FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For computing and gaming discussion (incl. batracer)
I find the Mac interface so much more user-friendly and completely virus-free,

:eek::nono: Apples are not virus free...Apple themselves even recommend that you use an anti-virus application on their machines.

Not that I can talk. I'm still living quite happily in Windows XP land. I would install Linux but I'm too lazy to set it up :(

Haha, but compared to Windows, Apple machines are more or less virus-free... seriously, they are way more superior to Windows. After trying out Apple computers, you would generally not want to touch a Windows machine anymore... lol.
seems easy enough denth, if you need it to work straight out the box..... :eek:

Hey. It'd work straight out of the box if I had a box to get it out of. :P

I'll gladly source a machine, install Linux on it and send it to someone with everything working correctly. So the "just works straight out of the box" option is always there. But that script does everything after the installation of the operating system, and to run it I just type "sudo sh install.sh" and walk away. Took me ten minutes to write and has saved me about ten hours in total since doing it.

In the time it takes someone to install Windows, all of the drivers from their computer and all of their favourite programs, I've installed my operating system and applications, pre-configured everything, gone for a cup of tea, come back to watch my favourite movie and then gone to bed. :P

I imagine something similar would be possible with OS X, provided they can run shell scripts like the one I posted.
No offence, but I'm not a fan of Linux.

It's free, but you get what you pay for. I see no advantage to using Linux over Windows 7 or Snow Leopard. Linux is very limited. Very few applications have a linux edition. True wine, does a good job of making Linux a much more viable system to use. But still, I hate the idea of finding an program and not being to install it, or having to use a program to install a program.

Also, for the average user, the pain of getting scripts like those and drivers isn't a step too far, it's a mile too far. The average user doesn't know there is a world beyond internet explorer, Microsoft word and msn. In fact, if you gave a lot of users an installation disk for something like windows 7, they couldn't even tell how to use it. So even if you gave them a simple disk with Ubuntu on it, they'd be flummoxed before they even hit driver errors.

Plus Mac and Windows so much more streamlined now, and it makes using computers so much more enjoyable. Linux just doesn't have any relevant advantages that make it worth using.
I find the Mac interface so much more user-friendly and completely virus-free,

:eek::nono: Apples are not virus free...Apple themselves even recommend that you use an anti-virus application on their machines.

Not that I can talk. I'm still living quite happily in Windows XP land. I would install Linux but I'm too lazy to set it up :(

Not true. There are 0 Viral Threats reported for Mac. Apple has not recommended anything of the kind outside of obscure outdated support documents for some time.

What you might have meant is Macs are not malware-free, but McLamilton never said they were malware-free.
What you might have meant is Macs are not malware-free, but McLamilton never said they were malware-free.

Splitting hairs :rolleyes: Either way, Macs are not as truly angelic as fan-boys always make out they are.

Haha, but compared to Windows, Apple machines are more or less virus-free... seriously, they are way more superior to Windows. After trying out Apple computers, you would generally not want to touch a Windows machine anymore... lol.

Too expensive for me, mainly. I was looking at maybe getting a Macbook (MacBook Air :cloud9: ) but plumped for a notebook instead. I like the idea of Macs but I'm lazy and can't be bothered to learn a new OS :hehe: And as I said, I like living in the past with my Windows XP anyway....and even then, I was grudgingly pulled away from Windows 2000 :hehe:

Too expensive for me, mainly. I was looking at maybe getting a Macbook (MacBook Air :cloud9: ) but plumped for a notebook instead. I like the idea of Macs but I'm lazy and can't be bothered to learn a new OS :hehe: And as I said, I like living in the past with my Windows XP anyway....and even then, I was grudgingly pulled away from Windows 2000 :hehe:

Actually, Macs are not expensive. Compare the specs of a Mac with a branded PC of equivalent specs, not the cheapest PC model with the cheapest Mac model, as the specs of the PC would really be inferior. Even for brands like Acer and Sony, their cheaper models are filled with a lot of cheap, low-end parts, and that is how they keep the costs down. But you might end up having to spend more on repair costs and maintenance costs, for the cheaper PC. But this will never happen for a Mac - you can be assured of high-quality parts from a reputable manufacturer. So, Macs are definitely worth it, in the long run.

