FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By Delfy
Well congratulations Ferrari! A magnificent one/two on a Mercedes track! looks like they finally engaged their ‘party mode’. :hehe: Looks like this superiority is also filtering down to Haas, 10th and 11th , not bad at all!!
Ferrari should take this, even though race pace is closer. Never underestimate Mercedes ability to screw up strategy!
I’m hoping for points scores this weekend for Haas!!
By overboost
Interesting that as soon as Mercedes is cut back on burning oil no more Q3 big advantage. It's just not fair that they have to endure a fair fight!

Nah, it's all about the tire temp according to Toto:

"Yes, tomorrow will be the proof of concept," he said. "If not, we have to understand. But I think that the forecast is for quite some different temperatures, some 20º C hotter track temperature. It's a long race and that could make quite a difference. We have looked at tomorrow, but we have to see whether that proves to be right."

Wolff said the issue in qualifying boiled down to a failure to get the ultra-soft tyres up to temperature for a single flying lap.

"A car doesn't lose or gains speed from one race to another, from one day to another. The fundamental base from the car is good, we lost because it's about getting the tyre in the right temperature window -- the never ending story. And what we've suffered in the past, from overheating, has happened the other way around today.

"We were always too much on the cooler side and that has triggered a lack of grip and today you can see Ferrari has the tyre in the right window and it seems their car is like on rails, similar to what we had in Melbourne."

So what is it Mr Wolff? First it was too hot for the Merc and now it is too cold for the Merc.

I also read somewhere this morning that Merc has went back to their 2016 oil. I don't know if it is true or not but when their engine isn't a half second or more faster on any given lap than everyone else, then things the tires not being in the right temp windows or whatever start to make a difference. And there is no 'magic button' on the steering wheel for that. Poor Merc.
By myownalias
I did say that Danny Ric was going to win the race, talk about balls of steel, the pass for the lead was insane, it was a case of I'm coming through, we either crash or Bottas yields.
By ibsey
Great win by Riccardo and especially well timed after the disappointment of Bahrain
By overboost
Great win by Ricciardo. The best passer of them all.

By gdh
Great strategy by Red Bull, incredible drive by Ricc.hope that he doesn't sign on with Red Bull before having both Merc and Ferrari bid for his services. I would imagine that both LH and SV would try to block any signing.

Max is working hard to become the next Moldonado.
By sagi58
Interesting that as soon as Mercedes is cut back on burning oil no more Q3 big advantage. It's just not fair that they have to endure a fair fight!

Nah, it's all about the tire temp according to Toto....

First the FIA, then Pirelli... now Mother Nature?
Is everyone complicit? :rofl:
By sagi58
I did say that Danny Ric was going to win the race, talk about balls of steel, the pass for the lead was insane, it was a case of I'm coming through, we either crash or Bottas yields.

That was an incredible pass...
Happy for Daniel!!
By sagi58
Great strategy by Red Bull, incredible drive by Ricc....

Red Bull definitively got it right...
As for Ricciardo, I love his comment about all his wins coming under ""circumstances"" -- great attitude!!
... hope that he doesn't sign on with Red Bull before having both Merc and Ferrari bid for his services...

Sounds like a great strategy for Ferrari!!
...Max is working hard to become the next Moldonado.

Somebody's gotta do it, eh? :thumbup:
By overboost
Great strategy by Red Bull, incredible drive by Ricc.hope that he doesn't sign on with Red Bull before having both Merc and Ferrari bid for his services. I would imagine that both LH and SV would try to block any signing.

Max is working hard to become the next Moldonado.

Or is it Kyvat?

By myownalias
Great win by Riccardo and especially well timed after the disappointment of Bahrain

It does make you wonder, where Danny Ric could be in the title hunt if it weren't for his 'game over, put 50 pence in the meter to continue' moment in Bahrain.
By Irv the Swerve
After 15 laps it was difficult to keep watching but the safety car changed all that. Ric did great to end up winning especaillay after the dreadful luck he had. Think a few people are jumping the gun with the passes, he was on a softer compound that also did less laps.
By sagi58
After 15 laps it was difficult to keep watching but the safety car changed all that. Ric did great to end up winning especaillay after the dreadful luck he had. Think a few people are jumping the gun with the passes, he was on a softer compound that also did less laps.

Granted, fresher tires, softer compound; but, let's be fair, he DID pass a lot of people.
After all, if we are expected to oooooh and ahhhhhh whenever other drivers do the
same thing, why not give the same credit to Ricciardo?
By Irv the Swerve
Thats the thing, you are expected nowadays to be wowed by a pass as long as you forget that DRS is fake and helps out massively plus the tyres that have different grades.
By sagi58
Thats the thing, you are expected nowadays to be wowed by a pass as long as you forget that DRS is fake and helps out massively plus the tyres that have different grades.

Tell that to the play-by-play guys who sound like they're going to lose it,
whenever "some" drivers so much as pass a backmarker!! :rolleyes:

See our F1 related articles too!