FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Sky peak viewership of the LH championship winning races:

https://f1broadcasting.co/2018/11/01/ha ... ve-on-sky/
Last edited by overboost on 01 Nov 18, 22:59, edited 3 times in total.
No surprises! I'm sure F1 reaches so many more homes today than ever!

Hamilton has always had a strong following! Especially, in the U.K.
Also, "fickle" fans love to jump on the winner's bandwagon!

And, in the case of F1, that's especially true, when Schumi / Ferrari
aren't holding the reins.

Last edited by sagi58 on 01 Nov 18, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
Actually that data shows the "fickle" UK fans are dropping Hamilton and F1 in droves. Sad for F1.
I know it sounds like I'm beating a dead horse; but, when Schumi/Ferrari were winning titles, it seems to me that it was result of hours and hours spent on a test track.

Today, it seems to be the result of a combination of hours spent in a simulator "playing" a video game in order to master controls and tire strategy as dictated by the manufacturer.

Is it any wonder people have been turned off?

That would be like winning the Stanley Cup on...

Or the World Series in a...

Or the Masters indoors on a...

I think whether you enjoy modern day F1 or not, the days of a minor team being able to regularly give the big boys bloody noses (similar to Benetton in 1994 or Jordan in 1999 etc) are over.
Other than Formula E it looks as though all racing series viewership is in a steady downtrend. Under 40 viewership is key but these other series are simply not interesting to them. Tbh when Schumi/Ferrari and Vettel/RB dominated for more than 3 yrs I lost interest. These days I much prefer when the races are overseas as we can either record early morning or watch if start @ 9 am and have the race in the background as not much else on Sunday mornings. Afternoon races if it is a crappy day out we'll have the race on with NFL on split screen. It is just not entertaining enough to waste a nice sunny Sunday afternoon by sitting inside.
Hopefully, imposing a budget cap for 2019 will help level the playing field. Thinking it will not eliminate the domination by any one of the top three. It is at least a recognition that a disparity exists and an attempt to mitigate it.

Newly returned to following F1 this year, it is still all new and exciting for me. Early on I recognized the dominance OP speaks to and focused my watching on mid-pack racing.
A budget cap will level the amount of money spent; BUT,
teams who are further behind will not be able to catch up
to the front teams.

Just look at the beginning of the Turbo Engine era. Mercedes
helps the FIA write the rules on engine specifications, while
developing their engine and guess what? A dumb token system
is implemented on ALL teams, limiting their engine development.
In effect, Mercedes had a fully developed turbo engine, everyone
else was playing catch up...

Isn't that going to be the scenario with a budget cap?
Interesting thoughts and information on the budget cap, sagi58. Curious here how this will play out. Ferrari's Team Principle said in an F1 interview not long ago that the budget cap would not adversely effect its development. Wait and see for 2019, I guess.

Honda may very well be the wild card in this. Their engineers have set F1 on its ear before. Very possibly they may do it again.

Cheers. arnold

See our F1 related articles too!