Also, the Mac OS and interface is extremely easy to learn too. Haha, you'll really be surprised at how easy everything is, and how nicely everything simply fits in, the moment you touch a Mac... sure, it might be confusing at first, but that might be cause you are looking at things from a Windows perspective and trying to do everything the Windows way. For instance, when uninstalling software, all you need to do is to drag it to the trash. Simple as that. No need to go through that uninstall this, uninstall that, uninstall what before the program is removed from the system. Easy, right? :hehe:
No, the reason Mac's are more expensive is because you can only run Mac OS X on an apple laptop. Windows can run on acer's, toshiba's, compaq's etc Those companies are constantly competing with one another, trying to better each other and provide lower prices. Apple can charge whatever they like.

Apple are FAR more expensive compared to similarly speced laptops. Take a new Macbook pro, 4gb ram, 2.53 GHZ processor, 250gb hard drive. £1,200. I looked for similarly speced laptops on Amazon, and I was getting between £400 and £600. Thats more than half the price.

This is from someone who owns a Macbook Pro. If I were buying a brand new laptop, I wouldn't waste my own money on it. I really do love my Macbook Pro though (cause it was free :wink: ) and ever since windows starting making their OS stupidly similar to Mac's, I've started enjoy using OS X more and more. But it's a crazy price to pay.

Splitting hairs :rolleyes: Either way, Macs are not as truly angelic as fan-boys always make out they are.

It's not splitting hairs, it's a fact. There are no known viruses for Macs, and precious few active Malware threats, because Macs are more secure than Windows - OS X is derived from UNIX, security is UNIX's middle name. Windows on the other hand has a virus pandemic so great it is 100% recommended to install anti-virus software on any machine connected to the internet, or even on a network, and is (When compared to OS X or Linux) so full of security holes it looks like a slice of Swiss Cheese.

It doesn't matter if Apple has some overly passionate fans, the fact is Macs (And Linux PCs) are massively more secure than Windows PCs. And for that matter, have you ever spent 5 minutes talking to a Windows PC fanboy? They are as bad as or worse than Apple fanboys.

It's not splitting hairs, it's a fact. There are no known viruses for Macs, and precious few active Malware threats, because Macs are more secure than Windows - OS X is derived from UNIX, security is UNIX's middle name. Windows on the other hand has a virus pandemic so great it is 100% recommended to install anti-virus software on any machine connected to the internet, or even on a network, and is (When compared to OS X or Linux) so full of security holes it looks like a slice of Swiss Cheese.

It doesn't matter if Apple has some overly passionate fans, the fact is Macs (And Linux PCs) are massively more secure than Windows PCs. And for that matter, have you ever spent 5 minutes talking to a Windows PC fanboy? They are as bad as or worse than Apple fanboys.

:hehe: I work with Windows fanboy's, as well as Mac fanboy's. I've met some extremes from either side, and Mac guys have a tendency to be worse in my experience, because they can't help explaining how you should buy mac and how they're so wonderful. First time I ever used a Mac, the guy who owned was bursting to know how great I thought they where.

This is from the horses mouth
Is a Mac safe from PC viruses?

Yes, a Mac is 100 percent safe from viruses designed to attack PCs. And although no computer connected to the Internet is completely immune to all viruses and spyware, the Mac is built on a solid UNIX foundation and designed with security in mind. The Mac web browser, Safari, alerts you whenever you’re downloading an application — even if it’s disguised as a picture or movie file. And Apple continually makes free security updates available for Mac owners. You can even have them download automatically.

