FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By racechick
Barrichello almost had 2nd, I was hoping he would get to Hamilton.

If it had carried on lashing down and he hadn't had the refuelling rig issue, he could potentially have done it, seeing as Hamilton would most likely have had to pit for extremes and Barrichello was lapping around three seconds faster than Lewis at the time. If he had stayed out for another two laps, he would have been ahead of Nick, but he may not have been able to sustain that lead once the advantage of being on the right tyres went away.

Lewis had time in hand to come in for TWO extra pistops. No way anyone could have beaten him today.
By nikon133
Here come the Ferrari trolls

Just face it, Mclaren were way more on top this weekend! :clap:

Also Nick wow, he is back from this race! He drove superbly

Yeah, I think McLaren car was car to beat this weekend, and whole team was also functioning superbly. That is reason more I'm disappointed with Heikki... it looked as if he, simply, didn't have what it takes to do well under conditions (which is hardly an excuse). :irked:

Which I said at the beginning of the seasonb. Great guy, reasonable driver but not on lewis' level.

It is still to early for the big picture - if nothing else, it is his 1st season in McLaren, he might just be one of those needing a bit more time to adapt.

But so far - and specially in this race - he was simply not there.
By Big Azza
I'm glad that we aren't coming back to Silverstone next year. I don't really like the idea of the race going to Donnington Park either; I would've preferred Brand's Hatch or even not having a British Grand Prix at all. Perhaps there may be a street race in Gibraltar! :blush:

This marks my first Grand Prix (legally) drinking alcohol. Which I cleverly used to be get to sleep at 6pm, and wake up at 11pm to watch the race. I then switched over to Wimbledon, and, despite planning to go back to sleep at 3am, the Tennis went through until 6:30am and now I'm at work. :thumbdown::yawn:

If Lewis Hamilton's career doesn't work out in Formula One, he could drive a cruise liner. A race full of action. And Hamilton won which would give me another chance to drink in celebration! Except, Queensland won the state of Origin this week (Rugby League) on Wednesday, I had a party on Thursday, I had a farewell party with karaoke for a friend on Friday, got drunk again on Saturday, I think enough is enough. (But Rum and Coke is the best! :drink: )

I really wanted Kovaleinen to finish second. Or first. For the first time in a long time I was rooting for a different driver to win than Hamilton. Mark Webber, that is, until the first corner of the first lap of the race.

You cannot wipe this smug grin off my face, delighted that the Ferraris are not doing well, considering what happened at Magny-Cours. Retirements left, right and centre, yet somehow Lewis Hamilton won the race. Shame for Nelson Piquet who was running fourth, but also retiring.

I would like to point out how clueless the ITV team are right now. Classic examples:

“He’s coming up behind a Honda. I think it’s Barichelo. Whoever it is, they’re running very slowly. No – it’s a Ferrari! It Raikkonen! No – it’s Massa.”

“The graphic is indicating Kovaleinen is in third position…. Oh yes, it’s right…” :rolleyes:

Now I'm going to have some more: :coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:
By Rivelution
Lewis had time in hand to come in for TWO extra pistops. No way anyone could have beaten him today.

No. He could've spun and Heidfeld could've passed him, or Barrichello could've kept up his amazing pace without the pitstop and pass him. I know it didnt happen, but never say there was no way anyone could've beaten him because as Murray Walker says its racing and anything can happen, and it usually does.
By racechick

No. He could've spun and Heidfeld could've passed him, or Barrichello could've kept up his amazing pace without the pitstop and pass him. I know it didnt happen, but never say there was no way anyone could've beaten him because as Murray Walker says its racing and anything can happen, and it usually does.

Well yes anyone could spin of course. Barrichello could have spun . Heidfeld could have spun :rolleyes: We're into hypotheticals here. But they didnt spin, nor did lewis and Lewis' pace was way above theirs
By scotty
It was a bit crazy how Hamilton was lapping seconds a lap faster than the other Inter runners - i think the rest of the pack were tiptoeing round, trying not to spin and hoping to make places from others spinning, yet ironically most of them had proper spins at some point. Hamilton was going for it but only had one excursion across the grass, which is mightily impressive.

I still don't quite know how Raikkonen managed to get back to 4th after all his problems, but then he isn't world champion for no reason.

