FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For computing and gaming discussion (incl. batracer)
I did and swiftly wiped my hard disk and reinstalled Windows 7; the loss of Aero and completely removal of the traditional start menu, plus other things like Windows Media Center not being included as standard; its a paid optional extra now; which means no DVD playback without third party software or stumping up the cash for WMC. If you had this on a tablet it would make sense, but for a desktop OS it makes no sense whatsoever, I believe M$ has been lazy, basically overlaying a tablet interface over Windows 7 while removing the best bits of Windows 7.

Any other opinions?
I heard that (as you allude to) it's basically designed for tablets, which is no use to me.
I'll probably be getting a Windows Mobile 8 device soon, but I agree the interface on a desktop it not the way I'd want to go.

I think Microsoft believes we'll all have touch sensitive screen on our desktops soon/ :rolleyes:

IMO the mouse has been around for 50 years because it makes sense. Imagine having to move your arm to do something that you can do by flicking your wrist.
Did I hear right today that nokia has sold its phone and phone os to Microsoft?

You did indeed. 7 billion and change. I think it still remains to be seen WTF is going to happen. You've got the Google purchase of Motorola a while back, and now Microsoft plunkin into Nokia. Obviously these guys are looking for synergies an continuity in a product line in order to leverage sales of their mobile OS through the handset business. It's all about ad revenue at this point in time, so Google and Microsoft have to be trying to go the Apple route to increase both ad revenue and software distribution. The Window Mobile environment is a day late and a dollar short though and it's not really been seen as having made any headway into the enterprise environment. Nokia is plain our of the handset business. With apparently at least a third of their employees moving over the Microsoft.

In the mobile device management space for companies where remote wipe/find/control/selective wipe/secure containers/and policy as well as app deployment is concerned, it's 80% apple, 15% android and the rest 5% (including Blackberry) at this point.

Nokia used to have the Symbian OS as a differentiators but that dies a couple of years ago when they got in bed with Microsoft and Windows Mobile. Curious to see what happens.
Windows 8 is not too difficult to get used to. Many users were not happy losing their start button and this was a mistake on their part. Aside from that it features a few apple-like features like swiping the mouse to the top right or top left screen to navigate.

Operating system for now seems stable.
Well, everyone jumped in to tell you how much they like it.

The only experience I've had of it was trying to help my dad but getting completely lost with it.
One of the problems was that the back button in the store wasn't doing anything which made it impossible to browse the store, this was the fix for it:
.1. Shut down existing copies of the Windows App Store.
2. Go to the START Screen.
3. Search for CONTROL PANEL.
4. Locate FLASH PLAYER and double-click.
5. Select "Block all sites from storing information on this computer."
6. Close FLASH PLAYER dialog.
7. Go back into the app-store.... your back button should now be working

As far as i could see, how to get your way around everything else made about as much sense as that.
Im looking to buy a desktop for the first time in about 10 years. Most places seem to only be offering Windows 8.1

Anyone had anymore experience of it yet....?

Windows 8.1 works, but the Start Screen is a real pain; despite most applications running from the traditional desktop; Windows insists that you still use the Start Screen to launch those applications, which interrupts the flow of using the desktop in my opinion. The Start button has returned in 8.1 but it doesn't open a menu like you'd expect, it still launches the Start Screen. To get around this deliberate oversight from Microsoft, I use StartIsBack which restores the functionality, it's the real Start Menu, StartIsBack simply hooks into the hidden Start Menu functionality. Once StartIsBack is up and running, you can disable all the Start Screen functionality plus the various corner hotspots which brings up the charms bar and other useless stuff for non-touchscreen devices, StartIsBack is just $2.99 for a single license, it really has saved Windows 8/8.1 for me, it makes it run just like Windows 7 with the added speed and stability of 8/8.1.
Im looking to buy a desktop for the first time in about 10 years. Most places seem to only be offering Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 works, but the Start Screen is a real pain; despite most applications running from the traditional desktop; Windows insists that you still use the Start Screen to launch those applications, which interrupts the flow of using the desktop in my opinion. The Start button has returned in 8.1 but it doesn't open a menu like you'd expect, it still launches the Start Screen. To get around this deliberate oversight from Microsoft, I use StartIsBack which restores the functionality, it's the real Start Menu, StartIsBack simply hooks into the hidden Start Menu functionality. Once StartIsBack is up and running, you can disable all the Start Screen functionality plus the various corner hotspots which brings up the charms bar and other useless stuff for non-touchscreen devices, StartIsBack is just $2.99 for a single license, it really has saved Windows 8/8.1 for me, it makes it run just like Windows 7 with the added speed and stability of 8/8.1.

Valuable information.

Valuable information.

In addition, if you like to play DVD's on your PC; you will also need a third party application to do so as Windows Media Center which has the DVD playback functionality is no longer included in Windows; it's now an optional paid extra, plus it doesn't work very well; at least not for me. I was an early adopter of Windows 8 and got the WMC pack for free and it still wouldn't play back DVD's on my system. I use VLC for my movie playback needs now (which is free).
In addition, if you like to play DVD's on your PC; you will also need a third party application to do so as Windows Media Center which has the DVD playback functionality is no longer included in Windows; it's now an optional paid extra, plus it doesn't work very well; at least not for me. I was an early adopter of Windows 8 and got the WMC pack for free and it still wouldn't play back DVD's on my system. I use VLC for my movie playback needs now (which is free).

You mean there were people who actually chose to use Windoze Media Player? :hehe:

See our F1 related articles too!