FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By darwin dali
ESPNF1:
The FIA has revealed the initial details that will shape Formula One's 2021 engine regulation, following a meeting with teams and engine manufacturers in Paris on Tuesday.

Following heavy criticism of the current engine specification introduced to the sport in 2014, the FIA and FOM have been working in collaboration with manufacturers to outline a vision to future-proof the sport by ensuring it is relevant to future automotive technology, while aiming to create cheaper and less complicated power units.

In the specification proposal, F1 is set to keep the controversial 1.6-litre V6 turbo power units currently in use, but will move to make engines simpler and louder. Key changes will see the complex MGU-H -- which recovers heat energy from the turbo -- removed in favour of a more powerful MGU-K.

In a bid to improve and increase the sound generated by the engines, the 2021 rev limit will be raised by 3,000rpm to 18,000rpm. Drivers will also be handed greater control over ERS deployment, allowing them to choose when to use the energy harvested by the power units.
Presented engine vision for 2021 in full:

• 1.6 Litre, V6 Turbo Hybrid

• 3000rpm higher engine running speed range to improve the sound

• Prescriptive internal design parameters to restrict development costs and discourage extreme designs and running conditions

• Removal of the MGUH

• More powerful MGUK with focus on manual driver deployment in race together with option to save up energy over several laps to give a driver controlled tactical element to racing

• Single turbo with dimensional constraints and weight limits

• Standard energy store and control electronics

• High Level of external prescriptive design to give 'Plug-And-Play' engine/chassis/transmission swap capability

• Intention to investigate tighter fuel regulations and limits on number of fuels used
Louder and cheaper Formula One power units are at the forefront of the plans for 2021. Sutton Images

F1 sporting boss Ross Brawn said: "The 2021 power unit is an example of the future way the FIA as regulators, F1 as commercial right holders, the teams and the manufacturers as stakeholders will work together for the common good of the sport.

"The proposal presented today was the outcome of a series of meeting which took place during 2017 with the current teams participating in the FIA Formula One World Championship and the manufacturers who showed their interest to be part of the pinnacle of motor sport.

"Also, we've carefully listened to what the fans think about the current PU and what they would like to see in the near future with the objective to define a set of regulations which will provide a powertrain that is simpler, cheaper and noisier and will create the conditions to facilitate new manufacturers to enter Formula One as powertrain suppliers and to reach a more levelled field in the sport," he added.

"The new F1 has the target to be the world's leading global sports competition married to state of the art technology. To excite, engage, and awe fans of all ages but to do so in a sustainable manner. We believe that the future power unit will achieve this."

An FIA statement concluded that "during the remaining part of 2017 and 2018, the FIA and F1 will also work with the teams to establish power unit test and development restrictions as well as other cost containment measures."

Not to say this is what we're gonna get, but it's a starting point for negotiations among the various interest groups to hammer out a proposal that gets voted on.
What say you? Like? Dislike?
By myownalias
I don't think it goes far enough, I would like to see hybrid technology removed completely, ever since we've had these hybrid power units, we see penalty after penalty for gearbox and engine component changes. But I guess it's a starting point, I'm not that keen on the "push to pass" type energy store, we already have that bulls**t with DRS!
By darwin dali
I don't think it goes far enough, I would like to see hybrid technology removed completely, ever since we've had these hybrid power units, we see penalty after penalty for gearbox and engine component changes. But I guess it's a starting point, I'm not that keen on the "push to pass" type energy store, we already have that bulls**t with DRS!

We used to have turbos before and they failed all the time - there were no grid penalties issued. So it would be an easy thing to disassociate turbos/hybrids from the punitive measures.
I kinda like the idea of giving the drivers control over their stored extra energy: it opens the race up to a strategic slugfest with more overtakes depending on judicious use of that stored power. I could also imagine that the stewards could use that feature to hand out minor penalties. Like e.g., a driver leaves the track (all 4 over the white line) repeatedly and the stewards would take away the ability to use the stored energy for 3 laps, thereby handicapping the driver, but allowing him to overcome the handicap with driving skill.
By gdh
I just hope that Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault, Honda and any other potential engine supplier all achieve equal power output and reliability. I'd rather see the drivers be a much more determining factor than the power unit.
By myownalias
We used to have turbos before and they failed all the time - there were no grid penalties issued. So it would be an easy thing to disassociate turbos/hybrids from the punitive measures.

Yes, we had turbos in the 80s and 90s and yes, they failed, so did NA engines, that was a different time, engines blew because the envelope was constantly being pushed and there was no limit on engines or penalties imposed.

I kinda like the idea of giving the drivers control over their stored extra energy: it opens the race up to a strategic slugfest with more overtakes depending on judicious use of that stored power.

We had this before the V6 hybrid turbo era with the last iteration of KERS and it resulted in a stalemate, drivers used it to attack and defend at the same times, nullifying any advantage.

I could also imagine that the stewards could use that feature to hand out minor penalties. Like e.g., a driver leaves the track (all 4 over the white line) repeatedly and the stewards would take away the ability to use the stored energy for 3 laps, thereby handicapping the driver, but allowing him to overcome the handicap with driving skill.

This, I like, although it is a little video game like.

See our F1 related articles too!