FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By Ron Dennis
Schumacher was a great driver - but he is history - time to move on
By 7UpJordan
I'm going to tip Honda to be next season's dark horse with Brawn at the helm. Jenson's always craved a good enough car and he may just get one with Brawn, and also with Barrichello having worked with Brawn at Ferrari for 6 years, they'll be able to drawn upon their experience working together to develop the car.
By Ron Dennis
I would agree with you, though Ross's influence will not be that great on the car - it has already been designed/built!
By Fact Man
So, I can see Alonso moving to Honda. Renault being under investigation might not be the right move.

As long as he's given the #1 role and he's told that with Brawn arrival at Honda, both of them will improve the team (a la MS/Todt). He might let go of winning for couple of years if the pay is substantial.
By texasmr2
Concerning Alonso going to Renault SPEED reported yesterday that Renault itself is willing to make up the difference between Flavio's initial offer and Alonso's requested salary. With the new allegation's against Renault though this could change.

I agree RD if Honda keep's their hand's out of it Brawn should be able to turn Honda around. I look forward to seeing them progress up the grid.
Last edited by texasmr2 on 12 Nov 07, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
By racechick
So, I can see Alonso moving to Honda. Renault being under investigation might not be the right move.

As long as he's given the #1 role and he's told that with Brawn arrival at Honda, both of them will improve the team (a la MS/Todt). He might let go of winning for couple of years if the pay is substantial.

Well I hope Alonso doesnt go to honda. Button has stuck with them all this time he deserves the chance to show what he can do in a good car. If Alonso goes it will be on prima dona conditions and Button(or whoever is beside him) wont get a chance.
By texasmr2

Well I hope Alonso doesnt go to honda. Button has stuck with them all this time he deserves the chance to show what he can do in a good car. If Alonso goes it will be on prima dona conditions and Button(or whoever is beside him) wont get a chance.

I agree with you 100% racechick.
By darwin dali
Hm, I'm a fan of drivers foremost. But I also like non-driver team members, e.g., people like Peter Sauber, who make me sorta support the team, i.e., BMW-Sauber.
I'm a huge fan of Ross Brawn and he's active (again) as opposed to Peter Sauber.
Hm, I may have to switch allegiance. BMW-Sauber (PS, NH), Honda (RB), Ferrari (FM, KR) - hm, difficult...
By bud
DD doesnt it annoy you when BMWSauber first launched as the new team that it was always mentioned as its proper name BMWSauber yet once they started doing very well like this year its just BMW. thats crap if you ask me!!!

then again McLaren gets called just that without a mention of Mercedes all the time but its kinda the opposite to what i mentioned above.
By nikon133
Well the 2008 car is built so we need to look for 09 to see the Brawn effect

Umm... RB isn't a designer, anyway... hopefully honda will have decent wheels for RB to manage (and JB to drive...).

I'm sorry RB hasn't gone to RB... Red Bull, that is. Him and Adrian - with (maybe) Alonso - would likely make strong team in a year or two.

As it is... it's kind of natural to me that RB wanted new challenges - and not that Honda's money is necessarily minor to Ferrari's offer... Anyway, rub it into Ferrari's fans faces or not, I don't see this as Ferrari's big loss - they did well without RB this year, actually much better than previous 2 years they had both RB and MS. Even caliber like RB can do only that much without good car...
By deMuRe
From the BBC website:-

The struggling Honda team are poised to announce a major coup by appointing former Ferrari technical director Ross Brawn as their team principal.

The 52-year-old Englishman is to be confirmed in his new role on Monday, BBC Sport has learnt, with Nick Fry continuing as chief executive.

Brawn was the technical mastermind behind Ferrari's unprecedented success in the first half of this decade.

He will be expected to turn Honda from underachievers into a major force.

It is Brawn's first role as team principal, but few inside F1 doubt he will be a success in the position - as long as Honda's management in Japan allow him free reign to run the team.

Brawn joins at the end of the worst season in Honda's modern history.

The team produced one of the most uncompetitive cars on the grid this season, with Jenson Button managing only six points and the veteran former Ferrari driver Rubens Barrichello failing to score any at all.

That was despite Button giving the team their first win of the modern era in Hungary in 2006.

Brawn joining the team will be a huge reassurance to Button, who said at the weekend he would not tolerate another season of underachievement.

"The car was a complete dog, and I'm just not interested in racing like this any more," Button said.

"I'd love to win the title with Honda but I've got to start winning, and if I don't then I have to be ruthless."

Brawn became synonymous with Schumacher's success
However, Brawn will not be able to turn the team around overnight.

Next year's Honda car has already been designed, and he will be focusing his initial efforts on reorganising the team to ensure it is competitive in 2009.

Nevertheless, it is to be expected that his impact will begin to be felt as the 2008 season progresses.

Brawn is hugely highly rated in F1, where he became synonymous with Michael Schumacher.

The two were together at Benetton in the early 1990s, winning back-to-back world titles in 1994 and 1995, before both moved to Ferrari in 1996.

Their arrival marked a dramatic upturn in the Italian team's fortunes, turning them into world beaters after years in the doldrums.

Schumacher finally ended Ferrari's 21-year run without a drivers' title in 2000, the first of five championships in a row.

Brawn took a sabbatical from F1 following Schumacher's retirement at the end of 2006, and has been in demand by Red Bull and Toyota as well as Honda.

Fry is rumoured to have been chasing Brawn since last spring, but Ferrari had first call on his services.

