FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Wow Overboost, did you really say “I fail to see anything particularly unsafe in Vettel skidding off track then skidding back on track”.

Remember Alex Zanardi. I can find loads of serious accidents with injury from such activity. I have an artificial right hip thanks to a just such an “accidental” incident.

Hamilton did just the right thing. If he hadn’t backs out and braked I think both he and Vettel would have crashed.

I found it very interesting to review Jolyon Palmers analysis. Take special note of the throttle indicated by the green bars on the right side of the image. Vettel chose to block Hamilton. When I opened this tread I didn’t notice that.

I still say they should have the option of giving up the position with no time penalty. I still believe Vettel might have won if given that option.

Check out Jolyon’s post from Formula 1.com

Jolyon Palmer’s analysis:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... jOh04.html
Dixon manages to drive away from this big crash. He finished 5ht with 30 points. (and won the championship)

Check out the wise driving of Scott Dixon in the Portland IRL race from 2018:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X49QUdVsMAo

All those racing VIP's you mentioned, would have been whining like a wet baby if they had been in Hamilton's place.

As it was Vettel did more than enough enough Whining.

ActionJackson
Well it was unsafe for Vettel if he were to hit the wall I suppose but the cars are built for it so that mitigates the risk alot in my mind. Vettel was expert in getting his car back under control, not hitting the wall, leaving room for the other car and retaining the lead. Excellent recovery from Vettel, not many other drivers could have done as good a job.

Hamilton was never in any danger, he saw what was happening and was prepared. He also tried to take advantage and take the position but the gap was closing so he appropriately backed out and avoided causing a wreck. I must say he is doing better at defensive driving now as we have seen in the past Hamilton would have pressed forward and caused a crash like in Canada 2011 with Button, Monaco 2011 with Massa, Spain 2016 with Rosberg, etc, etc. So good work from Hamilton as well.

What we saw was in Canada 2019 just racing and stuff happens when they drivers are pushing to the limit as expected. This is what we want to see, hard racers racing hard for the win. Having stewards hand out gifts is not what any real fan is interested in nor any of the scores of F1 drivers and world champions who had immediately gone on the record and called out this penalty as fake.

Canada 2019 will be long remembered as a great race turned into a fiasco by a fake penalty. I bet those stewards would just love to go back through all the past F1 races and apply this penalty and change the outcomes of scores of races. They would be so proud and could tell their grandchildren of how many races they ruined just because they could.

ps. Palmer was a lousy driver and now he is writing articles? Anyway he is paid by FOM to do video analysis for them so I would say his opinion is virtually worthless.

ps2. Sorry about your hip but that's racing I guess.

ps3. Hamilton had the faster car so he never would have been able to pass if he had given up the position. So that idea is a non starter.
Last edited by overboost on 04 Nov 19, 00:53, edited 4 times in total.
It was the crybabies Toto Wolff and Lewis Hamilton who bawled for the stewards in Canada. Grown men not the young Ferrari kid you are mocking here.

But it worked so getting emotional and stamping your feet like a toddler gets results so why wouldn't Merc have that as their go to strategy. For them it is alot easier than actually having to race for a win.

See our F1 related articles too!