FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By overboost

Pirelli says Vettel, Raikkonen problems totally different

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pire ... ne-931677/

Pirelli says initial analysis of Ferrari's tyres after the British Grand Prix showed that Kimi Raikkonen and Sebastian Vettel's failures were caused by totally different issues.

Ferrari suffered a double blow in the closing stages of the Silverstone race when both Raikkonen and Vettel were forced to pit with tyre problems.

Raikkonen's tyre tread appeared to come apart on lap 49, while Vettel suffered a total failure one lap later. The incidents meant Raikkonen dropped to third, while Vettel slipped to seventh.

Pirelli has begun an immediate investigation into what happened, but a spokesman said its first examination of the rubber suggests that the two incidents were not caused by the same problem.

Raikkonen's issue was caused by the tread of his tyre coming away, with the tyre not actually losing any air as he returned to the pits.

Vettel, on the other hand, suffered a puncture. Pirelli is examining whether a lock-up that Vettel had a few laps beforehand, as he battled Valtteri Bottas, could have contributed to the problem.

Ferrari admitted it had been caught by surprise over the problems, although it was clear both its driver were pushing hard at the end while race leader Lewis Hamilton was able to back off in the closing stages to manage a small blister he had suffered.

Vettel said: "Hindsight is great, with hindsight it is easy, but at the time it felt okay. Kimi I think had a similar issues, and his tyres were at least five or six laps fresher. So I think it caught us both by surprise.

"I think it could have been a little bit better for sure, but disaster I don't think so. I think we had a good car, especially in the corners. The balance was alright."
By overboost
The Finns are careful not to waste a drop!

Finns are very punctual as well, and patient while Lewis gets in a few more selfies

Last edited by overboost on 16 Jul 17, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
By overboost
Please why is this muppet Kvyat still in F1? And they are going to renew his contract!!!?? :banghead:

With Sainz maybe parting ways with Red Bull they might actually be relying on Kvyat!
By sagi58
Pirelli says Vettel, Raikkonen problems totally different

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pire ... ne-931677/

Pirelli says initial analysis of Ferrari's tyres after the British Grand Prix showed that Kimi Raikkonen and Sebastian Vettel's failures were caused by totally different issues...

Net effect is the same... Mercedes took home a lot of points.
So... this isn't an issue that Pirelli needs to spend a lot of time on.

((p.s. I sound upset, because I am... finally Ferrari have been fighting at the front,
only to have all sorts of "strange" circumstances occur that are all advantageous to
""other"" teams/drivers...))
By andrew
Nice to see a respectful and sporting crowd.

Oh wait, what am I saying? It's the British GP. That's never going to have a respectful and sporting crowd, especially when there's a German going up against a Brit.

Booing and jeering regardless of who it is aimed at is utterly pathetic and childish. Watch the same people moan like all hell if a single boo is aimed at Sir Saint Lewis of Hamilton (aka, Jesus, God. What am I saying? He can't be God, that's Lemmy ***goes of to play lots of Motorhead to appease the great one***)!

I won't bother watching the race. I never do, it seems silly to break the habit of a lifetime. I'll wait until the small You Tube channel I watch does their 10 minute recap. I find Silverstone to be on of the worst pieces of crap to be called a race track, ever. Hopefully it is replaced with something a lot better.

One thing I want to know. When are Renault going to realise that Palmer is as much use as a third armpit? Ok, brakes probably weren't his fault so for once he will be correct in blaming someone else.

I'm going to say sabotage for the Ferrari tyre failures. Just putting it out there, something to consider. Nah, it was just an unfortunate coincidence either that or something to do with the car (what it could be is anyone's guess).
By andrew
Please why is this muppet Kvyat still in F1? And they are going to renew his contract!!!?? :banghead:

Russian backers bring loads of $$$$$$$. Anyways, he's just keeping the seat warm, a place-holder if you will. Renault's intended driver has to sort out his other commitments first......

By myownalias
The British Grand Prix was another Mercedes walk-in-the-park, even without the Ferrari tire failures, Bottas would have still finished second. The most exciting parts for me was the battles between Verstappen and Vettel, of course, Vettel started whining again about Verstappen's driving, I don't see what Verstappen did wrong, do you?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vett ... es-931751/

Regardless of my feelings about Hamilton as a person, you cannot deny his ability, five British Grand Prix victories.
By Big Azza
Yep Hamilton had a good race.

My initial reaction was that Verstappen overtook Vettel off the track, which would be illegal (even though Vettel forced him off). I was surprised it wasn't looked at more closely.

But by forcing Verstappen off the track (fairly), Vettel received his just desserts when Verstappen did the same thing a couple of corners later. It was good to watch.

I'm bitterly disappointed about the results for Ferrari. And angry about what happened with STR.

Driver of the day has to be Ricciardo for me.
By myownalias
By forcing Verstappen off, Vettel himself completely went over the white lines that define the track, so even if the overtake was off track, both drivers were out of bounds.

See our F1 related articles too!