FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
It shows how unfair the system is for teams who will never score points in a season, one good result due to other cars retiring will work out more than an average of higher finishes: e.g. Caternham V Marussia. It really should be done for average position.

By your logic: let's say Caterham always finishes around 11th or 12th, however, one race Marussia (who usually finishes 12th or 13th) gets a point for finishing 10th. So, should we still average those results? And if not, what's your reasoning? And if yes, then we might as well do it for everybody up to the pointy end of the grid...

Actually, I'd like all positions save last to be points scored. You are correct though, averaging positions would be inconsistent with a team who gets one point to automatically come on top.

it is almost as if someone has already done that and look at the bashing they got.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12024

Take heart Jabber, for there are those who still love you (i.e. me).

Signed,
Lewis,
with love x
It shows how unfair the system is for teams who will never score points in a season, one good result due to other cars retiring will work out more than an average of higher finishes: e.g. Caternham V Marussia. It really should be done for average position.

By your logic: let's say Caterham always finishes around 11th or 12th, however, one race Marussia (who usually finishes 12th or 13th) gets a point for finishing 10th. So, should we still average those results? And if not, what's your reasoning? And if yes, then we might as well do it for everybody up to the pointy end of the grid...

Actually, I'd like all positions save last to be points scored. You are correct though, averaging positions would be inconsistent with a team who gets one point to automatically come on top.

it is almost as if someone has already done that and look at the bashing they got.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12024

Take heart Jabber, for there are those who still love you (i.e. me).

Signed,
Lewis,
with love x

:gonnagetit::handbag::irked:
DD, surely by now you must realise I'm very generous with my love. I love you billions also xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I like the point for everyone thing. But to do that they'd have to rehaul the pts system.... Not a big deal though; we'd just have to get used to BIG numbers.

Bigger than they already are! :eek:
We could do points fractionally, 20/20 for P1, 1/20 for last place, then do the weighting to accommodate the uneven points gaps - which would confuse the hell out of everyone. Maybe Bernie will like the idea.

I think they give points down to too many positions now. Top 6 would be enough. Also, the numbers don't mean anything, it's the relative differences that count. The gap in points from 1st to 2nd should be min 40%. Under that scenario, if first got 25 second would get 15 points.
The points quantity makes a psychological difference until everyone gets used to it.

Doing fractions and complicated numbers is too much of a burden. I mean regular casual people are confused enough... No need to make it harder.

No way they're giving pts too far. Giving pts til 6th only? By that measure some teams would rather sit down and watch. Have a few runs to try and get some camera time for their sponsors, then head back into the pits and have a magnum. Costs less than running round in circles for nothing.
Points for the top 6 only. 10, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 is how is should be. Anyone who doesn't score points will just have to build a better car.

They can build a better car if they wanted MORE pts too.
Points for the top 6 only. 10, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 is how is should be. Anyone who doesn't score points will just have to build a better car.

They can build a better car if they wanted MORE pts too.

Exactly,

In my opinion there is a difference in merit for every position scored, the points awarded are how we measure the performance of teams, it makes sense for a higher position to be formally considered better, even if it is only 2nd last to last, the 2nd last team has done better in that race.

Will also have an effect on races, where a driver has suffered a puncture or drive through, they can still fight for all the positions, not just conserve the engine because they will finish out of the points.

I wasn't serious about fractional points, I guess it would be the most ordered system though. That's what I meant with maybe Bernie will like the idea, he likes to make jokes with the future of f1.
My two cents; the points system is fine, the points spread in good, big enough incentive to go for the win but not so big that a driver can run away with it, like we've seen this season and 2010, 2011 was just silly because the Red Bull was insanely dominant. The 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 system was the silliest, only two points difference between 1 and 2 doesn't give any incentive!
My two cents; the points system is fine, the points spread in good, big enough incentive to go for the win but not so big that a driver can run away with it, like we've seen this season and 2010, 2011 was just silly because the Red Bull was insanely dominant. The 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 system was the silliest, only two points difference between 1 and 2 doesn't give any incentive!

Agreed. :thumbup:

The cars are too reliable now for top 6 only.

See our F1 related articles too!