This season has been really incident packed so far, it seems that every race has had one of the title contenders crashing/breaking down/getting a penalty or whatever, so let's hope that trend continues.
By bmwpower
I sure noticed when he overtooked my man

It seemed everyone ignored poor Nick this weekend. First they didn't even show his Q3 run when he was bumped into 8th then last second came back and secured 5th, then during his battle with the McLaren and Ferrari, they announcer called him Button. "Button just made a move on Heikki" "Buttom just turned on the afterburner on Kimi and pulling away" "What a move by Button". Guessed Nick has the last laugh, yes the man is sneaky and consistent, if you let him hang around long enough he will secure points for you. For those calling for his head, still want to replace a proven veteran with Nico or Vettel again??
By Rivelution
I sure noticed when he overtooked my man

It seemed everyone ignored poor Nick this weekend. First they didn't even show his Q3 run when he was bumped into 8th then last second came back and secured 5th, then during his battle with the McLaren and Ferrari, they announcer called him Button. "Button just made a move on Heikki" "Buttom just turned on the afterburner on Kimi and pulling away" "What a move by Button". Guessed Nick has the last laugh, yes the man is sneaky and consistent, if you let him hang around long enough he will secure points for you. For those calling for his head, still want to replace a proven veteran with Nico or Vettel again??

The announcers didnt seem excited about his two double passes. They were absolutely stunned by Massa's double pass in Canada, but Heidfeld did it TWICE at Silverstone and it seemed like no one noticed.
By bmwpower
It was a bit crazy how Hamilton was lapping seconds a lap faster than the other Inter runners - i think the rest of the pack were tiptoeing round, trying not to spin and hoping to make places from others spinning, yet ironically most of them had proper spins at some point. Hamilton was going for it but only had one excursion across the grass, which is mightily impressive.

Its much easier to drive with a lead in wet then to follow in wet weather. When you are chasing in the wet you are blinded by the rooster tail, try to go off the line to make a pass and you will hydroplane, stay behind and you loose downforce, all in the meantime keeping your eyes in the mirrors for the cars behind you. Its typical of these type of races, have a good car, get the lead and all you need to do is stay on the line and not to fall asleep while the people in the back are fighting each other.
By bud

Its much easier to drive with a lead in wet then to follow in wet weather. When you are chasing in the wet you are blinded by the rooster tail, try to go off the line to make a pass and you will hydroplane, stay behind and you loose downforce, all in the meantime keeping your eyes in the mirrors for the cars behind you. Its typical of these type of races, have a good car, get the lead and all you need to do is stay on the line and not to fall asleep while the people in the back are fighting each other.

yeah Hamilton had it easy, and his drive wasnt impressive hey
By bmwpower
The announcers didnt seem excited about his two double passes. They were absolutely stunned by Massa's double pass in Canada, but Heidfeld did it TWICE at Silverstone and it seemed like no one noticed.

and he did it in the rain!!! guessed people are not suprised by it because Heidfeld is very consistent and methodical in his driving. I can't wait to the next GP with Heidfeld back on form (hopefully :rolleyes: )
and Robert should bounce back.
By bmwpower
eah Hamilton had it easy, and his drive wasnt impressive hey

Lets go back and read my post again shall we?? not saying his drive wasn't impressive, just stating the fact that in typical wet weather , the lead driver has it easier then the back drivers.
By Rivelution

and he did it in the rain!!! guessed people are not suprised by it because Heidfeld is very consistent and methodical in his driving. I can't wait to the next GP with Heidfeld back on form (hopefully :rolleyes: )
and Robert should bounce back.

Robert's fine, he would've had a podium finish but his time was up for a mistake and he just so happened to do it at Silverstone. I hope Nick does well at Germany, he claims that he's solved his tyre issue and hopefully his performance today boosts up his morale.
By Mikep99
By przemo
Though, I'm not sure I'd classify the choice of tyres to be "brilliant". I'd have to agree with Brundle that it was a no-brainer to send the cars out with extreme wets when they were 10 seconds a lap faster. The truly astonishing thing was why more teams didn't do this.

I have to agree. I also wondered why other teams didn't go for full-wets. I was waiting for the second pit-stop of both BMW-Sauber drivers, Barichello was already on full-wets for several laps and he was lapping way faster than anyone. There was much standing water on the track and black clouds in the sky. Heidfeld did ask the team if they should go for extremes, but they said no. Even if they could go for 8-10 laps on full-wets they would gain more than they would then lose for the remaining laps, when the track would be dry. I thought they could even gain as much so that they could stop again once the track dried.

The commentators on polish TV were astonished by Heidfeld's drive today, especially by those double passes. :D

See our F1 related articles too!