There have been viruses for the Mac. But really, if you ever got a virus on a Mac, you'd have to be about the unluckiest guy there is. :hehe:

As for windows. It's painful having to run anti-virus programs. I remember when I got a fresh install of windows 7. Loaded up so quickly and it was wonderful.Put some anti-virus on it and bham, starting getting some noticeable lag as AVG booted up. Then AVG started deleting stuff on me :irked: basically Anti-viruses remove anything that is an .exe and under something like 500kb.
So yeah, 1up Mac & Linux.

Another story about windows. What hackers used to do was look at the security updates for windows, see what security hole they had just patched up. Then they'd create a virus that would have exploited that security hole, and anyone who hadn't yet updated and had got infected by the virus got a pain in the rear.

The funniest viruses I've seen are the ones posing as anti-viruses. You download them thinking you've got yourself some awesome free anti-virus. Then it tells you you've got several infections and that you have to pay £50 to get rid of them. Oh, and it locks you out of your computer until you've paid the £50. Russians :hehe:

But as I always say, the best anti-virus is common sense.
http://www.infoniac.com/offbeat-news/computervirus.html
There have been viruses for the Mac. But really, if you ever got a virus on a Mac, you'd have to be about the unluckiest guy there is. :hehe:

There have been viral threats for Macs, sure. But there are no known active viral threats for Mac OS X, and there hasn't been one in the wild for some time. Most Mac Malware is software pertaining to be something else, what is known as a Trojan Horse. Those "Anti-Virus" scam porgrams you're talking about are Trojans, not Viruses. Viruses are so-named because they spread themselves, without user input.
No, the reason Mac's are more expensive is because you can only run Mac OS X on an apple laptop. Windows can run on acer's, toshiba's, compaq's etc Those companies are constantly competing with one another, trying to better each other and provide lower prices. Apple can charge whatever they like.

Apple are FAR more expensive compared to similarly speced laptops. Take a new Macbook pro, 4gb ram, 2.53 GHZ processor, 250gb hard drive. £1,200. I looked for similarly speced laptops on Amazon, and I was getting between £400 and £600. Thats more than half the price.

This is from someone who owns a Macbook Pro. If I were buying a brand new laptop, I wouldn't waste my own money on it. I really do love my Macbook Pro though (cause it was free :wink: ) and ever since windows starting making their OS stupidly similar to Mac's, I've started enjoy using OS X more and more. But it's a crazy price to pay.

Hmm, what brand of laptop did you compare the MacBook Pro with, may I ask? You might want to note that not all PC brands can be considered "in the same league" as Apple, especially those brands (I would rather not mention names here) which tend to cut costs by using cheap, inferior computer parts. At face value, the computer might be cheaper, but in the long run, you will end up spending much more in terms of repair and maintenance costs.

This series of comparisons might be of interest to you, too. :)

http://forums.vr-zone.com/apple-corner/ ... rison.html
ill always run windows machines i think

and wont get any SSD drives for a while. ive heard they are worse [and far more expensive, with far less capacity [as yet]

ill stick with my dell that i have fitted with 2x500gb HDD
its too old to play any new games but it runs 2 full HD monitors fine

macs are just too expensive for me and i do like windows [and not a fan of apple in general really]
ill always run windows machines i think

and wont get any SSD drives for a while. ive heard they are worse [and far more expensive, with far less capacity [as yet]

ill stick with my dell that i have fitted with 2x500gb HDD
its too old to play any new games but it runs 2 full HD monitors fine

macs are just too expensive for me and i do like windows [and not a fan of apple in general really]

your right about the capacity they tend to be more expensive for lower capacity.

But they are far far better than magnetic disk drives, they are faster at retrieving data, they don't loose data if you drop them and you don't need to worry about them becoming fragmented so no need to defrag ever.

In fact they need to change the file system really so it scatters blocks of data across them rather than storing them in an order like the NTFS system.

See our F1 related articles too!