Brawn began talks with his former team in the summer but he was unable to agree a deal to become their team principal.

Now those negotiations have failed, he has decided to take on a challenge that will be at least the equal of that he undertook at Ferrari - and Honda will hope he is able to have a similar effect on them.

Great news for Honda and a slap in the face for Ferrari.

With the Englishman at the helm I foresee good times ahead for the Honda team. I predicted this some time back on another site and was laughed at by Ferrari fans who said that if Ross came back, he'd only want to work for one team.

Anyway, this is great news and I hope the dawn of a serious WDC push from Button and Honda.

It was printed in Autosport about 6 months ago that Brawn was looking at moving to Honda...
By Woodchip

Umm... RB isn't a designer, anyway... hopefully honda will have decent wheels for RB to manage (and JB to drive...).

I'm sorry RB hasn't gone to RB... Red Bull, that is. Him and Adrian - with (maybe) Alonso - would likely make strong team in a year or two.

As it is... it's kind of natural to me that RB wanted new challenges - and not that Honda's money is necessarily minor to Ferrari's offer... Anyway, rub it into Ferrari's fans faces or not, I don't see this as Ferrari's big loss - they did well without RB this year, actually much better than previous 2 years they had both RB and MS. Even caliber like RB can do only that much without good car...
Thanks to your post I've realised how many RB's there are in F1...

Ros Brawn, Rory Bryne, Rubens Barrichello, Red Bull are the first four that came to mind. Maybe I need to change my name then I'll have a chance.
By Ron Dennis

Oh goodness everyone’s gotta try and be a clever s***.

We all know that he is not a designer, but he will be the guy in charge of bringing in some of the top guys in F1 to the Honda team.

Sorry I did not write a 64 page essay to appease everyone and ensure that I meticulously detailed everything.

ummmm......
Last edited by Ron Dennis on 13 Nov 07, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
By Ron Dennis
From the BBC website:-

The struggling Honda team are poised to announce a major coup by appointing former Ferrari technical director Ross Brawn as their team principal.

The 52-year-old Englishman is to be confirmed in his new role on Monday, BBC Sport has learnt, with Nick Fry continuing as chief executive.

Brawn was the technical mastermind behind Ferrari's unprecedented success in the first half of this decade.

He will be expected to turn Honda from underachievers into a major force.

It is Brawn's first role as team principal, but few inside F1 doubt he will be a success in the position - as long as Honda's management in Japan allow him free reign to run the team.

Brawn joins at the end of the worst season in Honda's modern history.

The team produced one of the most uncompetitive cars on the grid this season, with Jenson Button managing only six points and the veteran former Ferrari driver Rubens Barrichello failing to score any at all.

That was despite Button giving the team their first win of the modern era in Hungary in 2006.

Brawn joining the team will be a huge reassurance to Button, who said at the weekend he would not tolerate another season of underachievement.

"The car was a complete dog, and I'm just not interested in racing like this any more," Button said.

"I'd love to win the title with Honda but I've got to start winning, and if I don't then I have to be ruthless."

Brawn became synonymous with Schumacher's success
However, Brawn will not be able to turn the team around overnight.

Next year's Honda car has already been designed, and he will be focusing his initial efforts on reorganising the team to ensure it is competitive in 2009.

Nevertheless, it is to be expected that his impact will begin to be felt as the 2008 season progresses.

Brawn is hugely highly rated in F1, where he became synonymous with Michael Schumacher.

The two were together at Benetton in the early 1990s, winning back-to-back world titles in 1994 and 1995, before both moved to Ferrari in 1996.

Their arrival marked a dramatic upturn in the Italian team's fortunes, turning them into world beaters after years in the doldrums.

Schumacher finally ended Ferrari's 21-year run without a drivers' title in 2000, the first of five championships in a row.

Brawn took a sabbatical from F1 following Schumacher's retirement at the end of 2006, and has been in demand by Red Bull and Toyota as well as Honda.

Fry is rumoured to have been chasing Brawn since last spring, but Ferrari had first call on his services.

Brawn began talks with his former team in the summer but he was unable to agree a deal to become their team principal.

Now those negotiations have failed, he has decided to take on a challenge that will be at least the equal of that he undertook at Ferrari - and Honda will hope he is able to have a similar effect on them.

Great news for Honda and a slap in the face for Ferrari.

With the Englishman at the helm I foresee good times ahead for the Honda team. I predicted this some time back on another site and was laughed at by Ferrari fans who said that if Ross came back, he'd only want to work for one team.

Anyway, this is great news and I hope the dawn of a serious WDC push from Button and Honda.

It was printed in Autosport about 6 months ago that Brawn was looking at moving to Honda...

That is pretty cool as I said it long before that.

;-)
By Martin

Yes great news for Honda and Jenson and Rubens. But, as RD says, the 08 car is built now, although I dont think it will be 09 before the Brawn effect is felt. Ross will be in control of all the aspects of the team. The 08 car is almost certainly better than the 07 so I think that Honda were set to improve anyway, Ross will be a major influence on top of that - I just hope that he can handle the pressure of so much expectation.

Ferrari will have to look at McL, BMW, and maybe Honda next year, and if Renault get their act together maybe them as well. I think that Ferrari will slide a bit. Kimi is a brilliant driver, but I am not sure about his ability to galvanise his team like M.S. did. He certainly does not have the same relationship with J.T. does he?. Mind you, I cant blame him for that! JT is now a liability for Ferrari I think.

08 should be a good year and I think 09 even better.

See our F1 related articles too!