FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.

Which driver was the shining Star of Spielberg?

Bottas
33%
Vettel
17%
Ricciardo
33%
Hamilton
No votes
0%
Raikkonen
No votes
0%
Grosjean
17%
Perez
No votes
0%
Ocon
No votes
0%
Massa
No votes
0%
Stroll
No votes
0%
Vote for the star performer of the race from the list provided!

Please feel free to explain your choice. :thumbup:
Much as I'd like to give this to Vettel, he would have needed to pass Bottas for me to do that!

Went with Bottas...after the jump start* didn't put a foot wrong all day, got that blistering start, kept out in front pretty much the whole race!!
And, he just made this race even more interesting...

though I'm still cheering for Kimi, even I know that's not gonna be!! :crying:

after the jump start*
https://youtu.be/eYzquTHpa-Q
Last edited by sagi58 on 09 Jul 17, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
They showed the red lights and his right wheel in a composite and that wheel started moving forward BEFORE the red lights went off, so it was a jump start. It could be that he didn't break the beam with the wheel before the red lights went out and that's why he got no penalty, but he moved before the lights went off, which clearly says he didn't react to the lights going off, but rather speculated that they would go off - which is a jump start.
I'm going to go for Ricciardo, the move on Kimi on lap 1 and the robust defense of his third place near the end. Bottas drove brilliantly, but he is in the fastest car and started from the front, I feel he did what was required of him and nothing more. And looking at that slo-mo YouTube video of the Bottas start, he got very, very, very lucky.
They're talking about a tolerance bubble where drivers can make adjustments to their clutches - that's when his wheel started to move.

Tolerance bubble? Oh, google...

Jonathan Noble wrote:">Bottas escaped jump start penalty thanks to FIA tolerances
...Although the Austrian GP race stewards investigated the matter, they ruled in the end that Bottas had not made a false start.

However, that did not stop there being some confusion about why they had reached that conclusion, with television footage widely circulated on social media indicating that Bottas' front wheels were moving while the lights were on.

The FIA has explained, however, that some movement before the lights go out is allowed because of the need occasionally for drivers to make adjustments to their clutch in those crucial moments before the start.

So, basically, a jump start is ok, as long as it's not too obvious. :irked:
They're talking about a tolerance bubble where drivers can make adjustments to their clutches - that's when his wheel started to move.

Tolerance bubble? Oh, google...

Jonathan Noble wrote:">Bottas escaped jump start penalty thanks to FIA tolerances
...Although the Austrian GP race stewards investigated the matter, they ruled in the end that Bottas had not made a false start.

However, that did not stop there being some confusion about why they had reached that conclusion, with television footage widely circulated on social media indicating that Bottas' front wheels were moving while the lights were on.

The FIA has explained, however, that some movement before the lights go out is allowed because of the need occasionally for drivers to make adjustments to their clutch in those crucial moments before the start.

So, basically, a jump start is ok, as long as it's not too obvious. :irked:

Nah, it WAS quite obvious.
Well did he make adjustment to his clutch in those last crucial moments or not? Certainly telemetry and recorded data would show this.

If he didn't then there is absolutely no reason for his car to be on its way before the red lights went out if FIA logic is to be followed.
There has always been a small amount of tolerance to account for a driver slightly missing his mark. I assume the same tolerance would apply for a miniscule amount of movement.

Ultimately, would it have changed the outcome of the race? Probably not.
There has always been a small amount of tolerance to account for a driver slightly missing his mark. I assume the same tolerance would apply for a miniscule amount of movement.

Ultimately, would it have changed the outcome of the race? Probably not.

A penalty would have...

See our F1 related articles too!