FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
And the winner is Daniel Ricciardo with race time of 2:03:55.570

Wait a sec, over 2 hours with lap times around the 1:45 mark ??? The 2 hour race limit is still in the rule book, so the race should have been stopped 2 or 3 laps earlier meaning Lance Stroll should have been second not third as Bottas didn't catch him by then.

What am I missing here? Clearly I am missing something otherwise Williams would have been objecting straight away.
Good eye!

Yes there is a 2 hour limit so Stroll missed out on a P2 by the race going overtime.
I think maybe Williams will take this one to Paris and they didn't want some nobody like me making the waves on their own FB account to preempt their intentions. Knowledge is power and there's me trying to share a knowledge that would reduce their power. who needs someone going around yelling the cards in their poker hand lol
The race was suspended but the clock keeps ticking, it has happened before in Brazil last year for example. I have found the relevant articles from the sporting regulations, they are shown below.

5.3 b) Should the race be suspended (see Article 41) the length of the suspension will be added to this period up to a maximum total race time of four hours.

41.4 a) Whilst the race is suspended neither the race nor the timekeeping system will stop, however, in accordance with Article 5.3 the length of the race suspension will be added to the maximum two hour period.
Nobody bother to check the rules around here?

Article 41.4a of the sporting regs might help clear things up a bit before suggesting FIA inconsistency/favoritism on the matter

Stonemonkey is correct, the rule is below...
41.4 Whilst the race is suspended:
a) Neither the race nor the timekeeping system will stop, however, in accordance with Article 5.3 the length of the race suspension will be added to the maximum two hour period.

I stand corrected, however, I stand by my statement of inconsistencies in stewardship at F1 races, the same crime does not always elicit the same punishment.

See our F1 related articles too!