FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By overboost

By myownalias
So does anyone believe that Ferrari can mount a serious challenge for the Australia win? Or will there be another runaway Mercedes 1-2 or can another team spring a surprise?
By myownalias
I think that Mercedes were sandbagging big time in testing, I don't see Ferrari being that close on race day.
By overboost
Qualifying in China will be the best indicator I think as Aus is a unique track. Ferrari looked fast and were clearly holding back in testing however so was Merc and I am afraid that moa could be right.
By overboost
By rob91
I predict that Kimi Räikkönen will win because the Ferrari seems to be more competitive than it has been for several seasons and I believe that these new cars will suit him better than most. Also, it has been 4 years since he last won a Grand Prix so he is well overdue a victory.
By sagi58
So does anyone believe that Ferrari can mount a serious challenge for the Australia win??

You just reallllly want me to jinx the whole season, don'tcha?? Image

Image Well, I won't do it!! Image

((( I am sooo nervous...!! :blush: )))
By myownalias
Looking fwd to seeing how Lance and Bottas do.

Bottas has no excuses for not being on the podium regularly now, he is in the top car, what will be interesting is if he is allowed, or able to take the race to Hamilton. Bottas always had a lot of promise, but never truly had the car underneath him to prove he belongs in the big leads as much as it pains me to say it being a long time Williams fan.

I really don't know anything about Lance Stroll and to be honest, sadly Massa is not much of a benchmark these days, I think that Stroll needs to beat Massa to be considered a top driver.
By overboost
2017 Australian Grand Prix Weather

Posted on 23rd March 2017, 19:48Author Keith Collantine

Formula One may have to wait until race two of 2017 to discover just how much quicker its new cars are as rain is forecast on the first qualifying day of the new season.

However it remains to be seen whether Saturday’s expected precipitation will arrive in time for qualifying. Some forecasts predict it will arrive late in the day, other models indicate it may arrive early enough and be light enough not to affect proceedings.

What the forecasts do agree on is that the first race of the year should be dry. And, unlike last year, so should Friday practice. Rain affected both the morning and afternoon sessions in 2016.

Despite cloudy conditions across most of the next three days, temperatures should pass the 25C mark consistently. The race does not start as late in the evening as it used to, but low light will be a challenge for drivers in the latter stages of the grand prix.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/03/23/r ... ying-2017/
By overboost
Mercedes and Red Bull had to alter F1 suspension designs for 2017

Formula 1's suspension row is unlikely to escalate to a protest at the Australian Grand Prix, after Red Bull and Mercedes were asked to change elements of their 2017 designs.

The controversy over suspension systems blew up over the winter when Ferrari sought clarification from the FIA on the legality of concepts that were pre-loaded to cleverly help a car's aerodynamic performance.

While Ferrari's original letter was based around a theoretical idea it wanted to pursue, it was widely understood that its real motivation was to challenge clever designs that Mercedes and Red Bull had been running.

Following a final clarification from the FIA ahead of testing last month that made it clear suspension systems should not be designed to deliberately help aerodynamic performance, the governing body inspected the designs of all the teams during the pre-season running in Spain.

The FIA was clear that teams had to prove that their clever suspension systems were not designed to help the car's aerodynamics, and concepts that Mercedes and Red Bull had wanted to run did not fully comply and had to be changed.

FIA race director Charlie Whiting said in a media briefing on Thursday at the Australian Grand Prix: "You are not allowed to have a suspension system that affects the aero performance of the car in anything other than an incidental way.

"We wanted to see whether the suspension is generally suspension or if it is there predominantly for the aerodynamic performance of the car.

"That is the change. We have been focusing far more on that this year."

"If a suspension system behaves asymmetrically, then there is not a very justifiable reason for behaving like that - if a suspension system goes down at one speed and comes back at a different speed.

"If they are not able to convince us then they are not able to use it."

It is unclear how much of an impact the suspension decision will have on Red Bull and Mercedes, but it is known that Mercedes did not run its trick system at every race last year so it was not essential to its performance.

With Red Bull and Mercedes having been asked to make changes ahead of the weekend, Whiting said on Thursday he was hopeful the matter had been sorted.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... suspension
By sagi58
Mercedes and Red Bull had to alter F1 suspension designs for 2017

Formula 1's suspension row is unlikely to escalate to a protest at the Australian Grand Prix, after Red Bull and Mercedes were asked to change elements of their 2017 designs...

With Red Bull and Mercedes having been asked to make changes ahead of the weekend, Whiting said on Thursday he was hopeful the matter had been sorted.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... suspension

Does that mean that Whiting/FIA will occasionally check that this directive stays in place?
By overboost

By overboost

See our F1 related articles too!