FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
Ok let me get this straight, you believe the 'racing line' around a track is the one that should only be followed by certain types of cars? Dude you have apparently never raced :yes: . The racing line is the quickest line via that track, I can't believe your disputing this fact based merely upon the car?

The racing line will change depending on tire wear, weight and how the car is set up. It is affected by the brakes and affected by the available downforce... in all cars these SHOULD be different. Hence... their racing line should be different as well. Not only different from one car to another, but also from one time to another.......... if you think the racing line is the quickest line accross that track and that it is 'tattooed' on the track, then you will always be struggling for pace ;)

That is true, but really the differences are negligible in F1 because the cars are so fast. If a driver is heavy on fuel or on worn tyres the line a driver then takes is dictated by necessity rather than it being the absolute best line through a corner, except for certain rare corners where a different line may be taken through sheer driver preference. Of course, this all goes out the window in the wet, and more potential racing lines appear...
What seem's too be lost here is every track has a 'racing line' which is the quickest way around the track

No, everyone knows that, we are just saying that the main line may change slightly depending on fuel/tyres/driver style/etc. Like i already said though, it's basically a negligible difference.

Here is a good example of what my point is. The main line is basically the same but in some corners the drivers take a slightly, very slightly different line if you look closely.

[youtube]-nOvc3cKJfQ[/youtube]

different series do not matter because this is a F1 forum.

The title of this area is "F1 & Motorsport Media".
Ok let me get this straight, you believe the 'racing line' around a track is the one that should only be followed by certain types of cars? Dude you have apparently never raced :yes: . The racing line is the quickest line via that track, I can't believe your disputing this fact based merely upon the car?

The racing line will change depending on tire wear, weight and how the car is set up. It is affected by the brakes and affected by the available downforce... in all cars these SHOULD be different. Hence... their racing line should be different as well. Not only different from one car to another, but also from one time to another.......... if you think the racing line is the quickest line accross that track and that it is 'tattooed' on the track, then you will always be struggling for pace ;)

your both right you lemons!

See our F1 related articles too!