FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By sagi58
Staff wrote:">Michael Schumacher’s son to make F1 debut in Ferrari test next week

https://youtu.be/DV1WjTglrjo

Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick, will make his Formula One debut in a test for Ferrari on 2 April, after the Bahrain Grand Prix, it is understood. Ferrari have yet to confirm the test but Schumacher is expected to drive for them on one day and Alfa Romeo, with whom Ferrari have a partnership, on the next.

Schumacher was signed to the Ferrari driver academy in January. The 19-year-old, who was the European Formula 3 champion last season, will compete for Prema Racing in the F2 championship in the first round of the series in Bahrain. The test is a preliminary step to potentially joining the team with whom his father enjoyed such success.

Michael, who is still in recovery after a severe accident while skiing in 2013, won the world championship seven times. Five of the titles were with Ferrari, for whom he drove between 1996 and 2006. His son began racing in karting in 2008.

“I am thrilled that Ferrari has entered a partnership with me and my next future in motorsport will be in red, being part of the Ferrari driver academy and also of the Scuderia Ferrari family,” Schumacher said after been signed by the Italian team. “This is another step in the right direction, and I can only profit from the immense amount of expertise bundled there. Be sure I will make everything to extract whatever helps me achieve my dream, racing in Formula One.

“It is more than obvious that Ferrari has a big place in my heart since I was born and also in the hearts of our family, so I am delighted on a personal level about this opportunity as well.”
By Jabberwocky
I don't really know much about him, is he any good?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
By Jabberwocky
Has he shown talent. F3 like F1 is sometimes about having the money

By darwin dali
From what I read, he drove the competition in the ground during the second half of the season.
By myownalias
Regardless of his credentials, it will be good to see M Schumacher back on the timesheets.
By myownalias
I just dont want him to be the next Hill

Why not? Damon Hill did OK for himself, winning a world title and almost won another, foiled by Mick's father ironically.
By Jabberwocky
The William's was the car to have at that time. 90% of the grid could of won the championship in it. The same with Jacques championship to a degree.

By myownalias
The William's was the car to have at that time. 90% of the grid could of won the championship in it. The same with Jacques championship to a degree.

Wouldn't you say that is true for quite a lot of world champions over the years, especially in recent years, first with Vettel in the Red Bull, then Hamilton in the Mercedes?
By sagi58
From the relatively little time I've been watching, MOA is absolutely right...

Wouldn't you say that is true for quite a lot of world champions over the years, especially in recent years, first with Vettel in the Red Bull, then Hamilton in the Mercedes?

History repeats itself...
p.s. conspicuous by their absence are Ferrari and Schumi, just sayin'!! :wavey:
Last edited by sagi58 on 29 Mar 19, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
By Jabberwocky
You are right. However I do think that the last championship that was not down to the car was Sebs first Championship. Remember the last race when there was 3 contenders.

Before that. I can not remember the last time it was not down to the car

By myownalias
p.s. conspicuous by their absence are Ferrari and Schumi, just sayin'!! :wavey:

Different times, the points system during the Schumacher / Ferrari dominance was much tighter, there were only 4 points, later reduced to 2, between first and second places, unlike today's 7 points gap, and a lot fewer points available overall. Which made it much tougher to have a title won with 3 - 4 races remaining.

You are right. However I do think that the last championship that was not down to the car was Sebs first Championship. Remember the last race when there was 3 contenders.

Before that. I can not remember the last time it was not down to the car

Vettel's first title, that seems so long ago now, but yes, you are correct, one close call in heaven knows how many years, no wonder our interest in the sport continues to wane year after to year.
By Jabberwocky
I was thinking about it whilst driving. The close one before that was when HHF was in the Jordan. (From memory)

By Jabberwocky
I just dont want him to be the next Hill

In a massive dose of Karma, today is my birthday, and my in-laws got me a massive (A0 size) signed Damon Hill picture '96 vintage.

See our F1 related articles too!