FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For computing and gaming discussion (incl. batracer)
^^ Corporate talk and bull. The real world is different and I work in a computer repair centre. I'm just saying back-up everything you think is important. Something everyone should do regardless.

SSDs are faster and more reliable. Backing up is always a good idea, however.

I have an HDD in mine, purely because of cost & capacity.

On paper they may in theory be more reliable. Because there are no moving parts, and they aren't prone to be destroyed by some clumsy fool. But with anything, there are teething problems. They're the future, but i'll wait another while yet. They're still not worth it. I also don't like the idea that they're performance deteriorates after time.

Also, if your Macbook is like mine, replacing the hard drive is a pain. Mine doesn't have the slot under the battery. I have to take the entire thing apart, which when it's not your own laptop is a painful experience. Not to mention you need very specific screws to take it apart. <_<

I have no interest in screwing around inside my computers. That's why I use Macs, so I can avoid that as much as possible
^^ Corporate talk and bull. The real world is different and I work in a computer repair centre. I'm just saying back-up everything you think is important. Something everyone should do regardless.

On paper they may in theory be more reliable. Because there are no moving parts, and they aren't prone to be destroyed by some clumsy fool. But with anything, there are teething problems. They're the future, but i'll wait another while yet. They're still not worth it. I also don't like the idea that they're performance deteriorates after time.

Also, if your Macbook is like mine, replacing the hard drive is a pain. Mine doesn't have the slot under the battery. I have to take the entire thing apart, which when it's not your own laptop is a painful experience. Not to mention you need very specific screws to take it apart. <_<

It's not bad at all. Simply take the bottom of the unibody off (10 screws) and there it is.

Fo shure :wink:

Haha, high five! :D:D

I have no interest in screwing around inside my computers. That's why I use Macs, so I can avoid that as much as possible

Haha, I buy computers to use, not to screw around... also, I find the Mac interface so much more user-friendly and completely virus-free, than Windows will probably ever be...
So? :p

Come to think of it, I think the last time I used an apple was when my school had just upgraded it's computer department from BBCs.

Well, it's time to give it a second look :wink:

Just did, it's a PC but with big advantage of not coming with M$ bloated virus installer.

Come to think of it, I think the last time I used an apple was when my school had just upgraded it's computer department from BBCs.

Just did, it's a PC but with big advantage of not coming with M$ bloated virus installer.

Which you can just remove and replace with something else at no cost anyway. :P
Haha, I buy computers to use, not to screw around... also, I find the Mac interface so much more user-friendly and completely virus-free, than Windows will probably ever be...

Agreed! I'm exactly the same! High-Five!

Linux isn't cool until Google says so.

Whic should be right around the time when ChromeOS is ready for Prime Time.

Agreed! I'm exactly the same! High-Five!

Haha. *High five!* :D:D

Aluminium, hah cheapskate apple fairy.

Pure envy on your part:P

Lol, I agree, someone is really hiding some hidden jealous feelings here... :P:P
^^ Corporate talk and bull. The real world is different and I work in computer repair centre. I'm just saying back-up everything you think is important. Something everyone should do regardless.

I do have have windows on my Mac. 320gb, 160GB for Snow Leopard and 160GB for Windows 7. Works like a dream.

I have loads of stuff that isn't made for Mac (better :thumbup: ) The main things are games. Rfactor, emulators, and multimedia fusion (for making games) So it's great being to typical windows stuff, and being able to have Mac for casual browsing, music, syncing my iphone etc.

Yeah well, I don't do gaming, so I don't need any of those windoze apps - the rest can be found on the Mac platform almost w/o fail and often in a better incarnation.

Well, not really. Only if you are really lucky.

A friend of mine has little executive VIP transport company in Johannesburg, South Africa. He just got high-end 15" MBP. He is trilled by looks, screen, touchpad... not so, for some reason, for keyboard (which I think is great on MBP)... but major problem is, he can't find apps he need for his business for OSX, so he is at present spending most of his time bootcamping with Windows 7.

He is not gamer, nor a programmer. He mentioned that Entourage (or whatever is the name of Outlook in Mac Office 2008) can't even remotely replace proper Outlook 2007, on which he depends heavily. He mentioned some other applications that I didn't recognise, but I think are for accounting, booking... those sort of things.

At the end of the day, if you are not common home user (not interested in games) nor graphics designer of any sort, you might easily find that OSX is missing application(s) you need for your work.

Strangely enough, he skipped on iPhone, which he tried but found not as good for his needs as Blackberry.
^^ Corporate talk and bull. The real world is different and I work in computer repair centre. I'm just saying back-up everything you think is important. Something everyone should do regardless.

I do have have windows on my Mac. 320gb, 160GB for Snow Leopard and 160GB for Windows 7. Works like a dream.

I have loads of stuff that isn't made for Mac (better :thumbup: ) The main things are games. Rfactor, emulators, and multimedia fusion (for making games) So it's great being to typical windows stuff, and being able to have Mac for casual browsing, music, syncing my iphone etc.

Yeah well, I don't do gaming, so I don't need any of those windoze apps - the rest can be found on the Mac platform almost w/o fail and often in a better incarnation.

Well, not really. Only if you are really lucky.

