FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
EXCELLENT! Remarkable comparison. One thing that struck me on the vids is that there were about 18 different lines taken by the various cars! There was 1 line by the F1 cars... no variance whatsoever!
I suppose the different lines of the non F1 cars are to do with the dynamics of that car, where as an F1 car is very similar to each other in weight distribution, down force, grip etc. Where as the Caterham 7 and the Porsche etc will have totally different characteristics
The problem is when yo uwatch it for years you just get used to it? and don't appreciate the raw power of these beasts. But when you see videos like that, you are just slapped in the face with how peorful these machines are, this truly is the greatest sport in the world!!

GLAD to be back guys. :thumbup:
I suppose the different lines of the non F1 cars are to do with the dynamics of that car, where as an F1 car is very similar to each other in weight distribution, down force, grip etc. Where as the Caterham 7 and the Porsche etc will have totally different characteristics

:yes:
Further insight into that whole "racing line" issue on F1 crashes and so on...... Watching F1 for a long time makes people believe that there is a racing line. There is no such thing. Racing lines overlap because the cars are very similar, but... there is no such thing.
Further insight into that whole "racing line" issue on F1 crashes and so on...... Watching F1 for a long time makes people believe that there is a racing line. There is no such thing. Racing lines overlap because the cars are very similar, but... there is no such thing.

You can't be serious? :rolleyes:

Do you actually understand, nix that, comprehend what a 'racing line' is?

eh.... yup. I think....
And by understanding what it is, you should also understand it is not a specific "place" in the track, but rather a dynamic concept.

eh.... yup. I think....
And by understanding what it is, you should also understand it is not a specific "place" in the track, but rather a dynamic concept.

Ok let me get this straight, you believe the 'racing line' around a track is the one that should only be followed by certain types of cars? Dude you have apparently never raced :yes: . The racing line is the quickest line via that track, I can't believe your disputing this fact based merely upon the car?
Ok let me get this straight, you believe the 'racing line' around a track is the one that should only be followed by certain types of cars? Dude you have apparently never raced :yes: . The racing line is the quickest line via that track, I can't believe your disputing this fact based merely upon the car?

The racing line will change depending on tire wear, weight and how the car is set up. It is affected by the brakes and affected by the available downforce... in all cars these SHOULD be different. Hence... their racing line should be different as well. Not only different from one car to another, but also from one time to another.......... if you think the racing line is the quickest line accross that track and that it is 'tattooed' on the track, then you will always be struggling for pace ;)

See our F1 related articles too!