FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Renault confirms Ricciardo will partner Hulkenberg in 2019

Daniel Ricciardo's shock move to the Renault Formula 1 team for 2019 has been confirmed.
The Australian's departure from Red Bull was announced by his current employer on Friday afternoon, as it emerged that Ricciardo had signed terms with Renault.

Red Bull's announcement has now been followed by Renault welcoming the seven-time grand prix winner to the team with a two-year deal.

Ricciardo will partner Nico Hulkenberg at the team, meaning Carlos Sainz will leave the French squad.

"It was probably one of the most difficult decisions to take in my career so far," said Ricciardo. "But I thought that it was time for me to take on a fresh and new challenge.

"I realise that there is a lot ahead in order to allow Renault to reach their target of competing at the highest level but I have been impressed by their progression in only two years, and I know that each time Renault has been in the sport they eventually won. I hope to be able to help them in this journey and contribute on and off track."

Renault's F1 boss Cyril Abiteboul said: "Daniel's signing underscores our determination to accelerate our progress towards the forefront of the sport. It is also a recognition of the work accomplished over the past two and a half seasons.

"Daniel's undoubted talent and charisma are a huge bonus and statement for the team. We will have to repay his faith in us by delivering the best car possible. We welcome him to our growing team in 2019 with a great deal of pride, but also humility."

Ricciardo's move away has come as a major surprise given he and Red Bull had indicated a new deal was a formality and earlier this week suggested it was just a matter of fine-tuning small details.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... l/3153206/
Quite the coup for Renault!

So either this will work out for Ricciardo or it won't, a bit of a gamble. But for sure his goose was getting cooked at RB with Verstappen being favoured.
Ricciardo is said to be on a 20M pound/yr salary at Renault. This is alot more than Verstappen at RB.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/18374/ri ... nault.html
Last edited by overboost on 30 Nov 18, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
Who gets the RB seat?

Gasly

Sainz

Alonso?
I thought the deal was all but done for a Red Bull contract renewal.

Renault is certainly an interesting prospect, they have been improving year on year since it became a factory team once again, maybe in the next year or three, they could be challenging for wins or even titles. I'm a Daniel Ricciardo fan and hope this works out for him, maybe a year or two lagging behind, before coming good like Mercedes did for Hamilton.
These two will be an interesting matchup.

See our F1 related articles too!