FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By Van Der Shaft
There's a lot of talk about who Williams will sign up to partner Stroll next season, mainly around Massa, Kubica, and di Resta. My personal opinion is that they're looking for someone with the ability to mentor Stroll and also be competitive but cheap.

Massa is a great guy, but considering his experience I imagine his price tag is pretty high, and at his age he's not likely to improve past his current abilities - though I do think he has at least two years left in him at his current level. He's starting to get an undeserved Barrichello - esque reputation of overstaying his welcome long after his abilities have diminished - but he would certainly be the safest option for next year in my opinion.

Kubica has performed well at his Renault tests and shows decent pace and car control despite his injury, but there is still a lot of doubt about his endurance over an entire season and whether that pace will still be there during an actual race. He's had many years out of the cockpit since leaving, so he'll probably have to learn quite a bit about the way the new cars handle around tracks and adapt his entire driving style around his injury. He would definitely be cheaper than Massa, and he'd also bring a lot more attention from both fans and sponsors to the team with a Lauda-esque return against the odds. If Williams are after more public exposure - then he's the one to go for.

Di Resta was a decent driver who never really got to show his full potential in his Force India days, but there's really no way to tell if he still has that potential with his single performance at the Hungarian Grand Prix. Keeping a car that you've never drove on the track for the better half of a race is impressive, but he'll need to do a few more practice runs before he could be judged fairly either way. He's still relatively young - the youngest out of the three by a year and his performance in the DTM championship is still strong, though nowhere near his glory days of 2010. Honestly I don't see Williams hiring him unless they want a very cheap driver who will also get them some notice from British fans. His sponsorship appears to be quite weak, too - so whilst he may be cheap as a driver, Williams may lose money through lost sponsors on the car.

Please discuss below who you think they should sign. I think we can all gladly agree that any one of these would be a better choice than Palmer :P
Nico Rosberg?

Rosberg would be a brilliant choice, but the price tag that comes with a former champion would be high, and I can't see him joining a team that is less competitive compared to his last one. If we're talking theoretically I always thought Nasr was wasted by Sauber - kid had potential and he brings in some cash, but I think they're looking for someone a bit more seasoned. Wehrlein is also being wasted at Sauber, and seeing as Bottas got his intended seat at Merc due to Rosberg's surprise retirement I think he's earned a seat at Williams - it would be better than seeing a young driver with potential wasted at Formula E so early in his career.
By darwin dali
I don't think money would be the issue for NR. He's a former Williams driver and if he feels the itch, he'd probably drive for the fun of it. And a not so competitive car like Williams would provide a nice cover for his being potentially uncompetitive. And for Williams, having a former World Champion in the team could mean big sponsor bucks (which could be part of a contract with NR such as a percentage of new incoming sponsor money).
I don't think money would be the issue for NR. He's a former Williams driver and if he feels the itch, he'd probably drive for the fun of it. And a not so competitive car like Williams would provide a nice cover for his being potentially uncompetitive. And for Williams, having a former World Champion in the team could mean big sponsor bucks (which could be part of a contract with NR such as a percentage of new incoming sponsor money).

That's actually a very good point. I forgot Rosberg started at Williams :P He seemed so burned out at the end of 2016, but I reckon those seasons with Hamilton as a team mate could leave Stroll a gibbering mess if Rosberg decides to play the mental game with him :hehe:

It would certainly be nice to see him back on the grid as he was always trying so hard to get the best of Hamilton that he seemed to stop enjoying the actual racing. I always liked Schumacher after his return because he was just in it for the fun and had nothing to prove - maybe Nico could see things the same way - after all he was his team mate at the time.
For me it's Paul Di Resta.

Di Resta has something to prove in F1 and will have the fire in his belly.
I don't agree that it will chase off sponsors in fact with Di Resta work at SKYSPORTS and the British thing will help him.

I rate Di Resta and given the chance under a Paddy Lowe designed car at Williams and he might surprise the people that don't rate him.

If we had a forum back in 1984 would we not be saying the same-thing about Nigel Mansell possible move to Williams and all the stuff that was said about Nigel at that time?

Just for the record I am Scottish.
For me it's Paul Di Resta.

Di Resta has something to prove in F1 and will have the fire in his belly.
I don't agree that it will chase off sponsors in fact with Di Resta work at SKYSPORTS and the British thing will help him.

I rate Di Resta and given the chance under a Paddy Lowe designed car at Williams and he might surprise the people that don't rate him.

If we had a forum back in 1984 would we not be saying the same-thing about Nigel Mansell possible move to Williams and all the stuff that was said about Nigel at that time?

Just for the record I am Scottish.

I simply don't rate him because there's so little data to go on other than stuff from years ago when the cars were very different and he was in a midfield team and a single outing in a modern car that he had no experience of driving. Unlike Kubica, who's had a few tests in the up-to-date machinery and set benchmarks against other drivers. He needs much more time in the car before I can judge him either way like I said.

If we had a forum in 1984 I wouldn't have been here to start this thread. I would be -5 years old :hehe:
I was 15 at the time when Mansell went to Williams from Lotus and it's down to him I started following F1 and supporting Williams.

Kubica has not raced competitively for 7 years while Di Resta has raced with Force India - DTM and he has been the Williams reserve driver for 2 years and knows the team inside out and how it works. It's the Scotsman for me. :)

Kubica is a big risk after all that time out and also his fitness is a question.

I would have loved for Jenson Button to make a comeback at Williams though.
I was 15 at the time when Mansell went to Williams from Lotus and it's down to him I started following F1 and supporting Williams.

Kubica has not raced competitively for 7 years while Di Resta has raced with Force India - DTM and he has been the Williams reserve driver for 2 years and knows the team inside out and how it works. It's the Scotsman for me. :)

Kubica is a big risk after all that time out and also his fitness is a question.

I would have loved for Jenson Button to make a comeback at Williams though.

I would have liked to see Jenson back at Williams too, but the poor guy was totally burned out after his clash with Wehrlein at Monaco and getting dragged through the dirt along with the rest of the McLaren team for the last few years. I wish it was still feasible for drivers to start their own teams after retirement, it would be cool to still see his face around the paddock from time to time and see how he would go about managing a team.
By sagi58
...Just for the record I am Scottish.

Image!! and...

p.s. for the record, I am Canadian!! Image:thumbup:
By darwin dali

Isn't that pretty much the same as Scottish draped in a red fig leaf, maple leaf or whatever? :twisted:
By sagi58

Isn't that pretty much the same as Scottish draped in a red fig leaf, maple leaf or whatever? :twisted:

Not like it's my fault the American flag consists of Stars and Stripes! :P

See our F1 related articles too!