A friend of mine has little executive VIP transport company in Johannesburg, South Africa. He just got high-end 15" MBP. He is trilled by looks, screen, touchpad... not so, for some reason, for keyboard (which I think is great on MBP)... but major problem is, he can't find apps he need for his business for OSX, so he is at present spending most of his time bootcamping with Windows 7.

He is not gamer, nor a programmer. He mentioned that Entourage (or whatever is the name of Outlook in Mac Office 2008) can't even remotely replace proper Outlook 2007, on which he depends heavily. He mentioned some other applications that I didn't recognise, but I think are for accounting, booking... those sort of things.

At the end of the day, if you are not common home user (not interested in games) nor graphics designer of any sort, you might easily find that OSX is missing application(s) you need for your work.

Strangely enough, he skipped on iPhone, which he tried but found not as good for his needs as Blackberry.

Entourage will be replaced by Outlook in the upcoming Office for Mac suite.
Now with Snow Leopard, the Mac has out-of-the-box support for Microsoft Exchange Server 2007, something even Windows PCs don't have. So the Mac is the only computer with built-in support for the latest version of Microsoft Exchange Server. Instead of using Outlook to access Exchange services such as email, calendar invitations, and Global Address Lists, you’ll use Mail, iCal, and Address Book.
Snow Leopard also has built-in VPN support - I can't wait to get rid of the clumsy Cisco VPN client we have to use. No more once I migrate to my new MBP :thumbup:
So, your friend should read up on Snow Leopard :wink:
For starters: http://download.cnet.com/mac/business-applications/
http://theappleblog.com/2007/08/21/30-a ... siness-by/
http://www.pure-mac.com/business.html
I find the Mac interface so much more user-friendly and completely virus-free,

:eek::nono: Apples are not virus free...Apple themselves even recommend that you use an anti-virus application on their machines.

Not that I can talk. I'm still living quite happily in Windows XP land. I would install Linux but I'm too lazy to set it up :(
I find the Mac interface so much more user-friendly and completely virus-free,

Not that I can talk. I'm still living quite happily in Windows XP land. I would install Linux but I'm too lazy to set it up :(

If you give me a rough idea of what you want, I could probably write a shell script that would handle most of it for you, and help out with anything else (either with advice or through remote desktop or whatever). :)

At the moment, after a fresh (minimal - command-line) install, I just run this to set up everything for me.

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash

# Create directory for temporary files
sudo -u joel mkdir installation

# Create user directories
sudo -u joel mkdir .backups .config .config/openbox .config/tint2 Documents Downloads Music Pictures Pictures/Backgrounds Videos

# Change to install directory
cd installation

# Download files necessary for installation and extract them to "installation"
sudo -u joel wget http://192.168.2.2/installs/install.tar.gz
sudo -u joel tar -xvf install.tar.gz

# Initial backup
cp /etc/hosts ~/.backups
cp /etc/apt/sources.list ~/.backups

# Copy new files and update apt for new sources.list file
cp ~/installation/hosts /etc
cp ~/installation/sources.list /etc/apt
apt-get update

# Add the CrunchBang 9.04 repository
wget http://crunchbang.net/packages-9.04.xx/crunchbang.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/crunchbang.list
wget -q http://crunchbang.net/crunchbang.key -O- | apt-key add - && apt-get update

# Update
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

# Install software using aptitude
apt-get install build-essential libcairo2-dev libpango1.0-dev libglib2.0-dev libimlib2-dev libxinerama-dev libx11-dev xorg nvidia-glx-185 nvidia-settings xcompmgr-dana alsa alsa-utils openbox obconf obmenu lxappearance feh parcellite gedit seahorse thunar file-roller rar unrar scrot terminator xlockmore sshfs units cupsys cupsys-client volwheel abiword gnumeric firefox pidgin xchat transmission claws-mail vlc gimp blender wesnoth -y

# Install tint2
cd tint2-0.7.1
./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
make
make install
cd ~

# Install Adobe Flash plug-in for Firefox
sudo -u joel mkdir ~/.mozilla/plugins
sudo -u joel cp ~/installation/libflashplayer.so ~/.mozilla/plugins

# Copy new config files
sudo -u joel cp ~/installation/rc.xml ~/.config/openbox
sudo -u joel cp ~/installation/menu.xml ~/.config/openbox
sudo -u joel cp ~/installation/autostart.sh ~/.config/openbox
sudo -u joel cp ~/installation/tint2rc ~/.config/tint2
sudo -u joel cp ~/installation/Massa.jpg ~/Pictures/Backgrounds
cp ~/installation/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf
cp ~/installation/client.conf /etc/cups

# Restart CUPS
/etc/init.d/cups restart

# Add user to the "audio" group
usermod -aG audio joel

# Improve appearance of fonts
ln -s /etc/fonts/conf.avail/10-sub-pixel-rgb.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d

# Clean up and log out
rm -r installation
apt-get autoremove -y

Of course, this does depend on a pre-built archive of files containing configuration files for applications that I use, but unless you want something built specifically around the kind of things I use my computer for and are very fussy about resource usage (the machine I run that on uses ~200MB RAM unless I'm doing something super intensive) then that probably isn't really something you'd use.

See our F1 related articles too!