FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
The BBC is set to confirm that Jonathan Legard will no longer form part of its F1 commentary team next year, and that he is to be replaced alongside Martin Brundle by David Coulthard.

We have learned from a source close to Legard that the former Radio 5 Live man’s contract will not be renewed into 2011, following two seasons in the F1 commentary box during which the 49-year-old failed to hit it off with Brundle and committed a number of well-publicised gaffes.

Crash.net understands that Brundle – a favourite both amongst F1 fans and inside the corporation – has successfully persuaded the BBC to replace Legard with his fellow former grand prix ace Coulthard, a driver who triumphed 13 times in the top flight between 1995 and 2003. The Scot will dovetail his new commentating duties with his ongoing punditry role alongside ex-team owner Eddie Jordan and the Beeb’s anchorman Jake Humphrey.

Whilst a BBC spokesman told us that ‘we’re still looking at our line-up for next year’s F1 coverage’, Crash.net has been reliably informed that Legard’s replacement by Coulthard is a done-deal, with the lack of chemistry and personality clash with Brundle a key factor in the decision. MotoGP commentator Charlie Cox had previously been mooted as the most likely candidate to take over the reins.

‘DC’ ranked seventh out of the 13 choices we proposed to you in our poll back in September as to who should partner Brundle in 2011, with Legard tenth. David Croft was your runaway favourite with 20 per cent of the vote, with current ITV BTCC commentator Ben Edwards second.

Legard being sacked is no surprise, but DC and Martin would be an interesting combo that i wouldn't at all suspect...
Stupid, and what reason is this, that he made as many mistakes as Murray Walker if not less? That he comes yup with utter random quotes that Murray did? That he doesnt have the right tone of voice?

Nothing like pushy little self proclaimed "fans" that will allow their F1 experience to be ruined by a single commentator. Is that really what matters to you most?

Lets face it most that hate him, and i mean detest, nostaligic bar stewards, funnily enough who probably never saw F1 when Murray commentated but have heard of the legend of Walker and will henceforth badmouth everyone that BBC chooses to put in post-retirement, in my opinion any one of Legard,Coulthard, or Croft is good for the job. Really enthusiastic good natured commentator in ruins for no good reason at all, just pettyness.
How dare you compare Jonathan Legard to Murray Walker, that's complete and utter sacrilege! But on a serious note, I never liked Legard from the first time I heard his voice, he just didn't seem to fit in. Yes, Walker made lots of verbal mistakes, more out of excitement and passion for the sport I believe, but he knew his motorsport, Legard in my personal opinion is out of his depth and certainly doesn't have a great personality to make up for his shortcomings in his knowledge of F1.
Stupid, and what reason is this, that he made as many mistakes as Murray Walker if not less? That he comes yup with utter random quotes that Murray did? That he doesnt have the right tone of voice?

Nothing like pushy little self proclaimed "fans" that will allow their F1 experience to be ruined by a single commentator. Is that really what matters to you most?

Lets face it most that hate him, and i mean detest, nostaligic bar stewards, funnily enough who probably never saw F1 when Murray commentated but have heard of the legend of Walker and will henceforth badmouth everyone that BBC chooses to put in post-retirement, in my opinion any one of Legard,Coulthard, or Croft is good for the job. Really enthusiastic good natured commentator in ruins for no good reason at all, just pettyness.

I disagree, Murry made mistakes but also was entertaining whilst doing it, he also had many other quality traits.

Legard misses the basics, constantly makes mistakes, rarely gives out useful race information, doesn't deliver quality presentation of what he is saying, is too repetitive with his phrases. . .
I was unaware of this purported bad chemistry between Brundle and Legard. Not something the viewer can detect or is it me?
Gaffes? I don't get it. As someone here just said(too lazy to check who) Murray Walker made more than anybody and it wasn't a problem.
Frankly, I didn't even notice that this guy beside Brundle wasn't James Allen.
And as for DC, I don't have a problem with that, but as a matter of acedemics I always thought it was supposed to be one tv sport journalist and one ex athelete colour man. MB & DC makes 2 colour men and no TV guy. Not that I have a problem with that.
This is great news. I really don't like Legard. There is absolutely no chemistry between him and Brundle (who is great). I think the beeb wanted a Murray replacement, so they picked someone who could talk fast and get that excited tone, but he has proved to be just awful. I lived in America for years, and they have the perfect team. I think us Brits are just conditioned to a Murray Walker type commentary and we really don't need it.

In America, they have these three guys who just chat, go back and forth, joke around and it beats the beeb coverage by miles. I think DC and Brundle would make a great team, very excited by this news :clap:
This is great news. I really don't like Legard. There is absolutely no chemistry between him and Brundle (who is great). I think the beeb wanted a Murray replacement, so they picked someone who could talk fast and get that excited tone, but he has proved to be just awful. I lived in America for years, and they have the perfect team. I think us Brits are just conditioned to a Murray Walker type commentary and we really don't need it.

In America, they have these three guys who just chat, go back and forth, joke around and it beats the beeb coverage by miles. I think DC and Brundle would make a great team, very excited by this news :clap:

:yes: Steve Matchett, Bob Varsha and David Hobbs are good! :thumbup:

:yes: Steve Matchett, Bob Varsha and David Hobbs are good! :thumbup:

:thumbup: They are a great team.

See our F1 related articles too!