38%
9 Could be the best race of the season
No votes
0%
10 One for the Ages!
No votes
0%
By overboost
How was the race in dampish and gloomy Shanghai?

Australia was rated 5.0
I gave it a seven, plenty of competition throughout the field with the exception of the battle for the lead, which was a case of normal service resumed.
By sagi58
Went with a 7, also; however, I disagree (hopefully) that it's business as usual at the front.
There was the "little" influence of the Virtual Safety Car,
which I (hopefully) believe denied us a real battle up there!
Went with a 7, also; however, I disagree (hopefully) that it's business as usual at the front.

I don't think that the Virtual Safety Car and Safety Car changed the end result of the race, Mercedes clearly had performance in hand over Ferrari, Vettel pumped in the fastest lap, which woke up Hamilton and he broke that lap record the very next lap, I believe Hamilton was cruising much like he did in 2016.

I don't think that the Virtual Safety Car and Safety Car changed the end result of the race, Mercedes clearly had performance in hand over Ferrari, Vettel pumped in the fastest lap, which woke up Hamilton and he broke that lap record the very next lap, I believe Hamilton was cruising much like he did in 2016.

TBD down the road.

TBD down the road.

Of course, but I am not hopeful, Sepang is more of a traditional track, Australia is somewhat of an anomaly in F1, however, I would love to be proven wrong!
You mean Shanghai, right? Sepang will be Oct. 1st.

Yes, well, both start with an S... it's been a long day! :zzz:
By sagi58
It was actually the real safety car two laps later that destroyed SV's gamble and race.

Semantics... they end up doing the same thing, no? :thumbup:
By sagi58

I don't know... and, of course, I sincerely hope not!
In fact, I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised...
I hope... Image
It was actually the real safety car two laps later that destroyed SV's gamble and race.

No.
During a Virtual SC, the cars are given a target time for each marshaling sector (usually around 30 in a circuit) and they need to stay above that time (slower) for each of that sector. In this way ideally all cars must run at same speed and same lap times and the gaps between the cars on track remains frozen.
Whereas in an actual safety car scenario, all the cars are stacked behind the safety car and the gap they had to the car in front and behind is erased.
By sagi58

No.
During a Virtual SC, the cars are given a target time for each marshaling sector (usually around 30 in a circuit) and they need to stay above that time (slower) for each of that sector. In this way ideally all cars must run at same speed and same lap times and the gaps between the cars on track remains frozen.
Whereas in an actual safety car scenario, all the cars are stacked behind the safety car and the gap they had to the car in front and behind is erased.

Thanks, for the clarification, DD!!

((p.s. the cars still aren't "really" racing, though, right? :confused: ))

See our F1 related articles too!