FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For computing and gaming discussion (incl. batracer)
Just realized that I put together my existing desktop in December of 2007. I've never had a computer this long, and what's scary is that it's still more than usable for everything that I do on it, even some gaming. Have we come so far in development that the hardware is really now at point where it's transcended software software needs for the household environment?

I did upgrade the video card in 20010 and set up an SSD Raid 0 in 2011 (which made a quantum leap in performance) but since then, there's been no compelling reason to upgrade, what gives?

What are you guys using? Had everyone moved to a laptop or a tablet?
I used to use both a desktop and a laptop. I used the laptop when I was too lazy to get out of bed or I'd take it to game at a friend's house. The time between each got fairly evenly split about 50/50. Having a gaming laptop is so legit. Now that I'm a bit older tho and don't game so much with friends, my next purchase will be a desktop.

My current situation has my desktop out of commission because the video card is done and I just haven't got around to putting in a new one. My laptop's video card is also shot but it still runs my browser just fine. Neither can play games beyond minesweeper any more :hehe: I don't really understand the tablet thing. I guess I'm just not that mobile other than going to work or chilling/drinking at my house :drink::drink::drink:

Oh, I bought my desktop from cyberpower pc in like 2007, maybe early 2008, and my laptop around 2009. They got a LOT of use and each saw a solid five years of fairly hardcore gaming and 15-tabbing pr0nz
I have a desktop (well it lives in a cupboard as a server) it has no monitor attached.

A laptop that is only really used for thinks I can not do on my phone.

Sent using NCC-1701
When I'm at home with family in Lancashire, I use a desktop computer, new in 2007. But when I'm in London, I'm using an ADVENT KC550B laptop, which I have had since the summer of 2008. Good going?
Laptops for me since a loooong time. Just got me a brand new MacBook Pro with Retina display - very portable :cloud9:

I'm actually thinking of a switch to Mac, after I move to the states. Pretty much the whole art world uses them.
I've been on laptops for a few years now...currently on an almost 2 year old HP Spectre Envy. It's an 'ultrabook' or a mac equivalent. Very reliable so far, touch wood.
By RyRy
Just realized that I put together my existing desktop in December of 2007. I've never had a computer this long, and what's scary is that it's still more than usable for everything that I do on it, even some gaming. Have we come so far in development that the hardware is really now at point where it's transcended software software needs for the household environment?

I did upgrade the video card in 20010 and set up an SSD Raid 0 in 2011 (which made a quantum leap in performance) but since then, there's been no compelling reason to upgrade, what gives?

What are you guys using? Had everyone moved to a laptop or a tablet?

Sounds pretty similar to mine however as you see in that other thread somethings died on me.

I built this system in 2006
In 2007 my graphics card died so AMD gave me a 50% refund
From 2007-2010 I used an old graphics card as I wasn't doing anything graphics intensive.
In 2010 I decided to upgrade my graphics card to the best that my motherboard could handle (Cost me £3xx)
In 2011 I purchased two SSD's which like you say makes a HUGE difference in performanace.
In 2013 I purchased a third monitor
In 2013 I added another 2TB to the computer (Totaling in 6TB HDDs, 250GB SSD)

PS: Apparently most peoples mice die within 5 years, this one is now eight years old and works perfectly fine and is also in pretty damn good condition. Razer Diamondback <3

I can run Crysis, F1 2013...etc all at max quallity settings and it still runs fine, I do notice that in some things my processor is lacking in comparison to i5's and i7's as this is only a quad core 2.83ghz processor but it still does the job.
I made a change to using a tracker ball. It was a bit fiddly to start with but much better when you got into it. (You don't run out of mouse mat)

Sent using NCC-1701
I have a laptop, Desktop, iPad, Android Tablet and the desktop kicks the bottom of all the other devices.

Desktop (built March 2012):
- AMD FX8350 4Ghz 8-Core
- 32GB 1866Mhz RAM
- 500GB Mechanical Hard Disk
- AMD Radeon 6770 (which at the time was the only card that supported dual DVI for under $200).

Laptop (bought August 2011):
- Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5Ghz Dual Core Hyper-Threaded.
- 6GB 1600Mhz RAM
- 750GB Mechanical Hard Disk
- Onboard Intel Graphic.

The iPad and Android tablet is fine for general Internet usage, Email, Netflix, Hulu etc but useless for almost everything else.

I use my laptop for light work or when I cant be bothered to sit in the office, but for heavier work, the desktop rig works infinitely better, next upgrade will be a SSD boot drive to speed things up a little more.
By 1Lemon
Due to an error when I built my rig, I'm running 32bit windows 7 annoyingly, and I cheaped out on a power supply. A 450W supply feeding 3 hard drives, an I5 and a overclocked Nvidia gtx 560 TI Boost. Both of which have minimum power of 500W and 550W recommended. A computer science buddy did the calculations and my machine shouldn't run. :)
By bud
Laptops for me since a loooong time. Just got me a brand new MacBook Pro with Retina display - very portable :cloud9:

I want to upgrade my macbook pro but they no longer make 17" models, I can't go back to 15" even with Retina :irked:

I want to upgrade my macbook pro but they no longer make 17" models, I can't go back to 15" even with Retina :irked:

I bought one for my daughter for the start of of her university last year. It's an art school so they specified a Mac. The retina display is amazing, but you can use that and just plug in a 19 inch monitor or something along the lines for intensive desktop work no?
By RyRy
I use my tablet and phone with phonemypc / teamviewer / splashtop to control my computer, for things I can't do on my tablet I just login and do it

Sent from my Nexus 4

See our F1 related articles too!