FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
It would seem Mr. Ecclestone doesn't have much of a fan club:

Staff wrote:">Gary Hartstein blasts Bernie Ecclestone after interview

Former F1 doctor Gary Hartstein has launched a stinging attack on the sport’s ‘supremo’ Bernie Ecclestone.

The tirade on Twitter follows 85-year-old Ecclestone having declared to the Daily Mail newspaper that the sport is “the worst it has ever been”.

“I wouldn’t spend my money to take my family to watch a race. No way,” he declared.

Hartstein’s relationship with Ecclestone and also the FIA hit rock bottom after he was replaced as F1 doctor and became an outspoken critic.

“I know I’ll never get another pass but I don’t care,” the American declared on Monday.

Ecclestone thinks F1’s problems are caused by the rules and Mercedes’ dominance and the fact that many stakeholders are now reluctant to agree change.

Hartstein said: “Note to Bernie: Mercedes power unit has 47pc thermal efficiency. This is a stunning engineering achievement and should be common knowledge.

“Note to Bernie: the sport is loud and sexy and full of drama. It would however appear to be owned and run by petulant spoiled preadolescents.

“We want racing. Not yammering. Not fools cancelling German Italian and French GPs.

“Note to Bernie: you should be able to make next month’s rent. Stop duckling the blood from the sport and let it breathe. Listen to the fans.

“The sport is successful despite all of the stupidity/cupidity/narcissism/greed of the powers that be,” Hartstein added.

And, Mr. Lauda pipes in:

Staff wrote:">Lauda blasts Ecclestone for ‘destroying’ F1 with negative comments

F1 legend Niki Lauda has launched a blistering tirade on Bernie Ecclestone, saying that the F1 chief was ‘destroying’ the image of the auto-racing sport with his negative comments.

Ecclestone had earlier stated that F1 was in the worst phase it had ever been and insisted that he would not ‘spend money to take my family to watch a race’.

Lauda, a three-time world champion, questioned the F1 chief executive’s critical attitude towards the sport, the Mirror reported.

The comments come ahead of two crucial meetings on Tuesday in Geneva to decide on radical change for 2017 and with it the prospect of a spectacular car design.

Ecclestone has been a fierce and consistent critic of the current engine regulations, pointing out that the situation has given the top manufacturers but particularly Mercedes the ability to control the sport.

Meanwhile, the 2016 Formula One pre-season testing got off to a thunderous first test in Barcelona on Tuesday with honours split between reigning champion Lewis Hamilton and arch rival Sebastian Vettel. (ANI)

I believe that Bernie has been systematically destroying F1 for a decade through many different avenues, so these comments do not surprise me in the slightest, F1 needs new owners and/or new leadership to steer the sport into a direction that pushes F1 to the fore once again, in my view, F1 is sad shadow of it's former self.
You have to admit, he has a lot of experience to bring to the table.
Maybe he could be kept on as a consultant; but, without any power!
You have to admit, he has a lot of experience to bring to the table.
Maybe he could be kept on as a consultant; but, without any power!

That would never happen, I don't believe he will stay on without having a power stranglehold on the sport.
You're probably right, MOA!
It was just a thought!
My own mom is 81 and I still seek her opinion.
((NO, I don't always agree or cede to her! :wink: ))
His complete lack of understanding the modern age is running F1 into the ground!
The 85 year old expects Baku to see out its contract, despite concerns that Azerbaijan's economy has been adversely affected by a recent drop in the global price of oil.

"It has only got seven years...but they have an option. I think they've got more chance of doing seven years than I have of doing seven years."

Could it be true? No mo Bernie soon(ish)? :clap::twisted:

See our F1 related articles too!