FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By Selcouth_Feline
The lovely Max Moseley is pushing for greener engines which are more fuel efficient.
He's said he'd like to see such technologies as regenerative braking introduced by 2009. "F1 could be positioned at the cutting edge of fuel-efficiency research and development,"

So, the a 3 year ban on engine development coming up soon, should F1 go green?
By darwin dali
Absolutely! I've been calling for a change to green(er) for years now. Finally, something seems to move.

I'd propose a formula where engine size or design are unrestricted. The only thing that matters will be fuel (including alternative ones): first year you get I dunno, 100 liters for the entire race. Then, each year the amount will decrease by 10% or something like that. This would teach these engineers (and most importantly manufacturers) to develop fuel efficient cars quickly and make them competitive and usable. Battery cells and Hydrogen fuel cells would suddenly get really small and light weight;-)
F1 cars racing on Hydrogen fuel cells at 200mph? Sure, why not?
By certom
it would be great! IF Formula 1 is the expression of the highest car tecnology(although today i wouldn't say this), this changes must be introduced! The research of the top performance shouldn't pass only through petrol and big engines, this also for street cars (like Porsche: i can't understand why they don't make a diesel engine), but trough alternative fuels, like gas and, why not, hydrogen, although i think it will take much time.. (can you imagine F1 cars with hydrogen cells? They would change radically their figure!!)
By neil
Anything is better than a redwash :D

Seruously though, it is the smartest move F1 could make. Max is correct when he says most of what they are trying to develop is irrelevant to how cars will be in the not to distant future.
But I wont stand for quiet racing cars !!!! :shock:
By darwin dali
Neil, there's your chance to get into the showbiz: we'll record you doing broom, brooom, brooooom! and then fit every car with a speaker and run the tape on endless loop during the race :mrgreen:
By neil
Neil, there's your chance to get into the showbiz: we'll record you doing broom, brooom, brooooom! and then fit every car with a speaker and run the tape on endless loop during the race :mrgreen:

Great minds etc I was thinking the same thing :D

BTW Stephen get some better emoticons :twisted:
By Selcouth_Feline

You may laugh, but there are people out there who have recordings of Ferrari's who play them out of their cars to make themselves look, um, "cool" :)

It would be cool if F1 went green as I think R&D into greener solutions for road cars would improve significantly and it would be nice to see the technology on the roads. There has to be a better solution that the Toyota Prius ;)
By darwin dali
Prius? Plain ugly, but what do you expect from Toyota?
By bud

Great minds etc I was thinking the same thing :D

BTW Stephen get some better emoticons :twisted:

haha, i often thought the same thing, if they went electric where would be the thrill of the noise, speakers maybe the crazy frog for each car :shock:

prius hehe ive driven one, its freaky with no sound :shock:
By Selcouth_Feline
Randomly, while we're on the subject of green cars, I give you (drum roll please!) the ZAP OBVIO

Quite possibly the only 'green' branded car I'd ever buy if only because it looks a little bits nuts. Miles better than that wretched Prius and those hideous little electric cars that are the scurge of London streets
By Stephen
You'd buy that?! What is it with women and awful cars? :roll:
By Evaneoun
Yeah F1 should go green as soon as it can. No reason why it shouldn't be green really as far as I see, the technology must be there. Would going green mean losing some of the smaller teams if the costs are too much for them?
By Selcouth_Feline
With F1 trying to standardise things (ECUs springs to mind) and with them on a drive to reduce costs to encourage the smaller teams, I can't see why going green would lose them. Even if they did, there are plenty of other small teams who would leap at the chance of getting their place, as next season's battle to take the remaining team spots has shown....I don't see F1 going too green in the near future though.
By Evaneoun
True, I think it needs the smaller teams anyway. But I agree I can't see it happening for quite a while yet.

See our F1 related articles too!