FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By pocco
what is this all about??!! back in the day weaving or defending your position was ok it meant that a driver in an inferior car could prevent a quicker car passing him.. classic example senna at monaco winning the race when red 5 clearly had the quicker car but was as they would term it now blocked by the car in front for 17 or so laps... if the car in front has earned the position why should he yield to the car behind just because in terms of outright performance he has the quicker car..?? i have been an avid fan of mansell forever and have met him in person and consider him to be a better driver than senna ever was and only by mechanical failures and misfortune did he not take more titles than the brazillian.. but i have never once heard him complain about coming second in that race or whining that senna should have let him through and if the roles had been reversed i am certain aaryton would have been of the same disposition...pardon the pun!
It's called Health & Safety F1, unfortunately for the spectacle, ever since the death of Senna in '94, motorsport has been cracking down on many aspects of the sport, which makes it much duller for everyone concerned. F1 has been severely sanitized these days, back in the day, drivers knew it was dangerous and could be their last day on Earth, this was just a fact of being a race driver. Today's F1 is a watered down imitation of F1 from the 80s and early 90s, but times change and safety concerns are paramount to F1 in the 2000's.
...Today's F1 is a watered down imitation of F1 from the 80s and early 90s, but times change and safety concerns are paramount to F1 in the 2000's.

We might even live to see the day when no one goes out on the race track!!
Instead, we can all log in and watch drivers as they virtually go around!!

See our F1 related articles too!