FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By Marco
Well done to Honda and Kimi, great runs. Couldn't believe the Spyker incident, it just shows how much force goes through the back of that car.

Can someone tell me how that Torro Rosso span mid straight?
By Smokestoomuch
Luizzi overcooked it I'd guess

The forces invloved in getting a car round a corner at 120mph are so great and the weight of enginbe wants to keep going in a straight line, taking the back round.

Nice recovery from a stupid mistake though.
By certom
what means overcook?
By certom
thanks!
By Smokestoomuch
Actually what I mean by overcooked is too much of everything.

I looked like he was off-line in the corner. He came into fast, missed the apex, or at least missed turning across the apex, and so he had to try and get the car to turn much more than he would have otherwise and with too much speed.

The result of this is the car just had too much energy and while the front wheels can get a lot of grip when turned, the inertia of the back-end means it wants to keep going in a straight line, taking the back end round.

It's horribly easy to do the same thing on an icy road when the tyres don't have enough grip to overcome the vehicles inertia.

Additionally, when the rear of an F1 car starts to go sideways, even a little bit, the air flow of the rear wing is affected losing down force and making the back end lose grip even more.
By Irv the Swerve
Actually what I mean by overcooked is too much of everything.

I looked like he was off-line in the corner. He came into fast, missed the apex, or at least missed turning across the apex, and so he had to try and get the car to turn much more than he would have otherwise and with too much speed.

The result of this is the car just had too much energy and while the front wheels can get a lot of grip when turned, the inertia of the back-end means it wants to keep going in a straight line, taking the back end round.

It's horribly easy to do the same thing on an icy road when the tyres don't have enough grip to overcome the vehicles inertia.

Additionally, when the rear of an F1 car starts to go sideways, even a little bit, the air flow of the rear wing is affected losing down force and making the back end lose grip even more.
But mainly thats what i said
By Smokestoomuch
Put down the throttle to fast and spun.

Hardly.
By Smokestoomuch
Ok, you maybe right, that is if by "putting the throttle down to fast" you mean not braking enough and missing the apex.
By Irv the Swerve
well, the final part of the corner, putting the throttle down too fast while still coming out of the corner.
By R00DIT
I agree Spitz, it was well after the corner and nothing to do with braking. Too much of the old right foot, a rookies mistake. :)
By Smokestoomuch
If you watch it back that isn't the problem. Every other car crosses the apex and turns right so that their left-side wheels are at the very edge of the track.. The Torro Rosso comes across the corner on the wrong lineand the car is always in the wrong place.

The factors that cause the spin are not hitting the accelerator too early or too hard, but trying to force the car to turn with too much energy in it.

Forces always want to move in straight lines, and will always do so unless there is sufficient force exerted (in this case from the tyres) to overcome the it.

The Torro Rosso was going to fast. It had too much energy, and while the front tyres could manage to get enough grip make the front end change direction the weight of the rear kept going in a straight line, which, once the front starts to turn, makes the car spin.

It isn't putting his foot down to early.
By R00DIT
Right, that's us told Spitz! :) Never argue with a man who knows his physics, or taped the GP. Quick someone phone Bernie, I suspect a copyright infringement. :P

Thanks for setting that straight. :(

See our F1 related articles too!