FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By overboost
Halo set for 2018 introduction after Strategy Group meeting

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/stra ... on-932802/

Formula 1 is set to introduce the Halo cockpit protection device for 2018 after the FIA pushed it through on safety grounds at Wednesday’s Strategy Group meeting.

The Halo and Shield have emerged as the two options for cockpit protection, with the FIA insistent some form of device will be introduced next season.

While the Halo has undergone extensive testing, with all the teams running the device at least once, Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel tested the Shield for the first time in British Grand Prix practice last Friday.

The German however cut short his run as he felt "dizzy" using it, while Haas driver Romain Grosjean commented he felt it was "as bad as" the Halo he tried in 2016.

When the matter was discussed at the meeting in Geneva, it is believed the Shield was put on the backburner for now as it was felt significant further investigation was required.

Sources say nine out of 10 teams voted against the Halo, but the FIA said it would become part of the regulations for 2018 on safety grounds, albeit with "certain features of its design" being "further enhanced".

It still requires final ratification by the World Motor Sport Council but this can be completed by e-vote if necessary.

Only six of the 10 teams on the grid - Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull, Williams, McLaren and Force India - have previously been part of the meetings along with the commercial rights holder and the FIA.

But at the last meeting, F1 sporting boss Ross Brawn presented the concept of inviting teams not officially part of the group to attend as observers - and this is believed to have been the case on Wednesday.

Those not officially part of the group did not take part in the discussion, but were occasionally asked for their viewpoints on various subjects.
By overboost

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports ... want-halo/

Apparently 9 of the 10 teams opposed the Merc designed halo at the strategy meeting with only Ferrari rumoured in support.

Safety comes first apparently.
By myownalias
It's funny how Mercedes, who designed the 'halo' doesn't even want to run it. I said elsewhere that it really is unnecessary as these type of incidents, such as Massa is 2009 and Bianchi, R.I.P in 2015 are rare and the halo would still allow objects to hit the driver.
By Big Azza
I support the halo.

Of course I think Vettel (who else? :P ) put it perfectly after the Wilson Accident. It looks ugly, it doesn't follow tradition, but at some point we need to abandon traditions to move forward. Also interesting Massa's opinion on the initial concept of the halo here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBLxJQRzWGc&t=6s

And last year a telegraph poll seems to indicate that over 60% of people supported it. I could get used to it. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/2016/03/04/sebastian-vettel-it-does-not-matter-how-ugly-the-halo-device-is/

I hated it at first. And unfortunately my research led me to watch the 2 videos of Justin Wilson and Henry Surtees. After watching them again, unnecessary deaths - I'm all for it.

Here is an interesting comparison of halo vs shield:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11fpGZLjjds
The halo looks and almost "feels" better there. The driver still has the open cockpit feeling. It seems to me that the halo only obstructs about 5% of a driver's view directly in front of them. They would soon ignore the column altogether, just like how they ignore any antennae on the hood of the car. We all eventually find that we look past a crack or bird poo on our windscreen.

I think, in a few years time, we'll all be used to the halo. Hopefully further research would've gone into it to make it look even more aesthetically pleasing.

I would also like to say that, in my research, no expert has suggested that Bianchi's life would have been saved by this device. But certainly Surtees and Wilson would have.

After Senna's and Ratzenberger's deaths, Formula One cars changed a lot, when they increased the sides of the cockpits. I'm sure there were a lot of complaints back then as well. Also, the HANS Device. We get used to these safety innovations and accept them after a while.

However, I certainly respect and understand the "purists" who have a different viewpoint...

EDIT: Can someone pleeeeaaaase help me with the YouTube links? It's been a few years since I posted them. :P
By Stephen
I don't understand this. You're blocking the view ahead in the name of safety? And what safety? It wouldn't have saved Massa from his injuries and the head is still very much exposed (remember poor Henry Surtees?).

I'd rather see some sort of automatic pneumatic ramming device placed on top of the nose with radar-like debris detection - and I'm not even joking! :hehe: Two curved bars sticking out of the engine cover just above both headrests with a small reinforced screen would be my recommendation. Unless we finally go the whole hog:

By Big Azza
I don't understand this. You're blocking the view ahead in the name of safety? And what safety? It wouldn't have saved Massa from his injuries and the head is still very much exposed (remember poor Henry Surtees?).

I'd rather see some sort of automatic pneumatic ramming device placed on top of the nose with radar-like debris detection - and I'm not even joking! :hehe: Two curved bars sticking out of the engine cover just above both headrests with a small reinforced screen would be my recommendation. Unless we finally go the whole hog:

The "whole hog" has another advantage: It will stop Vettel waving his "hand of rage" at drivers who annoy him. :P:whip:
By sagi58
...Here is an interesting comparison of halo vs shield:

https://youtu.be/11fpGZLjjds

The halo looks and almost "feels" better there. The driver still has the open cockpit feeling. It seems to me that the halo only obstructs about 5% of a driver's view directly in front of them....

Thanks for presenting all that info, in one post, as it really brought home to me, just what all the "fuss" is about!
Not that I'm an expert; but, I do agree that nothing should stand in the way of drivers' safety. Especially NOT aesthetics!!
Considering we seem to have the technology, having one more injury is literally irresponsible and immoral, let alone losing another life.

p.s. wish I could help with the youtube posting; but, I can't get it right, anymore, either!
Last edited by sagi58 on 22 Jul 17, 21:02, edited 2 times in total.
By darwin dali
Copy what's after the = sign in your Youtube url, then select Youtube (under BBCodes) and paste it between the tags.
By myownalias
Back on topic, it's not the aesthetic that bothers me, it's the design, the cockpit is still mostly open and limits visibility and the hypocrisy, see below.

By overboost

This Jordan wing was also banned for safety reasons. Blocked the view forward.
By rob91

You don't know what the driver's view is from the cockpit with (or without) the halo because you have never driven an F1 car in your life, you don't know if the halo would have prevented Massa from getting hurt back in 2009 because you have no way of proving what effect it would have had on the debris that hit him, and the halo would have saved Henry Surtees from being killed because it would have stopped the wheel from hitting his head, after all that is the point of it. So you are right that you don't understand it, in fact you don't have a fecking clue, that much is clear.

See our F1 related articles too!