FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By KyrosV
I thought It was illegal to have team rules in F1? Its a bit heart sinking for a spectator to see for the 3rd race in row Hiekki letting hammy through with ease. There were excuseses saying oh he made a mistake that let him past but I think thats just mclarens sneeky way of bending the rules. there was deffinate communication from ron dennis to Hiekki but prob in code so it isnt breaking the rules blah blah... but in all fairness its a bit sickening in any team to see that happen! I wanna see drivers race not cat about and let your team mates past! disgusting...
By scotty
It's a shame, no matter how blatant it is, but it happens all the time. There are strong arguments for both points of view, but they are quite long winded and i simply can't be bothered right now! :P
By McLaren Fan
I thought It was illegal to have team rules in F1? Its a bit heart sinking for a spectator to see for the 3rd race in row Hiekki letting hammy through with ease. There were excuseses saying oh he made a mistake that let him past but I think thats just mclarens sneeky way of bending the rules. there was deffinate communication from ron dennis to Hiekki but prob in code so it isnt breaking the rules blah blah... but in all fairness its a bit sickening in any team to see that happen! I wanna see drivers race not cat about and let your team mates past! disgusting...

Do you have any heard evidence that McLaren issued team orders to Kovalainen? This is being discussed on another thread anyway...
By KyrosV
not really but it was a cooincedence(sp) that the tv footage showed RD was communicating with heikki, then all of a sudden he let lewis pass.
By racechick

Are you by any chance a Ferrari supporter??
By McLaren Fan
not really but it was a cooincedence(sp) that the tv footage showed RD was communicating with heikki, then all of a sudden he let lewis pass.

Those buttons are pushed God knows how many times throughout a Grand Prix. Ron Dennis could have been talking to the Pope for all you know. Team orders are banned in Formula One. If McLaren had of told Kovalainen to let Hamilton by, Hamilton would have been disqualified by now and the team punished as well.
By texasmr2

Those buttons are pushed God knows how many times throughout a Grand Prix. Ron Dennis could have been talking to the Pope for all you know. Team orders are banned in Formula One. If McLaren had of told Kovalainen to let Hamilton by, Hamilton would have been disqualified by now and the team punished as well.

They could have been speaking in tongue or in code like the prison inmate's do to initiate a 'hit'? :D
By McLaren Fan

They could have been speaking in tongue or in code like the prison inmate's do to initiate a 'hit'? :D

Yeah, but we don't actually know with whom Dennis was speaking. Kyros was just guessing Dennis was speaking to Kovalainen because it showed Dennis hitting a button on the pitwall before Kovalainen slowed down.
By scotty

Wouldn't that be ironically hilarious... :D

There was obviously some form of 'gentleman's agreement' going on today, it would be pure delusion to think otherwise - but i don't think any team would be stupid enough to just tell them what to do over the radio, there would be a prior agreement in place anyway as Hamilton is in title contention - and like i said in the other post, everyone does that, you can bet that even Force India do if one driver is much faster.

However, that's unfortunate in itself because surely the faster driver would be able to get past, then the counter argument is that if he would get past anyway then the team in question might as well just do what's best for the team and save time, but then it sometimes feels like a slap in the face for us fans who actually want to see a race... the argument can wind on and on.
By KyrosV

Yeah, but we don't actually know with whom Dennis was speaking. Kyros was just guessing Dennis was speaking to Kovalainen because it showed Dennis hitting a button on the pitwall before Kovalainen slowed down.

if you looked closely he was pressing the HK button, but its all history now....

wtf no! silly hoe! look >>>> Renault

and look V V Renault fan
By McLaren Fan
Formula One is a web of contradictions. It's meant to be about excellent technology and brilliant drivers; but having state of the art technology will make it easier for the drivers and making things more tricky for the drivers usually means less technology. Formula One is also meant to be about the best drivers competing for the title, but it's also a team sport. McLaren navigate through all of these contradictions as fair and as expediently as possible, unlike a lot of other teams.
By stonemonkey
There's been a few times with various teams (not always front runners) where a driver's been told that his teammate behind him is faster and they've let them pass without much fight, it's supposedly the drivers decision but it'll all be arranged for certain circumstances beforehand.
2 cars together don't go as fast as even the slower of the 2 can go on free track so it can be an advantage for both drivers, the slower having more chance of staying ahead of anyone else coming from behind and even for Piquet in a different team it wouldn't be a good idea to put up much fight and allow Massa to get closer and risk losing 2nd place (or worse JensonB).
Last edited by stonemonkey on 20 Jul 08, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
By darwin dali
There's been a few times with various teams (not always front runners) where a driver's been told that his teammate behind him is faster and they've let them pass without much fight. 2 cars together don't go as fast as even the slower of the 2 can go on free track so it can be an advantage for both drivers, the slower having more chance of staying ahead of anyone else coming from behind and even for Piquet in a different team it wouldn't be a good idea to put up much fight and allow Massa to get closer and risk losing 2nd place (or worse JensonB).

Huh?
By Denthúl

Well, Ferrari did a similar thing to ensure that Raikkonen won the world title, you know... ;)

See our F1 related articles too!