FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Hi everyone.

I'm new here so a big HELLO to you all. :)

Watching the F1 Malaysian GP practice sessions today and I'm sure you will all have noticed the strange contraption on the left side of Marcus Eriksson's Sauber. The commentators assumed that it was a camera but it's unlike any camera I've ever seen before on a F1 car. It looks similar in shape to a F3 car's air box.

Is it Sauber experimenting with a more aerodynamic camera or is it something else entirely?

Many thanks in advance. :)
I just saw Ted Kravitz talking to Charles Leclerc. Kravitz said to Leclerc "was it on the side of your car, that weird sort of sensor that looked like it was an F3 car?" Leclerc said "yeah exactly, that's it.... I can't say anymore".

So maybe it is a sensor ......or some sort of ultrasonic weapon they're going to use to try and mess up the electronics on their competitors cars. Who knows. :hehe:
Firstly, welcome everway9.

It could never be a camera as the camera mounts are a fixed FIA design, even back in the day, when not all cars had a camera, every car had to have the T-bar whether it had a camera installed or not to level the playing field. As far as I know, this has not changed, except everyone has a camera now.
I just saw Ted Kravitz talking to Charles Leclerc. Kravitz said to Leclerc "was it on the side of your car, that weird sort of sensor that looked like it was an F3 car?" Leclerc said "yeah exactly, that's it.... I can't say anymore".

So maybe it is a sensor ......or some sort of ultrasonic weapon they're going to use to try and mess up the electronics on their competitors cars. Who knows. :hehe:

Next year, once Sauber have perfected their torpedo system, all other teams will learn their rightful place in F1 and Marcus Ericsson will finally reign supreme. :yes:

See our F1 related articles too!