FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For computing and gaming discussion (incl. batracer)
Well,

I got a new computer like two weeks ago paid for by my business, with the exception to the case & hard-drives which I paid for personally, I removed my old computer from my case and put my new computer parts into it and then put my old computer in an old not so good case with a spare 300GB hard-drive.

My old computer was pretty decent and managed most things perfectly fine but I was starting to get issues popup now and again and for certain tasks like analysing data or running processor intesive tasks it was rather slow. I also have an excel file that is so big that it couldn't quite open it with only 8GB of memory.

Old PC Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS P5Q-PRO
Memory: 8GB Corsair DDR 800MHz (4x2GB)
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6870 (2GB)
Processor: Intel Core2Quad Q9550 2.83GHz

New PC Specs:
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6
Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR3 PC2133 (8x8GB)
Graphics Card: AMD R9 270X (4GB)
Processor: Intel Core i7 4930K 3.40GHz

It blows the water out of my old computer, also mentioning water the CPU is watercooled by a closed circuit system (doesn't require me to change the water every 6 months and doesn't require me to do any cleaning)

The first thing I did to test the computer out was put some media through Handbrake to compress it all, I turned 60GB of video into just under 1GB in 2 hours when on my old computer it would take 2-3 days, I tested Diablo III where I could run it at max settings in town only on my old PC and would normally run it at lowish settings, I could run the game at 100% max settings on my new PC, I then tested F1 2013 where I could only run it at medium to low settings on my old PC but now I can run it at 100% max settings and it looks fabulous!

I am able to open 10+ copies of the excel document that I couldn't even open on my old PC, I only tested 10 copies because it's rather boring opening up the sheet and waiting for it all to load and re-do all of the formulas.

I still have my old PC sitting next to my new PC just incase I need a decent emergency backup or I want to do stuff while this PC is doing some stupidly intensive tasks :P
And some have called me extreme for having 32GB of DDR3 (1866Mhz), I also have a AMD FX8350 (Octacore), 2 x 120GB Kingston Hyper X SSD, 1 x 500GB mechanical drive and an older AMD Radeon HD6770 graphics card (I'm not a big gamer). The biggest difference maker was actually the upgrade to SSD for the OS and applications, the system boots to the login screen in less than ten seconds now and another 2-3 second to Windows 8.1.
Haha mine's mainly for running algorithms and analysis code on that's why it's got to have a sick processor and some sweet memory.

The hardest part putting it together was the water cooler... I couldn't for the life of me figure out how/where you connect two cables... turns out the instructions were missing a step and I had to pull a plastic protector of each end of the cable which looking at the connector you wouldn't know by looking at it that it comes off
I don't use my computer for anything that intense (although I used to run SETI@Home, which is very processor intensive), mainly web development (Dreamweaver) and graphical work (Photoshop); plus I usually have four browsers with multiple tabs open in each, plus some sort of music streaming player, I can't work in silence.
You guys are making me jelly. I want an upgrade, but there is an expensive hobby in the way at the moment. Seven hundred dollars for a performance muffler or seven hundred dollars for a new MB, Processor and 32 gigs.

MOA do you like the 8 core AMD? I saw a "Black" version priced for 190 bucks whereas similar horsepower from Intel would cost 320. I've never bought an AMD but I was tempted.
MOA do you like the 8 core AMD? I saw a "Black" version priced for 190 bucks whereas similar horsepower from Intel would cost 320. I've never bought an AMD but I was tempted.

I like the AMD FX8350; it's no slouch; not as fast as the latest Intel i7's but it's certainly the best bang for your buck! Although be prepared to bolt on a serious HSF combo/AIO; the stock cooler will have the CPU temperatures running high into the 70s at full load, I run a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo in push/pull fan configuration, which keeps temperatures at full load in the high 40s, running SETI with all 8 cores active. You should be able to pick up a motherboard, AMD 8350 and 32GB of DDR3 1866 for less than $500, maybe less than $450 if you can hit some sales.
Most important thing with AMD octocore processors is to get an aftermarket CPU cooler unless you want a permanent helicopter trying to take off.

AMD processors are great for 99% of users, they're priced very respectability and have more than enough grunt for you're every day user or gamer. A top end Intel processor is massive overkill and waste of money unless you're doing some serious developing, converting, compression... bla bla. If I was buying my own computer I would more than likely get an AMD one because for personal use I don't need the power of the Intel beasts.

You can make a very very good computer for £500-£600 that will be more than enough to put all current games to max settings and obviously walk generic use.

I have only used AMD for years, I dont think there is much difference now a days between AMD and Intel

There is just as big of a difference now as there was ten years ago. Just prior to that AMD held the top spot for a few years.

That doesn't mean they're bad by all means. You're every day user could make a budget pc and be very very happy with it
Holy sh*t just realized you guys are a bunch of techies.....next time I want to get a new PC I'll just PM one of yous. None of my circles are into PCs n stuff.
I don't use my computer for anything that intense (although I used to run SETI@Home, which is very processor intensive)

I swear my electric bill dropped when I stopped doing SETI@Home.
The thing you have to remember that AMD are actually moving away from the performance CPU market, moving towards APU processors and GPU's. they haven't released an all new chip in 2 years; the FX 8350 is over two years old now. When I bought my FX 8350; some 20 months ago, I weighed it up against the Intel 3rd gen i7 3770k and the Intel chip was only about 5% faster but about 40% more expensive, it was really a no brainer to go with AMD; even with the aftermarket cooler, it only came to $230.

Since that time Intel have gone through several architecture changes so the latest i7s are significantly faster than the FX 8350. AMD have release newer processors based on the Piledriver architecture such as the FX 9590 which runs at a stupid TDP, 4.7 GHZ at 220w for $220 plus shipping, which is basically an overclocked FX 8350!

Yes, WB, SETI is a huge electric hog because the CPU is constantly drawing maximum watts from the PSU, my electric bill has dropped maybe 10-12% since stopping SETI.
I just jizzed in my pants.

That wasn't even about the computer stuff
Holy sh*t just realized you guys are a bunch of techies.....next time I want to get a new PC I'll just PM one of yous. None of my circles are into PCs n stuff.

Of course we are haha, best thing is to post on here and a few other sites with a budget, what you want to use the computer for as everyone had different thoughts.

You post on an overclockers website and they'll suggest one with a good motherboard and processor. Post on a gamer website and they'll post one with a good graphics card, post on a programming website and they'll suggest one with good memory and processor. Post on a normal computer website and they'll go for a more all round computer.

See our F1 related articles too!