FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For computing and gaming discussion (incl. batracer)
Got my spanking new MacBook Pro: Precision aluminum unibody enclosure, mercury- and arsenic-free LED-backlit 17-inch Hi-resolution glossy widescreen (with Apple remote and backlit keyboard), 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (64-bit architecture!), 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 8X SuperDrive, 2 graphics processors NVIDIA GeForce 9400M/NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, 8-hour built-in battery, built-in iSight camera, and a 256GB Solid State Drive :cloud9:
It's still shrink-wrapped and waiting to be deflorated. I want to have a few days of uninterrupted attention (after Winter Solstice) to pop the cherry and migrate from my old MacBook, which includes partitioning and customization of my new baby with all sorts of add-ons and GUI tweaks, so I'll be patient... :drink:
Got my spanking new MacBook Pro: Precision aluminum unibody enclosure, mercury- and arsenic-free LED-backlit 17-inch Hi-resolution glossy widescreen (with Apple remote and backlit keyboard), 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (64-bit architecture!), 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 8X SuperDrive, 2 graphics processors NVIDIA GeForce 9400M/NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, 8-hour built-in battery, built-in iSight camera, and a 256GB Solid State Drive :cloud9:
It's still shrink-wrapped and waiting to be deflorated. I want to have a few days of uninterrupted attention (after Winter Solstice) to pop the cherry and migrate from my old MacBook, which includes partitioning and customization of my new baby with all sorts of add-ons and GUI tweaks, so I'll be patient... :drink:

Congrats on your new MBP. Beats Windows anytime, doesn't it? :hehe::hehe:

Congrats on your new MBP. Beats Windows anytime, doesn't it? :hehe::hehe:

Fo shure :wink:
A 256 Sold State Drive :hehe: Enjoy using the extra to speed to back-up your stuff quicker. Those things are known to unreliable.

Anyways, Macbook Pro, pfft. I have one and they really aren't worth the price. Mac do a lovely OS, but lack of applications is a pain in arse. I have too many programs that aren't supported by Mac. Thus why I run both Windows and Mac nowadays.
A 256 Sold State Drive :hehe: Enjoy using the extra to speed to back-up your stuff quicker. Those things are known to unreliable.

Anyways, Macbook Pro, pfft. I have one and they really aren't worth the price. Mac do a lovely OS, but lack of applications is a pain in arse. I have too many programs that aren't supported by Mac. Thus why I run both Windows and Mac nowadays.

I hate when people use that statement >.<

It's the applications that don't support the operating system, not the operating system that doesn't support the applications :P

Anyways, congratulations, DD. Hope you're happy with your choice :)

You can always run Windoze on a Mac, either the real thing (and in many cases faster than on a Windoze box) or in a virtual environment. In my entire life I've had no need to use any Windoze app ever :P

My old HD croked - I travel a lot, so my laptop is exposed to vibrations and whatnot a lot. I decided on a Solid State Drive because it has no movable parts :thumbup:

What are the advantages of an SSD?

Superior reliability
The continuous motion generated by multiple moving parts creates heat, which is a leading factor in hard drive failure. In fact, hard drives are one of the notebook components most likely to fail. Because an SSD does not have moving parts, heat dissipation and noise are reduced or eliminated, resulting in a very rugged and reliable offering compared to a mechanical hard drive.

SSDs also have extreme shock and vibration tolerance, and their operating temperature ranges meet or exceed that of standard hard drives.

Increased power efficiency
Ever have your notebook battery die during a presentation? With no moving parts, SSDs require less power, improving battery operating time in notebook PCs and portable electronic devices.

Instant-load performance
Without the moving mechanical parts that cause latency issues, SSDs are not impeded by spin-up, seek time, or rotational latency. This equates to faster boot times, faster application loading, and greater overall system responsiveness.

Quiet acoustics
With no spinning parts, SSDs provide for silent operation, similar to that of a standard USB flash drive rather than the constant, noisy humming of a mechanical hard drive.

Reduced heat dissipation
Hard drives dissipate high levels of failure-inducing heat due to the parts necessary to operate the hard drive (such as the spinning platter). In contrast, SSDs produce little-to-no measurable heat because they have no moving parts, thus helping keep notebooks operating cooler.

Lightweight
Enjoy increased mobility with a lighter-weight SSD, which weighs less than a traditional mechanical drive.

Plus read this re. your claim about reliability
^^ Corporate talk and bull. The real world is different and I work in a computer repair centre. I'm just saying back-up everything you think is important. Something everyone should do regardless.

I do have have windows on my Mac. 320gb, 160GB for Snow Leopard and 160GB for Windows 7. Works like a dream.

I have loads of stuff that isn't made for Mac (better :thumbup: ) The main things are games. Rfactor, emulators, and multimedia fusion (for making games) So it's great being to typical windows stuff, and being able to have Mac for casual browsing, music, syncing my iphone etc.
Last edited by cap-dude on 13 Dec 09, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
^^ Corporate talk and bull. The real world is different and I work in computer repair centre. I'm just saying back-up everything you think is important. Something everyone should do regardless.

I do have have windows on my Mac. 320gb, 160GB for Snow Leopard and 160GB for Windows 7. Works like a dream.

I have loads of stuff that isn't made for Mac (better :thumbup: ) The main things are games. Rfactor, emulators, and multimedia fusion (for making games) So it's great being to typical windows stuff, and being able to have Mac for casual browsing, music, syncing my iphone etc.

Yeah well, I don't do gaming, so I don't need any of those windoze apps - the rest can be found on the Mac platform almost w/o fail and often in a better incarnation.
^^ Corporate talk and bull. The real world is different and I work in a computer repair centre. I'm just saying back-up everything you think is important. Something everyone should do regardless.

SSDs are faster and more reliable. Backing up is always a good idea, however.

I have an HDD in mine, purely because of cost & capacity.

SSDs are faster and more reliable. Backing up is always a good idea, however.

I have an HDD in mine, purely because of cost & capacity.

On paper they may in theory be more reliable. Because there are no moving parts, and they aren't prone to be destroyed by some clumsy fool. But with anything, there are teething problems. They're the future, but i'll wait another while yet. They're still not worth it. I also don't like the idea that they're performance deteriorates after time.

Also, if your Macbook is like mine, replacing the hard drive is a pain. Mine doesn't have the slot under the battery. I have to take the entire thing apart, which when it's not your own laptop is a painful experience. Not to mention you need very specific screws to take it apart. <_<

See our F1 related articles too!