FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
"Unprecedented level of interest"

I find this to be amazing. This is one guy doing some rookie practice on a privately arranged test day and they have Mario Andretti and Johnny Rutherford doing running commentary! This youtube video below in just over 2 days has over 1,425,000 views. Two million views + between Indy's youtube and facebook live streams on Wednesday alone.

Nando is truly the international superstar racer and a big homerun for Indy.

Ironically, if this was F1 even the whiff of a fan video would have been removed from youtube in less than 5 minutes!

[youtube]UXh9uxthFnk[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXh9uxthFnk

Live coverage on the internet of Fernando Alonso’s first IndyCar test attracted more than 2 million views on Wednesday, as interest in the Spaniard’s progress captured the attention of fans.

Although the Spaniard’s first experience at Indianapolis was a private test arranged by McLaren-Honda-Andretti, the circuit pulled out all the stops with a proper broadcast of the event involving a studio, in-depth interviews and fly-on-the-wall access.

The test was broadcast live on digital platforms YouTube and Facebook, and generated an unprecedented level of interest.

Reaching peaks of more than 70,000 concurrent viewers at times, the official figures recorded by YouTube and Facebook showed a combined overall viewership of 2,149,000 views.

This was split up between 950,000 views on IndyCar’s official Facebook channel and 1.2 million viewers on the official IndyCar channel on YouTube.

It was also was one of YouTube's top 10 trending videos of the day.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news ... ts-901674/
Has anyone been following his progress this week? I've never seen anyone so committed in motorsport - have a look at the Indycar YouTube channel from 5pm GMT tomorrow for the 4th day of testing.

I just hope his Honda engine doesn't let him down...can you imagine! :rofl:
Fernando Alonso: McLaren driver fourth fastest in Indy 500 practice

Fernando Alonso was fourth fastest in practice for the Indianapolis 500 as strong winds limited the number of laps done by drivers.

Alonso's best lap of 219.533mph was well down on the fastest of 222.894mph set by Ed Carpenter, but only 14 drivers of the 33-car field posted representative times.

"It was tricky, definitely," the two-time Formula 1 champion said.

"The conditions didn't help, but for me any condition is still a good lesson."

Strong winds can be a major hazard on an exposed superspeedway track, where average lap speeds are so high, as they significantly affect the car's stability in corners.

Alonso said: "Everything went according to plan. The team used those runs also to test something in the background on engine tuning, so it was a productive day."

The 35-year-old Spaniard is competing at Indy - and on an 'oval' track for the first time in his career - at the expense of the Monaco Grand Prix, as he bids to secure the next leg of the so-called 'triple crown'.

Only Graham Hill has so far managed to win Monaco, Indy and the Le Mans 24 Hours sportscar race.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/39959761
Results of the fast 9 Indy Qualification oday. Rookie Fernando Alonso qualified in 5 place of a 35 car field. Not too bad although he was beaten by teammate Sato by 0.065 mph. Note that Alonso was faster than last years pole position.

Bourdais had a terrible crash in qually, broken hips and multiple pelvis fractures. They were running the car with extra low downforce.

[youtube]E-UxZJpiDUM[/youtube]
I may have to eat my own words...
I can't see him winning, regardless of his commitment or of the car he's driving!
It's got to be a pretty steep learning curve... IF he does win, what does that say
about the other drivers on that grid??
I can't see him winning, regardless of his commitment or of the car he's driving!
It's got to be a pretty steep learning curve... IF he does win, what does that say

If Alexander Rossi can pull off a rookie win last year, why not FA as well?
Lewis Hamilton - such a classless act! I would say he is a more than a bit miffed at the 'Alonsomania' happening right now in his beloved America.

Lewis Hamilton blasts level of Indy 500 after seeing Fernando Alonso qualify fifth on his debut

Lewis Hamilton has questioned the talent of the drivers competing in the Indianapolis 500 after seeing Fernando Alonso immediately run near the front on his debut.

The two-time F1 champion qualified in fifth ahead of Sunday's race at the world famous Indianapolis Motor Speedway but Hamilton scoffed at the level of the Spaniard's competition.

'I took a look at the qualifying results,' he chuckled in an interview with L'Equipe.

'Fernando, in his first qualifying, came fifth. Does that say something about [the level] of IndyCar? Great drivers, if they can't succeed in Formula One, look for titles in other races, but to see him come fifth against drivers who do this all year round is... interesting.'

Alonso is hoping to complete a career triple crown in his racing career, a combination of winning the Monaco Grand Prix, the Indy 500 and Le Mans.

It's a feat that has only been achieved by Graham Hill but Hamilton admits he has no interest in matching his British compatriot's efforts.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formul ... y-500.html

If Alexander Rossi can pull off a rookie win last year, why not FA as well?

True enough... never say never, eh?? :thumbup:
Lewis Hamilton has questioned the talent of the drivers competing in the Indianapolis 500 after seeing Fernando Alonso immediately run near the front on his debut...

Ouch... why would anyone put down colleagues/peers in such a fashion?
I guess he figures he's not ever going to race in this series??
I wonder how fans will react when he shows up in Austin this year??
Lewis Hamilton has questioned the talent of the drivers competing in the Indianapolis 500 after seeing Fernando Alonso immediately run near the front on his debut...

Ouch... why would anyone put down colleagues/peers in such a fashion?
I guess he figures he's not ever going to race in this series??

If the standard of Indycar drivers is so low, why doesn't Lewis go and prove he is the best driver in the world and win it on his first attempt.

Heaven forbid that Lewis give Fernando praise for qualifying fifth, Fernando could just be that good!

See our F1 related articles too!