FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
With FOMs announcement that the feeds will be in HD I wonder if Speed TV will continue to broadcast the same old yammering they have provided for years? Being limited in the US to have only one ( don't get me started on how bad FOX is) broadcaster for the season, it is painful to have to deal with the greatest motor sport announced by a trio hopped up on coffee and sometimes unaware of what's going on. Why cant they just shut up sometime and let the engines speak for themselves. The scream of an F1 engine is music to all F1 fans. Yet these guys talk over in car coverage with the same old rhetoric they yammer about all the time. There is so much to learn if you hear what's happening on the track. I'll be trying to find a way to listen to the races from some other source while enjoying the view in HD.
Welcome to the forum, you should give yourself a proper introduction...

Although I couldn't agree more with you on how BAD Fox's coverage is... the trio of Bob Varsha, David Hobbs, and Steve Matchett are actually pretty good if not down right astute in my opinion. Especially David Hobbs and Steve Matchett. I do miss Peter Windsor bumping around in the grid before a race start, but I think not only do we get a decent variety of opinions, but they've picked up on quite a few things during the telecasts that others (in Europe) have missed. They've often called techniques and possible accidents or technical issue before they're announced via race radio or they're made obvious.

Perhaps they talk a lot... but they're sitting in a studio watching a screen the same way we are, perhaps it would be different if they were actually at the GP venues!
I see what you mean about chatting too much, but they often do quiet up for radio broadcasts and occasionally for onboard shots. They seem to be genuine fans of the sport, especially when Steve Matchett gets into tech mode, or whenever David Hobbs remembers his driving days, or Bob's near encyclopedic knowledge of events. (I also miss Peter Windsor, and I could care less about what little Billy Buxton has to say)

I'd say all in all, it's not so bad. (Hell of a lot better than some of the characters on Speed TV.)
A three man commentary team? That seems excessive...Or have I misunderstood and one of them's a pit reporter?
Sorry Thought my "rant" was my opinion. I run a Porsche restoration shop and worked in formula one during the Turbo days.. I have restored many high (and low) end cars and have a lot of time behind the wheel at many tracks around the world. Did not mean to insinuate the trio is that bad. Yes they act like the Pope is talking and "shut up" when the radio transmission comes on. Which usually has no real information...it is time delayed. Just wish they would be quiet when the in car feed is there with an 8 screaming its song at 18K. or going through gears etc. So much to hear, the engine tells a lot... Steve does seem to quiet down for these but David will chime right in with another boy o boy or something. Peter's grid walk is indeed missed. Certainly there is nothing like being at the race itself. I can only claim 6 of those so far. We could do worse, just my hope for a little improvement.
Sorry Thought my "rant" was my opinion. I run a Porsche restoration shop and worked in formula one during the Turbo days.. I have restored many high (and low) end cars and have a lot of time behind the wheel at many tracks around the world. Did not mean to insinuate the trio is that bad. Yes they act like the Pope is talking and "shut up" when the radio transmission comes on. Which usually has no real information...it is time delayed. Just wish they would be quiet when the in car feed is there with an 8 screaming its song at 18K. or going through gears etc. So much to hear, the engine tells a lot... Steve does seem to quiet down for these but David will chime right in with another boy o boy or something. Peter's grid walk is indeed missed. Certainly there is nothing like being at the race itself. I can only claim 6 of those so far. We could do worse, just my hope for a little improvement.

Ok, so F1 work experience... REALLY welcome to the forum, I'd love to hear some of your opinions on the turbo 1.6 reqs for 2013, since yo seem to like both lots of cylinders but you've also gotta have a soft spot for turbos.

You're allowed the rant, but I think your argument was two fold, and most people here would not argue with you about part of the essence of the sport being the sonic experience.

Tail end of last year, the SPEED web site actually showed the practice sessions... no commentary, just the cars, the noise and the video feed. It was a nice experience and a big change of pace to hear the sounds without the chatter. But obviously you need the talking heads, especially when they're knowledgeable talking heads.
A three man commentary team? That seems excessive...Or have I misunderstood and one of them's a pit reporter?

Yup 3 + 1 on location in the pits.
The three main commentators are quite different personalities with different backgrounds (Steve Matchett, e.g., used to be a Benetton mechanic with MS), so it's a nice mix.

Yup 3 + 1 on location in the pits.
The three main commentators are quite different personalities with different backgrounds (Steve Matchett, e.g., used to be a Benetton mechanic with MS), so it's a nice mix.

He also seems to have some relationships with Red Bull, because they give him inside access to A LOT of their engineering, showing transmissions and really detailed engineering of current and previous years car bits.

Hobbs is an old time racer with a lot of firs hand experience, rubbing elbows with Sir Jakie. He mentioned this past season being at the first Silverstone GP as a boy, which is always really cool to hear from people with that kind of first hand historical experience. The last guy Varsha is an American every day car guy, club racer, but is an encyclopedia of knowledge, he's a smart guy that wound up commentating on F1 as a happy little accident of life.
I haven't read a lot about the regs they are thinking of putting in place...way too early. I am excited about the return of turbos for sure. The new technology we have will make them more of a lineal torque curve vs the explosive turbo lag from days of old. Without regulating the fuel and mapping systems as a minimum, engineers will have no trouble making engines that will produce well over 1200 HP with ease. In the 80s I saw data from qualifying engines that had 1530 HP from 1.5 l displacement. Thats one horse power per cubic centimeter of displacement. Imagine a push mower with 150 HP. They want new technology to be used in production vehicles so I see a lot of rules including longevity.... instead of...here's your displacement and ECU limits, go play....very cool engine failures too.
I haven't read a lot about the regs they are thinking of putting in place...way too early. I am excited about the return of turbos for sure. The new technology we have will make them more of a lineal torque curve vs the explosive turbo lag from days of old. Without regulating the fuel and mapping systems as a minimum, engineers will have no trouble making engines that will produce well over 1200 HP with ease. In the 80s I saw data from qualifying engines that had 1530 HP from 1.5 l displacement. Thats one horse power per cubic centimeter of displacement. Imagine a push mower with 150 HP. They want new technology to be used in production vehicles so I see a lot of rules including longevity.... instead of...here's your displacement and ECU limits, go play....very cool engine failures too.

The turbo engines of past I4's were the bomb's literally. I like you am excited about the new turbo era as I'm a boost head but I'm also not sure if there will be a HP or boost limit, there will be one though. If anyone else keep's up to date with current road car tech/happening's the turbo is back producing more hp with better fuel economy in a smaller and lighter package so in that sense F1 is on the right path, jmo of course.
I like some of both worlds. I like when they go quiet and let us have a good listen to the onboards, but they are also quite humurous in my opinion. Maybe they could just quiet down a little more frequently and we'd all be happy?

See our F1 related articles too!