FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By overboost
By overboost
By overboost
By overboost
Ferrari is looking a bit lost even with their new engine and upgrades.

Merc dominance.
By myownalias
It doesn't look like competition is getting any better, Ferrari further away than before this season, I might just watch the 30-minute highlights tomorrow, barring any mistake from the German team, there won't be any other result than a Mercedes 1 - 2, Red Bull and Ferrari are not even close, the only question is which Mercedes driver will be on the top step.
By gdh
Ferrari once again proved how inept their leadership is. If they want to be true champions it is time to put in the best leaders possible regardless of nationality. Red Bull/Honda are getting ready to kick their butts once Gasly gets fully confident in the car. Have to truly admire just how good Team Mercedes is. I am actually looking fwd to seeing if Merc can go 1/2 for all 21 events, now that would make for a historic interesting season.
By myownalias
Maybe it's time to start adding ballast to the cars who were successful in the previous race, i.e. the winner gets the most ballast, second gets the second most ballast, etc... It's bad for the sport to have one team dominating, five races so far and five Mercedes 1-2's, and it's not even close. Given that 10 weeks ago, it was looking like Ferrari were the team to beat in Spain, but clearly, Mercedes were sandbagging like crazy, I can't believe that have turned around such a massive deficit into a huge surplus, 0.8 seconds a lap.

I did like David Croft's analogy that F1 is like a soundcheck at a rock concert, Mercedes, 1-2, 1-2, 1-2, 1-2, 1-2, that made me chuckle.

I did watch the whole race, although frankly, most of it was duller than dishwater. I might just skip Monaco, I don't like the race and with Mercedes dominance, it'll be a ZZZzzz.
By myownalias
In an attempt to get some discussion going, the championship isn't generating :censored:

Romain Grosjean's use of the run-off area on the outside of turn 1 as a means to defend, when Sainz was on the inside of turn 1, clearly alongside, if not a little ahead, Grosjean took to the runoff, rejoining after the bollard as mandated by the race director, however, he clearly gained an advantage as had he stayed on track, he would not have been a car length ahead of Sainz at that point of the track. The stewards noted the incident but took no further action. I believe Grosjean was very lucky to not get punished for the blatant use of the runoff area to defend.

What do y'all think?
By darwin dali
Yes, but he was following the regulations. Kinda like Kimi back in the days using the paved runoff to gain more speed - was that in Monza?
By myownalias
Yes, but he was following the regulations. Kinda like Kimi back in the days using the paved runoff to gain more speed - was that in Monza?

But, don't the rules also say something like "a driver may not gain an advantage by exceeding track limits"? Clearly, the FIA race director, when creating the must rejoin after the bollard rule, was not expecting drivers to keep their foot on the throttle and get through turn 1 into 2 faster than they could within the track limits.
By overboost
If the bollard wasn't there then you would have a point with that rule. But the race director intervened with the bollard and set a directive for that particular corner and Grosjean followed it properly. So there is not much that the race director or stewards can do. Haas would have them for breakfast if they tried imo.
Last edited by overboost on 14 May 19, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.
By sagi58
Ferrari is looking a bit lost even with their new engine and upgrades.

Merc dominance.

How did this happen... again??

Maybe Schumi was Ferrari...

See our F1 related articles too!