FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For computing and gaming discussion (incl. batracer)
In addition, if you like to play DVD's on your PC; you will also need a third party application to do so as Windows Media Center which has the DVD playback functionality is no longer included in Windows; it's now an optional paid extra, plus it doesn't work very well; at least not for me. I was an early adopter of Windows 8 and got the WMC pack for free and it still wouldn't play back DVD's on my system. I use VLC for my movie playback needs now (which is free).

You mean there were people who actually chose to use Windoze Media Player? :hehe:

You mean people STILL watch DVDs???
Does Windows 8 not have the capability to natively give you the option of using the desktop of the previous OS version like Microsoft has done for the past umpteen operating systems?

Short answer - no.

In their infinite wisdom M$ decided that wasn't necessary, easier to just make the whole world think a desk/laptop is a phone or tablet. What you described is what the product MOA described does, there are some other products that do the same thing like Start8.
In addition, if you like to play DVD's on your PC; you will also need a third party application to do so as Windows Media Center which has the DVD playback functionality is no longer included in Windows; it's now an optional paid extra, plus it doesn't work very well; at least not for me. I was an early adopter of Windows 8 and got the WMC pack for free and it still wouldn't play back DVD's on my system. I use VLC for my movie playback needs now (which is free).

You mean there were people who actually chose to use Windoze Media Player? :hehe:

Yes, I still use Windows Media Player, I find it to works perfectly fine for playing back music and movies, but not DVD's in Windows 8/8.1 (obviously).

Does Windows 8 not have the capability to natively give you the option of using the desktop of the previous OS version like Microsoft has done for the past umpteen operating systems?

In Windows 8.1 there is an option to boot into the desktop by default, but the Start button still loads the Start Screen and then returns to the desktop if it's not a 'modern' application!

See our F1 related articles too!