FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
By Fred_C_Dobbs
James Hunt movie in the pipeline?

Should be very entertaining. There was never a more politically incorrect character in F1.

Hunt celebrating ...er ...something ...with a fag, a brew and a bird ...as was his habit.
Wonder if they would include his ridiculous and completely unfair decade long one man character assasination and disparaging of the abilities of Riccardo Patrese, even after he was proven to be completely wrong in the basis for his campaign, which the BBC should have clamped down on and told him to shut his mouth? I've never forgiven him for that. James Hunt was a great driver, and equally entertaining pundit, but also an unprofessional idiot at times.
there was a great documentary on a tv channel over here called itv which was about james and his mate barry sheen, i thought that was very entertaining
there was a great documentary on a tv channel over here called itv which was about james and his mate barry sheen, i thought that was very entertaining

I watched it last night. It's title is, "When Playboys Ruled the World." Not only is it full of great stories about Hunt and Sheen, it has three brief bits that I thought priceless. There's snips of Patrick Depailler driving a 6-wheeled Tyrell P-34 around the Monaco circuit, and a TV advert with Eric Idle in false mustache and sideboards harassing James Hunt, and actual film of Hunt punching a flagman to the ground after crashing out of the 1977 Canadian GP.

There's also footage of Lauda before and after the Nürburgring fire and The Mod Scot having on Hunt at an Awards ceremony. Good stuff, that.
Alex Pettyfer (Wildchild, Stormbreaker) has been tapped by Dreamworks to play F1 Driver/1976 WDC/BBC Commentator/Parrot Breeder James Hunt in a film adaptation of the Tom Rubython biography, Shunt: The Story Of James Hunt. The film is currently in the script re-writing stage of development.
alex_pettyfer_2079110.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In movies, that is.

Film on F1 great Niki Lauda in the works

Apr.29 (GMM) Oscar-nominated British film writer Peter Morgan is working on a script to immortalise the most famous season in Formula 1 great Niki Lauda’s successful career.

Morgan, best known for writing The Queen and Frost/Nixon, is focusing on the 1976 season, when Lauda almost burned to death in a fiery crash but returned six weeks later to battle James Hunt for the title which the Austrian lost at a rain soaked Japanese GP.

The typically blunt Lauda joked to Vienna radio Oe3 that he is giving some thought to which actor might depict him in the film.

“Anyone who is 25 or 26 with his right ear burnt off and dreams to be made up to look like me can start making plans,” he announced.

DPA news agency said Morgan, whose project is being actively supported by 62-year-old Lauda, is seeking a producer and director for the project.

Lauda won 25 grands prix and three world championships and is also famous for his airline businesses. He is still a regular in the Formula 1 paddock, appearing as a straight talking pundit for German television.
It's pretty good. Definitely has a bias in the Senna/Prost dichotomy. Really long. like 2:45 or something.

I honestly liked Top Gear's tribute to him better, and it was only 15 minutes.
Movie on Niki Lauda to be called Rush

Jun.22 (GMM) A Hollywood movie about Formula 1 legend, three times World Champion, Niki Lauda will be called ‘Rush’.

We reported in April that British script writer Peter Morgan, best known for The Queen and Frost/Nixon, was working on a screenplay to immortalise the harrowing 1976 Grand Prix season.

Driving for Ferrari, 35 years ago, Lauda almost burned to death in a fiery crash at the at the fearsome 22.8 km Nürburgring (Nordschleife) but returned six weeks later – heavily scarred – to battle James Hunt for the title.

It was recently believed that Bourne Ultimatum and Green Zone director Paul Greengrass would direct Rush, but the LA Times quotes a source as saying The Da Vinci Code’s Ron Howard is now being touted to lead the project.

Having gained the financial backing for the project, producers “aim to shoot this year in Europe”, revelaed the report.

Portrait of one tough S.O.B.
By racechick
I apologise if you already know about it, I didnt...well I dont think I did :confused:
Anyway.... new Hollywood movie about the showdown between James Hunt and Nikki Lauda in the 1976 world championship.
Here's a few bits of info about it:-

Playing James Hunt -Chris Hemworth (Thor/Avengers)Looks like him!
Playing Lauda-Daniel Bruhl
The director, Ron Howard, seems pleased not to have used any token American actors to appease the home market
Brands Hatch being used for of the Monza scenes.
The crash will be filmed at the Nordschleife itself.(the only actual footage of the crash was filmed by an eight year old boy so they're going to refilm using stunt drivers)
Niki Faulkner a British racer will teach the actors and co-ordinate the the driving sequences. He doubles for Hunt but his parents actually named after Lauda.
Inflatable dummies will be used to fill the grandstands.
Hunt's original championship winning Mclaren and Lauda's Ferrari are used for the detail shots but replicas for the action shots.

A couple of quotes from the director
" This really was a time when umpalumpa was safe and motor racing was dangerous. The deathe each year were like combat statistics, but no one would back off"

" If Hollywood had written the script from scratch, it would not have been believed".

Hmmm. Im looking forward to this :)

See our F1 related articles too!