yellow having slid off the road.

Trulli had insisted that Hamilton had slowed dramatically and allowed him past, but the stewards originally opted to give the Italian a 25 second penalty for illegal overtaking, dropping him to 12th in the results and elevating Hamilton onto the podium.

That decision has now been reversed and Hamilton thrown out of the Melbourne results.

More details to follow

Hopefully there will be more information soon. I'd like to know if this ruling was made because stewards missed key information, or because Lewis presented incorrect information in order to keep the podium spot. That doesn't seem to have surfaced yet.
Deliberately misleading the stewards is the reasoning. Here's the (brief) BBC article.

Hamilton excluded from Aussie GP

Lewis Hamilton and McLaren have been stripped of their podium finish and all points at the Australian Grand Prix.

The sport's world governing body said they were excluded "for providing evidence deliberately misleading to the stewards at the hearing on March 29."

More to follow.
I called it, I knew he had no chance in this hearing. Here's what I said in a nother thread:
I will be very disappointed with Lewis if it turns out he lied to Charlie in order to gain a position, unfortunately, I think the fact that they are holding this meeting proves that he did lie and is going to be punished. If the stewards looked over all the data and radio transmissions and found that it supported what Hamilton said, the whole matter would have been dropped when Toyota pulled the plug. But as I see it, they looked over the data, decided Lewis lied and suggested to Toyota that they (Toyota) should drop the issue because the officials will be taking the matter into their own hands. He's screwed. just like every decision seemed to go against him last year.
We were watching this story develop overnight, quite unbelievable and originally thought to be a wind-up:

http://www.forumula1.com/2009/f1/f1-new ... ion-again/
http://www.forumula1.com/2009/f1/lead_a ... ralian-gp/

If you want to keep on top of all the latest Lewis Hamilton news from across the net, head over to our Global site: http://www.forumula1.com/global/search/hamilton
if i remember this correctly, i think LH told one story to one party, and a different story to another party (press, i assume) that re-opened the issue

according to SPEEDtv.com "It's understood that SPEEDtv.com's exclusive story on Sunday night first alerted the FIA to the possibility that Hamilton might not have been entirely truthful with his comments."
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... y-hearing/

so did he sort of shot his own foot by telling two stories which re-opened the issue?

any how, congratulations to trulli!

to lie in front of stewards is not a good way to start a season... :nono::nono:
Last edited by yamashek on 02 Apr 09, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
Wow crazy stuff, Lewis what were you thinking? racechik?? :hehe:

Dont go therte! leave me alone. Im in mourning!

Not giving you a hard time in any sense as I'm kinda confused aswell. I would like to know what this new evidence is and dang talk about leaving us fans hanging from a short one! :nono:

Not giving you a hard time in any sense as I'm kinda confused aswell.

You're always confused tex :P

I'm pissed off about this but not at the stewards but at Lewis for bullshitting! 5 points is better than none!

See our F1 related articles too!