FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By overboost

By overboost
By overboost
http://www.grandprix247.com/2017/07/14/ ... d-penalty/

BOTTAS SETBACK AS GEARBOX CHANGE MEANS GRID PENALTY

After topping both practice sessions on the opening day of the British Grand Prix weekend, Valtteri Bottas has received a blow to his chances of winning the race when Mercedes revealed that the Finn would collect a five-place grid penalty for a gearbox change.

This has boosted Lewis Hamilton’s chances of starting from the top spot on the grid at his home British Grand Prix, a victory would revitalise his title challenge which has faltered since he last won in Canada.

Hamilton, who is 20 points behind Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel after nine of 20 races, had a similar problem at the previous round in Austria which Bottas won after qualifying on pole.

“His gearbox was damaged in the same way as Lewis’s but less severely, and we had hoped to coax it to the end of the cycle,” said a Mercedes spokesman. “However, we have not been able to do so. The cause of the damage is understood and now behind us, just as for Lewis’s problem.”

Bottas has taken two poles this season and had been fastest in both Friday’s practice sessions, with Hamilton a close second.

The Briton has won for the past three years at Silverstone and is chasing his fifth victory in total at the circuit. Another pole position would leave the triple F1 World Champion one short of Michael Schumacher all-time record of 68.
By overboost

By sagi58
http://www.grandprix247.com/2017/07/14/bottas-setback-as-gearbox-change-means-grid-penalty/

BOTTAS SETBACK AS GEARBOX CHANGE MEANS GRID PENALTY...[/i]

Legit... or placating??
By overboost
Well it is the third time a Hamilton teammate has had a gearbox change and penalty at Silverstone!
By overboost
Here is a video of Hamilton blocking incident with Grosjean in Q3:

https://streamable.com/anz6j

Lewis was fortunate to have gotten away with this one.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... itle-fight

Grosjean: Hamilton let off by stewards because of title fight

Romain Grosjean believes British Grand Prix stewards held back from penalising Lewis Hamilton for qualifying blocking because he is in a Formula 1 championship fight.

Hamilton was investigated by the officials after claiming Silverstone pole position as Haas driver Grosjean claimed he had been held up by the Mercedes early in Q3.

Although the stewards acknowledged that Grosjean "may potentially have been affected by the presence" of Hamilton, they concluded "he was not impeded" and allowed the qualifying result to stand.

"Surprised by the wording: 'the driver behind has not been impeded'," said Grosjean.

"If losing 0.35-0.4 seconds in one corner is not being impeded, I am very surprised.

"I think it opens room for messy qualifying and the rules are pretty clear.

"And I know there is a world title going on at the front but we are in a position where we actually fight as hard as the boys at the front and I was impeded today.

"How can I put it? Maybe if it was another driver there would have been something.

"It does feel sometimes that there are two types of decision."
By overboost
By myownalias
It's was a clear political decision, just like no further action being taken against Vettel. There seem to be two distinct rule-books being used here, the one for the top 2 or 3 teams and the one for the rest of the grid. Hamilton clearly impeded Grosjean, yet zero action was taken, not even a warning, if the roles were reversed, you can guarantee that Grosjean would be punished.

As for Toto Wolff, he needs to shut the f**k up; his drivers have made more than a few questionable decisions on track over the years.
By sagi58
It's was a clear political decision, just like no further action being taken against Vettel...

...Hamilton clearly impeded Grosjean, yet zero action was taken, not even a warning, if the roles were reversed, you can guarantee that Grosjean would be punished...

Let's not forget that Vettel WAS penalized... he did NOT get off scott free...
Sure, no ""further"" action was taken; but, he DID serve his penalty.
You can guarantee had this Vettel, he would have been punished!!

UNLIKE Hamilton, who did NOT get a penalty/warning/talking to.
By sagi58
So, because the Stewards decided NOT to penalize Hamilton as he was in the title fight, their decision has actual given him an unfair advantage by ARTIFICIALLY closing down the gap to Vettel! :bs:

I'm sure all the Hamilton fans won't have a problem with that! Had this been Vettel in his red, they would have been seeing red and looking for blood, which is also red!
By overboost

See our F1 related articles too!